123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

N Routers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Networking
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which Is the best?
LinkSys WRT61ON
9%
 9%  [ 1 ]
Apple Airport Extreme
54%
 54%  [ 6 ]
D-Link DIR-655 Xtreme N
36%
 36%  [ 4 ]
Netgear WNDR3300
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 11

Squid

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:44 am    Post subject: N Routers Reply with quote

Well I've been looking around for a nice fast Wireless router for my Mini, researched many of the N models as they seem to be the fastest. I know there's lots of discussions between the Airport Extreme, and the Linksys. October's Wired (I get it early because I'm subscribed) does a test of 4 wireless N routers and I wanted to share with the community as well as see your input. Are there tests true to consumer reviews?

Linksys
WRT610N: 8 Out of 10.

Apple
Airport Extreme: 8 Out of 10.

D-Link
DIR-655 Xtreme N: 7 Out of 10

Netgear
WNDR3300 5 Out of 10.

Slightly confusing results, I was originally really looking at the Xtreme N until I saw that Linksys and AAE beat it. But I've read (on these boards) negative reviews of the Linksys.

I'd like something with an extra Gigabit or 2 just in case I want to connect via a Cat 5e or Cat 6, also I want a USB port for printing options. Those are both only optional wants. Whats not optional is performance of course, I need it fast so I can watch TV and movies from Hulu, download large Torrents, and of course load vast amounts of web pages swiftly when I abuse FF's Tab browsing.
32" LN32A450 LCD Samsung
Klipsch Cinema 6 Series
HTC Incredible
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the Mini only having G wireless standards, why the press for an N router? You can save a bunch of bucks buy getting yourself a nice G router.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
hwojtek

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooooh, the mini-pci 802.11g from a Mini swaps so easily for a 802.11n, it's well worth it to consider an "n" network...

(voted for my router)
Squid

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To answer your question Hacker, what Hwojtek said: Upgrading the mini and also with whatever new things come in the future. I'm sure eventually N will be like todays G where everything has it built in. So when that comes I want to already have a router that can play with the new toys.
32" LN32A450 LCD Samsung
Klipsch Cinema 6 Series
HTC Incredible
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

understood, however, your only going to benefit with N if your moving tons of big files across your LAN. I move, literally, gigs of data over my G and 10/100 wired network every day.

could it be faster with a 10/100/1000 - N network? Sure! Is it worth the cost at the moment? Not for me.

As far as wireless/wired routers go.....

I use Apple and D-Link. Totally by preference and personal experience. Easy to set up, never have any problems.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an 802.11n AirPort Extreme and AirPort Express for AirTunes. I wouldn't trade either of them for the world. Therefore, you know how I voted. Other than having to use the AirPort Utility for configuration, which can be a pain in ass, I see no reason to go with anything else. I also agree with Hackers. If you're moving a ton of data, gigabit is the way to go. I wouldn't get obsessed with the 802.11n. I would get it for the future though.
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've made it a practice to stay away from NetGear, used three and all three failed. Since I need to be able to change settings via IP AirPorts are out as an option. Between Linksys and D-Link I would say Linksys, so the WRT610N is my choice, and stay away from D-Link.

"When history is forgotten people don't realize when it repeats."

Going to Missouri S&T!!
Squid

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well after looking into it further, I'm considering the Airport Express. I am moving into an apartment soon, and it doesn't make sense to get something with as much range as the Extreme. I also like the printer attached capabilities, though I wish it had NAS drive capabilities and/or more gigabit ports like the Extreme. Though I could always buy a router if I really wanted more ports. That and spending $99 seems way better then $179 Smile
32" LN32A450 LCD Samsung
Klipsch Cinema 6 Series
HTC Incredible
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squid wrote:
Well after looking into it further, I'm considering the Airport Express. I am moving into an apartment soon, and it doesn't make sense to get something with as much range as the Extreme. I also like the printer attached capabilities, though I wish it had NAS drive capabilities and/or more gigabit ports like the Extreme. Though I could always buy a router if I really wanted more ports. That and spending $99 seems way better then $179 Smile

If you buy a router and do that be careful with setup since connecting a router to a router will mess up the network somewhere.

"When history is forgotten people don't realize when it repeats."

Going to Missouri S&T!!
hwojtek

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hwojtek wrote:
Ooooh, the mini-pci 802.11g from a Mini swaps so easily for a 802.11n, it's well worth it to consider an "n" network...

(voted for my router)

Cancel my vote - I swapped my Dlink DIR-655 for an Apple Airport Extreme Base Station 802.11n with Gigabit Ethernet and I absolutely love it. It does not have the ultra-fine-grained routing settings of the Dlink, the dyndns support, QoS tuning and millions of other functions, however it is simple as a pie to set up and very, very stable. Plus it allows an USB2 hard disk drive to be shared using AFP and not a windows-only application and last but not least - AEBS is a dual range acces point, so I could switch to 5 GHz wireless and enjoy full-speed N on all my N-equipped computers.

The DIR-655 is a fine piece of equipment, however - I am currently researching the ability of attaching a 3G USB modem to it, and using the Dlink as a permanent solution for Internet access/wireless networking in another house that has no access to any cable but lies within a 3G network range.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Networking All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: