123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Review: Macessity SlimKey V2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:36 pm    Post subject: Review: Macessity SlimKey V2 Reply with quote

Review: Macessity SlimKey V2
Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Macessity was kind enough to send us their new SlimKey V2 monitor stand to take a look at. It's an updated version of their popular SlimKey Stand, which they still make. Both of these monitor stands are designed specifically with the Mac user in mind. Not only are they aluminum-colored, but they also provide the perfect place to stow away your Apple aluminum keyboard. So how does the SlimKey V2 differ from the original? It offers a side USB 2.0 hub that allows you to connect more devices to your Mac. Now, who doesn't like that?

Read more...

http://www.123macmini.com/accessories/reviews/126.html
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered this product visiting the States this year and brought it back home to Europe. I can tell you, it is HEAVY (I actually reached the maximum weight in my suitcase way to soon!) I like it very much and it can hold quite a bit of weight. (I have a LaCie D2 burner and HD stacked on it as I wanted to use my clear acrylic stand too. Together with the HP 19" widescreen it might be quite heavy on top altogether and it might bend a tiny bit, but it's not really visible. I know it's a junk on my desk, but at least it's sort of organised. Wink One small thing I'd like to have different: The hub is attached quite straight at the inside of the stand, so if you look at the USB plugs at the sides, one can see 0.1 inch of the metal sticking out, in other words the plug does not go in to the plastic, like with the side port of my MiniStack. Let's call it a minor flaw, an optical imperfection. Wink

castaway

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I emailed the company about shipping to the UK, but they never got back with me. It's cool that you were able to pick one up in the States. Also nice to hear about it being sturdy.
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

castaway wrote:
I emailed the company about shipping to the UK, but they never got back with me. It's cool that you were able to pick one up in the States. Also nice to hear about it being sturdy.

Yes, it's good to have family in The States, but don't ask them to pick something up or bring it from the stores Wink I ordered it right from their website and as delivery address my brother in law's address Very Happy As people in the medical proffesion they often work evening- and nightshifts so in the daytime they very well can receive packages. I also ordered this* from Canada and luckily I was able to pick it up from a Post Office relatively close by on the day we were leaving! (though: man was I glad I brought my Tom Tom 920 GPS with me, with beside the whole of Europe also USA/Canada on it, it helped me a lot to find places and addresses!)

* I ordered this too, 2 times CinnaMount mini Silver Edition v2:

These are extremely light weight, but sturdy enough for your mini. I bought 2 so eventually another Mac Mini formfactor appliance can sit on the bottom (now it is a LaCie USB floppydisc I use once in a while)
Yvan256
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

James T Kirk wrote:
* I ordered this too, 2 times CinnaMount mini Silver Edition v2:

These are extremely light weight, but sturdy enough for your mini. I bought 2 so eventually another Mac Mini formfactor appliance can sit on the bottom (now it is a LaCie USB floppydisc I use once in a while)

Hey, they're upside-down! Shocked
2nd gen. iPod shuffle (1 GiB)
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yvan256 wrote:

Correct! And it works great! Wink As said I could not find a "rack" for the mini and it's formfactor HD cases, so let's be creative. Maybe an idea for the manufacturers amongst us as I asked for something like this already 2 years ago, but nobody responded. They brought out all kind of periferals and hanging-racks, but nothing like this. Idea Actually I talked with quite a bunch of mini owners but they never could find something like this either.
Yvan256
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

James T Kirk wrote:
Yvan256 wrote:

Correct! And it works great! Wink As said I could not find a "rack" for the mini and it's formfactor HD cases, so let's be creative. Maybe an idea for the manufacturers amongst us as I asked for something like this already 2 years ago, but nobody responded. They brought out all kind of periferals and hanging-racks, but nothing like this. Idea Actually I talked with quite a bunch of mini owners but they never could find something like this either.

Since the Mac mini-sized components all stack together, and simple stick-on rubber foot can add space between them to help with the airflow, I thought the market for such units would be minimal at best. The fact that we still don't know what Apple is going to do with the Mac mini doesn't help either. Wink
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yvan256 wrote:

Since the Mac mini-sized components all stack together, and simple stick-on rubber foot can add space between them to help with the airflow, I thought the market for such units would be minimal at best. The fact that we still don't know what Apple is going to do with the Mac mini doesn't help either. Wink

Well I had stick on rubber feet as an cheap alternative but this looks and works way 'cooler' Laughing On 'top of that' I already suggested it in 2006 as soon as the Mini form factor HD drives appeared. Razz Anyway, Apple people should be 'creative' people after all.. Very Happy
Yvan256
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James T Kirk wrote:
Yvan256 wrote:

Well I had stick on rubber feet as an cheap alternative but this looks and works way 'cooler' Laughing On 'top of that' I already suggested it in 2006 as soon as the Mini form factor HD drives appeared. Razz Anyway, Apple people should be 'creative' people after all.. Very Happy

Well, I did have something on the drawing board around that time too, but it had to be put in standby for other products.
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yvan256 wrote:

Well, I did have something on the drawing board around that time too, but it had to be put in standby for other products.

And now you don't know if Apple will keep on continue the Mini. Anyway one will be challenged to jump into the market as soon something new appears! Very Happy
CaliforniaMini
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VicDelmonte wrote:
Trying to find this stand, but I'm not sure where I could buy it now. Any ideas?

Take your pick:

http://www.amazon.com/SlimKey-V2-Stand-USB2-0-hub/dp/B001CYM542/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1287948014&sr=8-1

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Macessity/SLIMKEYV2/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shoppingengine&utm_campaign=googlebase

http://www.powermax.com/parts/show/a-sli-slimkeyv2?utm_source=Google%2BProduct%2BSearch&utm_medium=Referral&utm_campaign=Google%2BProduct%2BSearch&src=g

http://www.smalldog.com/product/74379/macessity-slimkey-stand-v2-w-integrated-usb-2-0-hub/atfgc
Mini 2.0GHz (Early 2009), 4GB RAM, 320GB 72k RPM HD
vaslimdt

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaliforniaMini wrote:
VicDelmonte wrote:
Trying to find this stand, but I'm not sure where I could buy it now. Any ideas?

Take your pick:

http://www.amazon.com/SlimKey-V2-Stand-USB2-0-hub/dp/B001CYM542/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1287948014&sr=8-1

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Macessity/SLIMKEYV2/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shoppingengine&utm_campaign=googlebase

http://www.powermax.com/parts/show/a-sli-slimkeyv2?utm_source=Google%2BProduct%2BSearch&utm_medium=Referral&utm_campaign=Google%2BProduct%2BSearch&src=g

http://www.smalldog.com/product/74379/macessity-slimkey-stand-v2-w-integrated-usb-2-0-hub/atfgc

Do you know which sit is the cheapest? DO I need paypal to order from there?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: