123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ATV/Mini Setup...almost there!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Apple TV
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CNK

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:44 am    Post subject: ATV/Mini Setup...almost there! Reply with quote

Hi All....
It's been a few weeks since posting and of course I've been in the process of setting up the gear....trying to get a workflow that is concise and effective for putting all of the little silver discs in the basement and on to mini! First my setup......The mini is in my home office area connected to a 500g external HD. Originally I was going to use the mini as an HTPC but my wife and I found that it was a bit cumbersome for our needs (mainly viewing movies and listening to music).....so I researched the heck out of the ATV and decided that would be a better solution! Besides its going to take a few months to rip all of my music and dvd content so using the mini in the office makes more sense....plus the eyeTV works like a charm when I choose to watch TV! Anyhow.....hooked the ATV up to my HDTV's HDMI #2 input rather than directly into my AV receiver....digital audio out from ATV is direct into the AV receiver...works beautifully.....the ATV instantly saw our wireless network from the Mini in the other room (home office). SO....the reason for this post is to figure out the best way for viewing (and storing) ripped movie content on the ATV! I finally found a good copy of MTR...and have both Handbrake and MetaX. I ripped my first DVD last night.....MTR was fast creating a video_TS folder but Handbrake required over an hour to encrpt using the ATV setting. I want to be able to keep the DVD's on the external HD (not the mini) and scroll through all of my ripped movies on the ATV. I envision not streaming them to the ATV but rather saving it on the ATV's HD then deleting it when done viewing. How do you get the ATV's "front row" to see the ripped movie on the mini?....
thanks for the help........
dannyv45
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

create an alias to the folder containing the stored DVD's and then place the alias into your movies folder located in your home directory on the mini.
usarcher

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should think about just streaming. Thats what I do for all my video and I have never had an issue, mine runs off my iMac G5 connected to an external 1TB drive.

dannyv45 way will only work if you want to view the videos from front row on the mini. What you will need to do is drag the movies into iTunes while holding down alt/option + command. This will create aliases inside iTunes while leaving the files on the external. This is all do to the fact that the AppleTV gets all of its info from iTunes.
CNK

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what I was thinking as well.........that the ATV needs the movie files in the mini's iTunes folder. I changed where iTunes keeps its music files (folder) so it uses the external HD....in iTunes you can do this without alias's whereas with iPhoto I needed to set up alias's. So if I understand this correctly all of my handbrake rips need to be in my iTunes folder?...or a movies subfolder? Probably basic stuff but I am new to the mac! As for streaming......I'm not opposed to streaming a movie to the ATV...iTunes obviously has to be running on the mini at the same time....but there isn't a way to "stream" it to the ATV's "hard drive" so the mini could wouldn't have to be bogged down if I was working on other processor intensive applications?...or even turned off for that matter?
usarcher

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CNK wrote:
This is what I was thinking as well.........that the ATV needs the movie files in the mini's iTunes folder. I changed where iTunes keeps its music files (folder) so it uses the external HD....in iTunes you can do this without alias's whereas with iPhoto I needed to set up alias's. So if I understand this correctly all of my handbrake rips need to be in my iTunes folder?...or a movies subfolder? Probably basic stuff but I am new to the mac! As for streaming......I'm not opposed to streaming a movie to the ATV...iTunes obviously has to be running on the mini at the same time....but there isn't a way to "stream" it to the ATV's "hard drive" so the mini could wouldn't have to be bogged down if I was working on other processor intensive applications?...or even turned off for that matter?

What I did was create a movie folder, which had all my converted video files in it, and simply dragged the entire folder while holding the alt/option + command into an open itunes screen. Do a sync with the AppleTV and everything showed up. You can select to sync select videos to the AppleTV's hard drive, you just have to go to the video/movie tab in iTunes to select them. There are built in settings for different options.
usarcher

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Double post sorry... Embarassed
CNK

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This makes sense....so if I have say....a hundred converted movie files that I drag into iTunes....I can browse through them on the ATV and simply select which one(s) I want to "sync".....how long generally does it take to sync a single (2-3g) movie file with a wireless connection? Eventually I will make the USB drive "useable" and keep an external HD connected (wired) to the ATV....I believe this is what hackersmovie has done or something to that effect.
usarcher

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CNK wrote:
This makes sense....so if I have say....a hundred converted movie files that I drag into iTunes....I can browse through them on the ATV and simply select which one(s) I want to "sync".....how long generally does it take to sync a single (2-3g) movie file with a wireless connection? Eventually I will make the USB drive "useable" and keep an external HD connected (wired) to the ATV....I believe this is what hackersmovie has done or something to that effect.

You can browse through the movies with the AppleTV but you can only tell it which ones to sync (store locally on the AppleTV) from iTunes on the Mini. It can take some time transferring a movie depending on your signal strength/setup. Maybe a few minutes tops, I can't remember off the top of my head right now, I haven't synced a video for a while now. I will test it when I get home tonight for you.
CNK

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well considering it took Handbrake over an hour to encode a single DVD rip...a few minutes from the mini to the aTv would be just fine! I have to look around iTunes tonight as well and look into how to pick and choose what one would wish to sync. I'm trying to figure out my own "media map" with regards to where and how to store/sync/stream digital content. I could see myself replacing my 500g minimax (or adding another) as I start converting all of my cd/dvd's to digital storage. I'm most interested in using the aTV to stream music/photos but movies would be synched. As long as I can view the entire library then choose which ones I want to synch....synch 15 or 20 movies (enough for the 40g aTV hard drive) and delete them off of the aTV when finished...I would be in good shape. Of course all this would change if there was a relatively inexpensive way to have a dedicated iTunes server on a wireless network for the whole house!...hmmm....need to look into that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Apple TV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: