123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Football Manager 2008

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Gaming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LilFrankie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:37 pm    Post subject: Football Manager 2008 Reply with quote

Hello folks - new Mac user, just ditched my hulking great XP/Ubuntu Box (and separate "study" area) for a shiney new 1.83ghz mac mini under my LCD. I've connected via the DVI to HDMI and all seems to be running fine - baring a slight overscan of the screen, but I can live with that.

My main gripe and it's purely because I'm an addict you understand, is Football Manager 2008.

I've got it running but as soon as I I double tap it, the LCD switches from 720p to 1080i, and the game runs in a very small window in the centre of the widescreen.

I've tried the preferences and it won't let me switch to a windowed mode, so I hit google and found some info about running the game from a command line and inserting a 'command_line.txt' file in the folder with the 'fm.app'.

This all seems terribly complicated to run a game! so I figured I'd register here and ask for help - seen as I read a lot of posts here before making the decision to 'go mini' in the first place.

any 'easy' suggestions please? this is driving me mad!!
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok i have a question.

Do you have a link to this software so i can try it and see if i can figure it out.

Thanks
LilFrankie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there, cheers for the reply.

the game is a commercial job, here's a linky - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Football-Manager-2008-PC-Mac/dp/B000UX6QAU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1220104622&sr=8-1

I realise this doesn't help much! is there anything else I can show you that may?
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No actually that helped loads there really doesn't seem to be a lot of graphics power required to play this game so i really wouldn't see why it won't play unless the game is rigged and won't run on the Gma intel chipset
LilFrankie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool.

yeah that's what I thought - it runs on my vista lappy and that's not got any great graphics capability on it.

frustrating the hell out of me I don't mind telling you! That and trying to get crossover to run atm, but that's maybe another story. . .

here's the original info I found and tried to follow - but it doesn't seem to work on my mini, maybe macbook only?

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=6057936
trustory
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I can't help with your problem but just to let you know FM '08 runs great on my 1.83Ghz MacBook which has the same GMA 950 integrated graphics as the Mini.
iPhone 4 Black 16GB
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool good to here.
LilFrankie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trustory, can I just ask how your mini is connected to your screen? it's the only thing I can think of that's causing my problem as mine is primarily a TV?
trustory
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LilFrankie wrote:
trustory, can I just ask how your mini is connected to your screen? it's the only thing I can think of that's causing my problem as mine is primarily a TV?

I'm running it on a MacBook. On mine it won't let me set a widescreen resolution so maybe its stuck on a low resolution and thats why its only taking up a small portion of your screen. Sorry I can't be of more help.
iPhone 4 Black 16GB
LilFrankie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey yeah sorry - I should really learn to read! you did say macbook!! Doh!

pass - the TV tells me it's switching from the mac mini setting of 720p to 1080i when I run the game. frustrating!!
dbrowne

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the TV a Philips by any chance???
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Gaming All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: