123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Crossover Games - Steam

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Gaming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DMXell

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:04 pm    Post subject: Crossover Games - Steam Reply with quote

I've just begun recording a massive video about various Steam games (Counter-Strike, Half-Life 2, Quake, etc) which can work on the Mac Mini from within Crossover Games. When the videos are done I will post them here (note - they will not look as nice due to the fact that the screen recorder kills a bit of performance).
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Great question.

Did they finally fix crossover for games to run more counter strike type games.

Because when i tried to run a game through crossover i tried to run the first half life and the game failed to run and would run correctly when i ran the game via crossover regular edition the game ran just fine.

Why???

Isn't crossover the same application for both gaming and applications??
DMXell

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crossover Games is designed specifically for gaming. Some FPS games simply cannot be run, like Team Fortress 2 and Portal. However others, like Half-Life 2 can be run with a bit of tweaking.
DMXell

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Half-Life 2 on the Mac Mini (1.66 GHz Core Duo): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbgmROm2n4g

How to:

1) In Steam, right-click Half-Life 2 and select "Properties."

2) Click "Set Launch Options..."

3) Copy and paste (copy with command+c and paste with control+v) the following into the new Steam window:
Code:
+mat_forcehardwaresync 0 -dxlevel 70 +mat_bumpmap 0 +mat_specular 0 +map_background none -autoconfig

4) Click "OK"

5) Click "Close"

6) Launch Half-Life 2 and enjoy =)

This will set Half-Life 2 to play in directx 7 mode, as well as disable several options which will completely kill performance. As you can see in the video above (which is mine by the way), the game is extremely playable at a decent resolution.
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool!!!!
emax4

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you also have Windows installed, the regular versions work fine, and I have a 1.83 Ghz Core 2 Duo. I picked up the Half Life Anthology from Half-Price books for $10 and the games work fine. Keep in mind these are the originals, not Half-Life 2 and Portal.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Gaming All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: