123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

networking killed everything i had....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thekonuskid

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 2:08 am    Post subject: networking killed everything i had.... Reply with quote

can anyone help me with a little (ha!) problem i'm having. i recently acquired an oldschool, tangerine imac dv (maxed out with a gig of ram, 128 gig hard drive, tiger, etc) and set up a network via ethernet cable between my mac mini and the "new" imac. now, i frequently have the problem of neither computer remembering my dock, screensaver, and background settings on a regular basis (or any settings, for that matter). and also, i transfered my itunes library over to my "new" computer while keeping a copy on the mini also..... but all of a sudden neither library has anything in it at all and the itunes/itunes library folder is empty on both computers (and it doesn't seem to exist on my backed-up-by-superduper clone of my mini's hard drive either for some reason). besides that, all of the programs i purchased rights to (comic life, super duper, etc) have lost those authorizations and don't. i'm running 10.4.2 on both of the computers and i can't figure out why it keeps doing these things. i also lost all the bookmakrs i had in safari as well as my isp internet settings. any thoughts on why my computers keep doing this and is there anything i can do to take care of it... it's really frustrating to (seemingly) start from scratch and go through all this crap on a daily basis. oh, and also.... are there any (free!!!) programs i can use to get the music off of my ipod and back onto my computer? (i'm not paying money to get music back that i already own, and i'm not taking the countless hours of my time to go through my cd's one by one and getting them put back into the computer.... there *has* to be an easy way to get it from the pod back into my itunes library). any help would be appreciated.... and the more responses the merrier. and keep in mind that the itunes thing is the least of my worries.... help with the other things would be appreciated foremost, but a little heads-up on the itunes problem would be great too Wink thanks guys
thekonuskid

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

try it from this angle..... i was digging around in my harddrive and i wonder if this has anything to do with the problem..... when i click on the harddrive icon i get various folders to choose from (as usually happens when you click on your harddrive), when i click on the "users" folder, i get the group of folders among which is a "shared" folder, my home folder, and another folder which i recently decided to rename and use as my main folder...... all of my stuff, i think, is in that folder.... not the one that the computer thinks is my home folder. i think that's why my computer is maybe doing all these crazy things. my question now (if, indeed, that is the problem) is how can i get the computer to either know that the so-called "home" folder is actually no longer my home folder and that the new one is what it needs to get it's info from..... or.... i don't know. i'd just like to know how to take care of it asap. i'm almost positive that's the problem (because when i clicked on the new folder i found things like my itunes songs and garage band songs),.... i just need some clue as to how i can fix it so the computer boots with the info from that folder. any help would be helpful. thanks.
thekonuskid

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry, didn't mean to stump you.

as a last ditch effort, i changed a couple file names and it worked (i renamed the faulty "home" folders and gave the right folders the name on my "home" folder and that was that). almost too easy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: