123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dell's new "Studio Slim"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> SFF Computer and Netbook Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aquafire
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which would I recommend..?

Now that's a question that, depending on who answers, will get you a dozen or more answers.

Anyway, first things first.

Linux: is a type of operating system that originally arose from Unix.

So in a way, its got a cousin family relationship to OS X.

That said, Linux isl different to OS X and it comes in dozens of different types.

Some "Distros" (that's what linux users call them) will already sound familiar.

Ubuntu is one... Hackersmovie, Ghosty and other guys love it.

It uses a desktop enviroment that is similar to what you see with OS X.

In Ubuntu, that environment is called "Gnome"

So in a sense, its the easiest to get familiar with...especially if you come solely from a Mac background.

On the otherhand, there is Kubuntu which is virtually the same as Ubuntu.....except that it uses a different desktop environment.

In Kubuntu's case, it uses KDE...which is similar to Vista and XP layout.

So to start with I'd suggest you play with Ubuntu, just to dip your toes..

Oh and you can download a free copy from here...

Ubuntu..tp://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download

Cheers

Aqua

This is a typical example of Ubuntu...

Which would you choose?

OS X : LinuX : UniX or MS-BolloX.
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice background, theme and menubar setup, Aqua. What are you using?
Aquafire
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
Nice background, theme and menubar setup, Aqua. What are you using?

Fox,

That's not mine, I just borrowed it to show what Gnome can be made to look like.

The image links back to this interesting Linux blog...

http://blog.mypapit.net/2007/07/download-cool-desktop-themes-from-gnome-lookorg.html

Cheers

Aqua

PS : Besides, you should know by now that I am more of a KDE fan.... Cool

This one is mine... Using Granular KDE..

Cheers

Aqua

Which would you choose?

Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went through a stage of trying to make Ubuntu look more like OS X. Now I'm back to something more traditional. I think it's called the circle of Ubuntu. Everyone seems to go through the process. Wink
Krametash

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh... Thanks guys, for the advice. Other than familiarising myself with different OS's, what other advantages are there to checking out Linux/Ubuntu? Also, I read somewhere that the Linux OS runs less like an actual OS, but more like an app, meaning I wouldn't have to reboot into Linux to use it, just open it when I feel like it. Does this seem feasible, or do I just sound like a rambling idiot? Sorry, I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to linux (which is why I'm so eager to test it out! Smile

Edit: My external FW drive is formatted to Mac OS Extended (Journaled). If I installed Ubuntu on this, would I be able to "see" this drive in Ubuntu? I know that If I was to plug this drive into a PC, it wouldn't read it because of the format.
20" Samsung Widescreen display
Aquafire
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben_Tex wrote:
I went through a stage of trying to make Ubuntu look more like OS X. Now I'm back to something more traditional. I think it's called the circle of Ubuntu. Everyone seems to go through the process. Wink

Well Ben,

I went through that phase once, way back when I first started using Fedora 5 or 6.

But that was years ago.

In the meantime,

The image I posted above, shows what Granular Linux looks like straight out of the box.

All I have done, is add a wallpaper and scale the standard KDE panel to my taste... Cool

As for 'something more tradition'....

Geez Ben, I hope your not suggesting the olde dull Windows look, combined with that truly awful Ubuntu orange brown-baby poo decor..? Razz Wink

Cheers olde son...

Aqua

Which would you choose?

Last edited by Aquafire on Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Aquafire
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krametash wrote:
Ahhh... Thanks guys, for the advice. Other than familiarising myself with different OS's, what other advantages are there to checking out Linux/Ubuntu?
Basically in a nutshell.

Freedom of choice. Freedom to configure as you wish. Freedom to use free software. & so far at least... Freedom from viruses.

Krametash wrote:
Also, I read somewhere that the Linux OS runs less like an actual OS, but more like an app, meaning I wouldn't have to reboot into Linux to use it, just open it when I feel like it.

Hmmm, I think what you are referring to, is the ability of Linux to be installed onto a flashdrive, CD or USB stick and to be able to start up from there.

This sort of "Live" process was started by Klaus Knopper, who created Knoppix. Nowadays, most Linux distros offer a 'Live' version which may also include the option of running Linux live from a USB or flashcard etc.

This is particularly useful in situations where you don't want to touch the hard-drive. It is also turns Linux, into good tool for salvaging files from a badly crashed Windows machine.

Krametash wrote:
Do I just sound like a rambling idiot? Sorry, I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to linux (which is why I'm so eager to test it out!
Mate, don't worry about it...

As a teacher I can say this much...

Better to ask questions and be thought an idiot for a season, than not ask questions and remain an ignorant fool forever...

Krametash wrote:
My external FW drive is formatted to Mac OS Extended (Journaled). If I installed Ubuntu on this, would I be able to "see" this drive in Ubuntu? I know that If I was to plug this drive into a PC, it wouldn't read it because of the format.

Sadly no. Linux reads NTFS which is by Windows OS's.**

That said, it may be possible for Linux to 'read' a windows partition on a Mac. It is feasable, but you might be better served by Hackermovie or Ghostdawg on this issue.

Aqua

** That said, there are some folk in the Linux world who are working on making mac formats 'visible' to Linux..

Which would you choose?

Krametash

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aquafire wrote:
Krametash wrote:
Ahhh... Thanks guys, for the advice. Other than familiarising myself with different OS's, what other advantages are there to checking out Linux/Ubuntu?
Basically in a nutshell.

Freedom of choice. Freedom to configure as you wish. Freedom to use free software. & so far at least... Freedom from viruses.

Krametash wrote:
Also, I read somewhere that the Linux OS runs less like an actual OS, but more like an app, meaning I wouldn't have to reboot into Linux to use it, just open it when I feel like it.

Hmmm, I think what you are referring to, is the ability of Linux to be installed onto a flashdrive, CD or USB stick and to be able to start up from there.

This sort of "Live" process was started by Klaus Knopper, who created Knoppix. Nowadays, most Linux distros offer a 'Live' version which may also include the option of running Linux live from a USB or flashcard etc.

This is particularly useful in situations where you don't want to touch the hard-drive. It is also turns Linux, into good tool for salvaging files from a badly crashed Windows machine.

Krametash wrote:
Do I just sound like a rambling idiot? Sorry, I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to linux (which is why I'm so eager to test it out!
Mate, don't worry about it...

As a teacher I can say this much...

Better to ask questions and be thought an idiot for a season, than not ask questions and remain an ignorant fool forever...

Krametash wrote:
My external FW drive is formatted to Mac OS Extended (Journaled). If I installed Ubuntu on this, would I be able to "see" this drive in Ubuntu? I know that If I was to plug this drive into a PC, it wouldn't read it because of the format.

Sadly no. Linux reads NTFS which is by Windows OS's.**

That said, it may be possible for Linux to 'read' a windows partition on a Mac. It is feasable, but you might be better served by Hackermovie or Ghostdawg on this issue.

Aqua

** That said, there are some folk in the Linux world who are working on making mac formats 'visible' to Linux..

Ahh..So does this mean I won't have to shut down my Mac and reboot into Linux if I wanted to use it?

Bummer about the Hard drive...Would I be able to install Ubuntu onto this hard drive
Aquafire
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My advice, (if you want to take it) is this...

For now, don't worry about loading Linux onto a Mac.

It's far easier to get a taste of linux by running it on a PC.

Do you have access to a cheap PC ?

I spent about $50 on a Compaq Deskpro EN about 5 years ago.

In most cases, you'll need a CD burner or DVD/Cd burner. But these can be had for about $25.00 a piece.

All in all, this little Compaq has served me flawlessly, as a test bench for all things Linux and Windows.

In the process, I have learnt a great deal...about the innards of computers, as well as Operating systems in general

Trust me, if you follow my lead, you'll be spending money on a worthwhile education Cool

Cheers

Aqua

Which would you choose?

Krametash

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aquafire wrote:
My advice, (if you want to take it) is this...

For now, don't worry about loading Linux onto a Mac.

It's far easier to get a taste of linux by running it on a PC.

Do you have access to a cheap PC ?

I spent about $50 on a Compaq Deskpro EN about 5 years ago.

In most cases, you'll need a CD burner or DVD/Cd burner. But these can be had for about $25.00 a piece.

All in all, this little Compaq has served me flawlessly, as a test bench for all things Linux and Windows.

In the process, I have learnt a great deal...about the innards of computers, as well as Operating systems in general

Trust me, if you follow my lead, you'll be spending money on a worthwhile education Cool

Cheers

Aqua

Well, the only two PCs in my house right now belong to my dad and my bro. I'll have to wait till my brother goes off to uni, then see if I can have his pc....then I can make it my Linux machine! Cool I'll let you know if I get around to it. It's prob a good idea to follow your advice and stay away from Linux on a mac.

Thanks Aqua,
Kramer
Aquafire
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kramer,

For what it's worth, take a look at various Linux magazines. Often, they come with DVD disks, that allow you to boot into Linux without fooling with the Computer hard drive.

If your in a hurry, then download a disk from Distrowatch or buy a disk..from ebay.

Otherwise, pm me your address and I will see if I can forward a copy of Ubuntu and Kubuntu to you...

I have a distribution account with Canonical (the makers of Ubuntu, Kubuntu & Xubuntu etc)

Cheers

Aqua

Which would you choose?

Krametash

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aquafire wrote:
Kramer,

For what it's worth, take a look at various Linux magazines. Often, they come with DVD disks, that allow you to boot into Linux without fooling with the Computer hard drive.

If your in a hurry, then download a disk from Distrowatch or buy a disk..from ebay.

Otherwise, pm me your address and I will see if I can forward a copy of Ubuntu and Kubuntu to you...

I have a distribution account with Canonical (the makers of Ubuntu, Kubuntu & Xubuntu etc)

Cheers

Aqua

Thanks Aqua, I appreciate your help. I won't trouble you, I just realized I have an old Dell PC, I might go to my local comp centre and spruce it up a little, nothing major, maybe just a HD and RAM upgrade. I'll then install Ubuntu on it and make it my alternative OS box! If all else fails, it's sort of good to have a decent XP box lying around anyway. Smile
Aquafire
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have fun Kramer... Cool

And don't worry if you scuff your knees in the process.

Once you have learnt to fall off a bike...

It becomes second nature..... Wink

Aqua

Which would you choose?

Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aquafire wrote:
Geez Ben, I hope your not suggesting the olde dull Windows look, combined with that truly awful Ubuntu orange brown-baby poo decor..? Razz Wink

Kinda, but not completely. You be the judge though. Here's a quick snapshot.

Aquafire
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a nice set up Ben. And in some ways, it reminds me of gOS's new 'gadgets' release...albeit, minus the dock function..

So from my perspective, neither is any less OS X like than my KDE set up...

Nor should it really matter Ben.

Since so much of what is now part of OS X originated with the Linux world, and part of the attraction of Linux, is its chameleon capacity.

In any-case, I am glad to see, your not stuck on the brown baby poo colour that is the default of Ubuntu.

I swear, its based on a decor nightmare, from out of the 1970's....Wink

Cheers

Aqua

Which would you choose?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> SFF Computer and Netbook Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: