123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What's the range of the AirPort Express?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Networking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Pontificator
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:34 pm    Post subject: What's the range of the AirPort Express? Reply with quote

What's the average range of one of these units? 100 ft.? 500? 1,000?
Retrogamer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on a variety of factors. The building materials used in your location, other items that can create interference. Apple claims 150 ft, but that's probably open air range, with nothing else around it. I've seen places where the wall contruction contains some sort of material that blocks RF Really well to the point that the wireless would not work in the adjacent room. My Airport express is installed in the attic smack in the middle of my house, so there's not more than 75 feet anywhere inside the house away from it.
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What band are you using?

b,g,n?

This will also dictate your range, to an extent.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
miniconvert

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without external antennas I can't imagine it is too incredible. You have no option to add larger ones if range is an issue. I've had good luck with linksys WRT54G routers and the add on antennas. I was able to blanket an large area with wireless coverage at a camp. The router is in a cabin on top of a hill and then serves multiple buildings at the site, some around 150' away, possibly more. The signal on the farthest building is pretty weak, but it is enough to browse the web/check email.

In a building range can really be limited, my dlink at home with its tiny antenna can hardly serve a bedroom in the opposite corner of the house, maybe 35-40' away.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Networking All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: