123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

looking for good wireless-networked printer + HD solution

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Networking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
albireo13

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:22 am    Post subject: looking for good wireless-networked printer + HD solution Reply with quote

In my household I have an IMac, macmini, a WINXP box, and a few macbooks alll networked with my Linksys G router. This all works well now but there are no shared resources ... only used for internet so far.

I would like to have a networked printer (and also possibly hard-drive) so that documents can be printed from anywhere in the house. File storage is a want but priority is for reliable networked printer.

Id' like a standalone box since I don't want to worry about leaving a pc on all the time.

The Apple Time Capsule intruiges me but I have heard mixed reports on printer sharing, especially with WIN boxes.

Is this the best option? Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Rob
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: looking for good wireless-networked printer + HD solutio Reply with quote

albireo13 wrote:
The Apple Time Capsule intruiges me but I have heard mixed reports on printer sharing, especially with WIN boxes.

I only had the TC for a day or so, but I can tell you that Bonjour printing with the TC and AirPort Extreme (which I use now), works great. My wife uses it with Vista all the time.
albireo13

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: looking for good wireless-networked printer + HD solutio Reply with quote

Why did you get rid of the TC?
I actually am all set on wireless router. I would just like a wireless print server and HD.

Rob

devo wrote:
albireo13 wrote:

I only had the TC for a day or so, but I can tell you that Bonjour printing with the TC and AirPort Extreme (which I use now), works great. My wife uses it with Vista all the time.

devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: looking for good wireless-networked printer + HD solutio Reply with quote

albireo13 wrote:
Why did you get rid of the TC?
I actually am all set on wireless router. I would just like a wireless print server and HD.

It ran a little too warm for my liking. I was also somewhat disappointed with the performance.

Honestly, I think you should just replace your current router with AirPort Extreme and use the USB port with a hub for printing and AirDisk. It's a hard combo to beat.
Krametash

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can actually wirelessly share a printer/hd if it's connected to one of your computers. Just go to system prefs then sharing, and you get a whole list of things to share, even you optical drive! I can share my printer that is connected to my windows machine through my network perfectly.
If you don't need a new router, I wouldn't go buy one that has a USB port for printer/hd sharing, as you can do it via one of your macs.

Hope this helped,
Kramer Smile
20" Samsung Widescreen display
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Networking All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: