123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dell's new "Studio Slim"
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> SFF Computer and Netbook Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aquafire
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:46 am    Post subject: Dell's new "Studio Slim" Reply with quote

Has anyone taken a look at this newly announced machine...?

(There are two sizes, but I am concentrating on the slim version)

Its fairly small (for Dell) but still uses mostly stock standard parts.

Processors...

Option of CoreTM 2 Duo or CoreTM 2 Quad

Ram.

Capable of taking up to 8GB6 800 MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM.

Four (4) user-accessible DIMM connectors, installed in pairs.

HDD Capacity

Up to 1.28TB Multiple Serial ATA HDD with both bays utilized.

USB - 2

Eight: 2 front, 6 back, 6 internal.

Drive Bays

Three 3.5": (two internal, one external)
Two 5.25" bays

Dimensions

H: 14.2 inches (362 mm)
W: 3.9 inches (100.0 mm)
D: 17.1 inches (435 mm)

Down side...

Doesn't do OS X

But does do Linux...

Also, prices fairly close to Mini...

http://tinyurl.com/3fdaxx

Aqua

Ps : Prices are in $AUS...so don't have a heart attack... Cool

Which would you choose?

OS X : LinuX : UniX or MS-BolloX.
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dell has made similar Inspiron and XPS systems for about the last year. In fact, my sister bought one at Staples like around Christmas time. It's a nice looking box, but fairly deep. I really wouldn't consider it a small form factor machine. The specs are okay though. It's also very quiet. Are you thinking about getting one for Linux or something?
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks pretty nice. Nice that it has HDMI. The 250 Watt power supply isn't that appealing to me.

Hopefully Apple comes out with a computer that's geared toward the living room. Quiet, efficient. HDMI, toslink, TV tuner.
Aquafire
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben_Tex wrote:
Dell has made similar Inspiron and XPS systems for about the last year. In fact, my sister bought one at Staples like around Christmas time. It's a nice looking box, but fairly deep. I really wouldn't consider it a small form factor machine. The specs are okay though. It's also very quiet. Are you thinking about getting one for Linux or something?

Well..kinda thinking about it...Ben...

It would be plenty sufficient for most of my needs. I do agree that its a bit deep for sff, but its similar in dimensions to the Optiplex range of sff.

Mind, they also have a mini tower too. Big by most mini standards, but way smaller than a G5 Mac towers.... Thats for sure.

Bandit Bill wrote:

It looks pretty nice. Nice that it has HDMI. The 250 Watt power supply isn't that appealing to me.

Hopefully Apple comes out with a computer that's geared toward the living room. Quiet, efficient. HDMI, toslink, TV tuner.

Power wise, I don't think its meant to be a gamers machine. Its just for standard Home use...

Cheers

Aqua

Which would you choose?

Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aquafire wrote:
Power wise, I don't think its meant to be a gamers machine. Its just for standard Home use...

I was thinking 250 Watts is too much power consumption. I realize the system will only use what it needs. If a mini can keep me content with a 110 Watt supply (previously 85 Watt, G4 mini) then I see no need to run a machine that potentially consumes double the power.

I'm just thinking from the standpoint of a living room appliance which would be on 24/7.

Last edited by Bandit Bill on Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree, Bill.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
I totally agree, Bill.

Thanks Fox.

It's not like I'm some sort of power consumption freak. I just want to head toward more efficient products daily.

Pretty soon we'll be watching electricity prices like gas prices.
Aquafire
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re the power consumption..

Its interesting to note that its virtually impossible to get a low power supply these days. If you go to a PC shop to built your own standard pc box, you'll find that the lowest power supply is about 500 watts.

At least that is my experience.

Cheers

Aqua

Which would you choose?

Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose I should have expanded on my "agreement". It's about reducing energy consumption of computers (and other things of course). I have three macs operating in my house; two minis and a Cube, all with relatively low power consumption. I read somewhere that even in sleep mode, computers still consume a moderate proportion of their operating power, so I've gone to shutting down two of them at night when use is finished, and one doesn't come on again until my daughter comes home from school in the afternoon. At work, I start my iMac when I arrive and shut it down when I leave.

I have a 20" monitor on my Intel mini (my main computer at home), which I was itching to replace with a 24". When I found out that power consumption of the 24" is about double that of a 20 or 22", I changed my mind. I'm now looking for a good quality 22" (with a TVA panel or equivalent) that also has the usb connectors like my Dell 20". I'm still looking because I don't think any such 22" monitor exists. Maybe they'll come out with a low power consumption 24"????
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess is that the next round of iMacs will have LED backlighting and much lower power consumption. I'm glad my inexpensive Asus EEE 1000h laptop already has it, along with the Atom processor.

I was visiting a PC user the other day and he showed me his home theatre set-up. It was being driven by a Frankenstein PC. The case was open, it had tubes running out of it leading to a liquid cooled radiator with its own fan and power supply. My guess is that machine had around 750 watts worth of power supply, not to mention the amplifier and projection unit.

Back to the Dell. It's great that it looks good, I just hope it's efficient and quiet.
Krametash

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
I suppose I should have expanded on my "agreement". It's about reducing energy consumption of computers (and other things of course). I have three macs operating in my house; two minis and a Cube, all with relatively low power consumption. I read somewhere that even in sleep mode, computers still consume a moderate proportion of their operating power, so I've gone to shutting down two of them at night when use is finished, and one doesn't come on again until my daughter comes home from school in the afternoon. At work, I start my iMac when I arrive and shut it down when I leave.

I have a 20" monitor on my Intel mini (my main computer at home), which I was itching to replace with a 24". When I found out that power consumption of the 24" is about double that of a 20 or 22", I changed my mind. I'm now looking for a good quality 22" (with a TVA panel or equivalent) that also has the usb connectors like my Dell 20". I'm still looking because I don't think any such 22" monitor exists. Maybe they'll come out with a low power consumption 24"????

You could take a look at 23" monitors. They use the same native resolution as a 24", but I'm assuming slightly lower power consumption? So less energy for the same real estate Very Happy

@Aqua: That's a pretty nice looking machine. Might be a good investment if it runs Linux, especially for you! Wink
20" Samsung Widescreen display
Aquafire
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krametash wrote:

@Aqua: That's a pretty nice looking machine. Might be a good investment if it runs Linux, especially for you! Wink

Thanks mate.

Actually don't know if you use Linux at all, but if you are thinking of picking it up, there are a small group of us using it here..

Ghostdawg, Hackers, Fox and a few others... are all into a bit of Linux play..

So if you feel tempted, these guys are very good buddies to have around...

Cheers

Aqua

Which would you choose?

Krametash

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aquafire wrote:
Krametash wrote:

Thanks mate.

Actually don't know if you use Linux at all, but if you are thinking of picking it up, there are a small group of us using it here..

Ghostdawg, Hackers, Fox and a few others... are all into a bit of Linux play..

So if you feel tempted, these guys are very good buddies to have around...

Cheers

Aqua

Well I'm afraid I haven't been much of a Linux user, just Mac and windoze. I'm keen to try it at some point though, and when I do, I'll be sure to refer to you guys for tips! Very Happy
Aquafire
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krametash wrote:

Well I'm afraid I haven't been much of a Linux user, just Mac and windoze. I'm keen to try it at some point though, and when I do, I'll be sure to refer to you guys for tips! Very Happy

Well, let me know when that day arrives.

You won't regret it.

From my POV, Linux has helped to broaden my IT horizons, most especially when it comes to OS's.

In the past four or five years of using Linux, I have gone from being a fanboy of one OS ...Mac of course......to something of an OS Agnostic...that is, I am now fluent enough with each OS to know what the good and bad points are of each.

It also serves a practical function, in that one becomes increasingly comfortable with whatever OS is loaded on a machine in front of you.

And that sort of flexibility, can't be a bad thing.... Cool

Cheers

Aqua

Which would you choose?

Krametash

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aquafire wrote:
Krametash wrote:

Well, let me know when that day arrives.

You won't regret it.

From my POV, Linux has helped to broaden my IT horizons, most especially when it comes to OS's.

In the past four or five years of using Linux, I have gone from being a fanboy of one OS ...Mac of course......to something of an OS Agnostic...that is, I am now fluent enough with each OS to know what the good and bad points are of each.

It also serves a practical function, in that one becomes increasingly comfortable with whatever OS is loaded on a machine in front of you.

And that sort of flexibility, can't be a bad thing.... Cool

Cheers

Aqua

Well said, you got me itching to try linux.....which version do you recommend? As I understand it, there are heaps of different versions. Also, since you seem to be pretty well versed with OS's, if I was to install an alternative OS on my external HD, what would you recommend? Linux? Ubuntu?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> SFF Computer and Netbook Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: