123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mac mini: Memory Specifications [U]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kaidomac
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SimpleLife wrote:
With either 4GB or 3GB, the computer per Activity Monitor (not "About this Mac" menu) will only recognize 3GB.

By going with 4GB, there is a very slight performance benefit of having "matched pairs" of memory sticks.

In addition, I already cracked the Mac Mini open. The RAM was dirt cheap at $60 for 4GB, so that's what I put in.

I'm sure there's a technical reason Apple caps the specs at 2GB of RAM. Regardless, with 4GB everything works fine for me so far.

Regarding tech support, email is great. The representative can take their time to find the answer. Oftentimes, when a customer calls in the representative has no clue what is going on , so the customer ends up waiting while the rep looks things up in a database or asks a supervisor, etc.

Email is very convenient. As are forums. No company of any size should just plain old ignore a customer and never respond. That's an instant no-sale. They spend tons of money advertising, but can't even respond to an email. This isn't just about OWC. It's about any company generally.

A really good website for customer service, tech support, and quality issues is http://macintouch.com/.

It's all about community and sharing experiences. That's what makes forums and online sharing so awesome.

Cheers.

Absolutely true. However, companies are run by humans and stuff falls between the cracks. It's sad but every company is affected by it, even Apple, as nice of a company as they portray themselves to be. As far as forum communications go, they're a goldmine. My dream is that someday Google will release a forum-crawling robot that will mine all that wonderful, useful information into a Wiki...I was killing some time tonight and responding to various posts, probably 90% of which asked the same questions over and over again. Google, if you're reading this, please feel free to steal my idea for aForum2Wiki bot Razz

Also, I think the "technical" reason is to avoid criticism...if Apple was put in the spotlight (no pun intended), they'd have to explain why they used un-matched pairs of RAM which (theoritically, not realistically) results in a decrease in performance. Plus having 3-4 gigs of ram would put it closer to iMac territory, and Apple likes having fine lines between their products.
Ratteler

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SimpleLife wrote:
The RAM was dirt cheap at $60 for 4GB, so that's what I put in.

Care to share where you got that price? Lowest I've seen is $77 from Newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220258

There is no guarantee it will work in a MacMini. For that you need to spend almost double.
barnz

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Ratteler:

I don't know about SimpeLife, but I got my Crucial 2x2 GB set for $60 from Buy.com (after mail in rebate which has since expired). Works great in the mini. I also got a $10 discount from Google Checkout, so I ended up paying $50. Smile
SimpleLife

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ratteler wrote:
SimpleLife wrote:
The RAM was dirt cheap at $60 for 4GB, so that's what I put in.

Care to share where you got that price? Lowest I've seen is $77 from Newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220258

There is no guarantee it will work in a MacMini. For that you need to spend almost double.

All you had to do was read the post I made right ahead of the one you quoted. All the info is there along with a pic I scanned from the packaging Very Happy :

http://www.123macmini.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9403&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=102

I bought it at the Fry's store at the end of May, 2008. The offer was not available at the time online at Fry's.

I'd definitely follow up on barnz's post and see if it's still available at Buy.com.

Shop around. RAM's cheap. As long as the specs are right, and you're happy with the brand, they should all work.

Again, this entire thread is awesome for all Mac Mini users, especially with Core 2 Duo.

Cheers.
svedel77

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:25 am    Post subject: Mac Mini 2.0 GHz Reply with quote

Hi,

I've got a 2.0 GHz mini purchased July 2008, and I use these 2GB RAM modules :

Kingston ValueRAM
KVR667d2s5/2g

- Søren
iYann

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:12 pm    Post subject: 2Gb+512 Mb ??? Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I don't think this has been discussed yet...

I have a 1.66 CoreDuo Macmini, with the "Nanya" 2x512Mb RAM it shipped with.

After reading this whole thread, I decided to get a single 2Gb stick, Buffalo DDR2-667 PC25300 in FutureShop.

Opened my mini, removed the 2x512 and put the 2Gb in the LOWER slot, boot-up (really fast!). As expected, everything is so much faster... but is it fast enough ?...
Looking at my 2x512 sticks on the table and looking at the system profiler that said "BANK0: Empty"; it finally hit me ! Why did I remove both sticks ??? I am no memory expert, but some guys in the forum were successful with 3Gb or 4 Gb configuration, so why not try a 2.5 Gb configuration and see if I can gain some performance ? (I understand there may not even be a performance gain, but I had to try)

Only when I installed a 512 stick in the top slot, the mini wouldn't boot-up (no start-up chime). I tried inverting the 512 stick with the other 512, no success. I tried switching slots (2 Gb on top, 512 at the bottom) without success. In order to boot-up again I had to remove the 512, leaving only the 2 Gb (on TOP this time).

Now I'm wondering why some people manage to boot-up with 1x2Gb + 1x1Gb, and I can't boot-up with 1x2Gb + 1x512Mb.
Is it because they're different brands ?
Is it because the specs are slightly different ?

Was anyone successful booting-up with 2.5 Gb ?

Any thoughts ?
iYann

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and... First post ! ...for me...
bfuerst1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

core solo and core duo macs can use ony 2 gbs
core 2 duo macs can use up to 3.2 of the 4gbs
apple bluetooth wireless mouse
apple aluminum keyboard
22 inch Samsung Display
iYann

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bfuerst1 wrote:
core solo and core duo macs can use ony 2 gbs
core 2 duo macs can use up to 3.2 of the 4gbs

Yeah but shouldn't they boot-up ?
TS

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my C2D mini, I installed 2gb Kingston along with factory 512mb. I got a free 1gb stick from a Asus laptop which is 800mhz. So now i got 3gb.
Both Kingston and Asus used Elixir chips replacing the factory Hynix.
milleythomson

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mac mini guide is very useful and it will make us to work comfortably in mac mini using the steps given in that guide. From this guide we can also know about the core duo processor and the entire details of mother board.

===============================================

Miller Thomson

WideCircles
sn0zc0r3

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I apologize for beating a dead horse, but I'm pretty confused at the moment.

Just to clarify for my own sake, since my mac mini had a core solo chip installed when I bought it off someone, and even though I'm replacing the core solo chip with a C2D proc, the max amount of memory I can install is 2gb? Is this correct?
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sn0zc0r3 wrote:
Just to clarify for my own sake, since my mac mini had a core solo chip installed when I bought it off someone, and even though I'm replacing the core solo chip with a C2D proc, the max amount of memory I can install is 2gb? Is this correct?

Yes. A Mini that left the factory with a Core Solo or Core Duo CPU will only ever be able to see and use 2GB, no matter how much you upgrade the CPU.

If a Mini left the factory with a C2D installed, it can see 4GB and use 3.2GB.
Grevalt

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:39 pm    Post subject: MacMini 2.0ghz and ???gb Ram - help? Reply with quote

I, obviously, am new to this forum, and to Mac in general. I want to get a Mac Mini for a home recording studio so it needs to be top notch.

If I purchase the MacMini with 2.0 ghz, it only comes with 1 GB RAM

I'd want that pushed up to 2 GB of RAM but I can't find if MacMini comes with 1 or 2 RAM slots.

If it comes with two RAM slots, buying addition RAM (2 x 1GB) would be a lot cheaper than a single RAM card with 2gb on it.

So is it 1 slot or 2 slots on the 2.0ghz C2D MacMini?

Thanks in advance
Chris..S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 slots. They'll both be filled on purchase.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 8 of 11

Jump to: