123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Asus Eee PC
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> SFF Computer and Netbook Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nickh2

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im not sure about the ram, but im pretty sure you can upgrade the hard drive, the interesting thing about the eeebox, is that it has a vesa mount in the box, so you can mount it to the back of virtually every lcd monitor, turning it into a really budget all in one computer sort of speak
Iphone 8gb
Red Ipod nano 4th gen 4gb
CHECK IT OUT
great file hosting/sharing site www.host-a.net
Ipod Master
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought the Asus Eee 1000H today. $559 Canadian ($592.20 after tax and environmental fee). I think it is a beautiful little machine. If it had HDMI out I would be in heaven.

I haven't had a chance to play around with it yet, but I will get a chance this week.

I bought this unit because it is small, rugged and it looks good. I hate Windows but for the price it can't be beat and Apple has nothing to offer in the category at the moment.

I'll be using it for entertainment, mainly internet. Due to work, I am staying in different hotels just about every night. This little guy will get 1,000's of miles of travel each week.
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
I just bought the Asus Eee 1000H today. $559 Canadian ($592.20 after tax and environmental fee). I think it is a beautiful little machine. If it had HDMI out I would be in heaven.

I haven't had a chance to play around with it yet, but I will get a chance this week.

I bought this unit because it is small, rugged and it looks good. I hate Windows but for the price it can't be beat and Apple has nothing to offer in the category at the moment.

I'll be using it for entertainment, mainly internet. Due to work, I am staying in different hotels just about every night. This little guy will get 1,000's of miles of travel each week.

Hey BanditBill, any chance you can take some shots of the Eee and something else for size comparison?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Weee
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 1000H looks really sweet. I've almost pulled the trigger on one a dozen times from Newegg. I'm just waiting to see what Apple does with the MacBook and MacBook Air in September. I'm hoping for a major price cuts. At least when it comes to the MacBook Air.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weee wrote:
The 1000H looks really sweet. I've almost pulled the trigger on one a dozen times from Newegg. I'm just waiting to see what Apple does with the MacBook and MacBook Air in September. I'm hoping for a major price cuts. At least when it comes to the MacBook Air.

After using it a bit today there are many things that I don't like about the keyboard.

The placement and size of the right shift key. Too small and way too far to the right. I always use the right shift key when capitalizing and typing @ for email addresses. You will also find yourslef hitting the up arrow quite a bit while trying to capitalize letters.

The keyboard is also a little clicky, like something is getting crunched underneath the keys at times. It may be the brand new keys seating themselves. Still, seems a little strange.

The "1" and the "6" have shaded circles around them, who know why?

The letters overall are difficult to read. I have the "ebony" black model. The writing on the keys is grey instead of white. There isn't enough contrast. There is also too much other crap written on the keys. For some reason the numeric keypad keys are white. This makes it even more difficult to see the letters as the white will catch your eye first. Basically if you look at the keys your screwed, if you touch type you'll never hit the right shift key.

Now I know I'm a picky Apple enthusiast but, the keyboard on this unit sucks. That being said it is still a pretty cool little laptop. I'd certainly check out the Wind PC if you do any degree of typing.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weee wrote:

After using it a bit today there are many things that I don't like about the keyboard.

The placement and size of the right shift key. Too small and way too far to the right. I always use the right shift key when capitalizing and typing @ for email addresses. You will also find yourslef hitting the up arrow quite a bit while trying to capitalize letters.

The keyboard is also a little clicky, like something is getting crunched underneath the keys at times. It may be the brand new keys seating themselves. Still, seems a little strange.

The "1" and the "6" have shaded circles around them, who know why?

The letters overall are difficult to read. I have the "ebony" black model. The writing on the keys is grey instead of white. There isn't enough contrast. There is also too much other crap written on the keys. For some reason the numeric keypad keys are white. This makes it even more difficult to see the letters as the white will catch your eye first. Basically if you look at the keys your screwed, if you touch type you'll never hit the right shift key.

Now I know I'm a picky Apple enthusiast but, the keyboard on this unit sucks. That being said it is still a pretty cool little laptop. I'd certainly check out the Wind PC if you do any degree of typing.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hackersmovie wrote:
Hey BanditBill, any chance you can take some shots of the Eee and something else for size comparison?

Not at the moment. However...

The highest part (toward the back) is about as tall as the optical drive slot on the Mac mini (about 1 3/4") It about 1 inch longer (7.5") and 4 inches wider (10'5").

It's not the smallest thing out there by any means. It's still pretty small though.

It also comes with a slick little neoprene rubber sleeve. It looks good it has a zipper. You could probably spill a coffee on the case and do zero damage to the laptop.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:

First off, congrats on getting the new little guy BB. I've seen two in person and they are pretty cool. As for the clicky clack keyboard. I read there were issues with it having play, but supposedly this was only with some of the early models that shipped out. You may want to look into that one.

Not having easy access to the right shift key wouldn't even bother me. I'm a total lefty when it comes to shifting.

One of the little things that bothered me was the double side-by-side print on the 7, 8 and 9 keys. I thought that I was seeing double or stoned. Smile

Last edited by devo on Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Aargh-a-Knot
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the new Tekzilla episode, where they review the Eee PC.
nickh2

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
Bandit Bill wrote:

Not having easy access to the right shift key wouldn't even bother me. I'm a totally lefty when it comes to shifting.

yeah, me too, im 100% left shifter when it comes to keyboards.... cars, now thats another story.....
Iphone 8gb
Red Ipod nano 4th gen 4gb
CHECK IT OUT
great file hosting/sharing site www.host-a.net
Ipod Master
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
Bandit Bill wrote:

First off, congrats on getting the new little guy BB. I've seen two in person and they are pretty cool. As for the clicky clack keyboard. I read there were issues with it having play, but supposed this was only with some of the early models that shipped out. You may want to look into that one.

Not having easy access to the right shift key wouldn't even bother me. I'm a totally lefty when it comes to shifting.

One of the little things that bothered me was the double side-by-side print on the 7, 8 and 9 keys. I thought that I was seeing double or stoned. Smile

Thanks Devo, for $500 I'm not going to complain. It is a very impressive piece of technology for $500. The thing looks like it is worth much more ($1000+).

Although I like to take care of my stuff, I plan on beating the crap out of this thing. Any little shortcomings are more than overlooked. It will get used and travelled like my 4th Gen iPod. 100,000+ miles of travel easily.

If Apple comes out with a 10" notebook for $500 that's typical Apple quality, then it may be fair to complain. To expect perfection at this price point is insane. As long as the thing keeps on working I'll be happy.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:

If Apple comes out with a 10" notebook for $500 that's typical Apple quality, then it may be fair to complain.

True, but I doubt that will ever happen. I will say the 1000h looks way more expensive than it costs. It's very attractive in person.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Believe it or not, I just took a black felt pen and blacked out the numeric keypad characters. It looks much better now. No more double vision. I'll just have to get used to "shifting" with my left hand and I'll be set Smile

Likely someone will come out with a nice keyboard skin for this unit.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
Believe it or not, I just took a black felt pen and blacked out the numeric keypad characters. It looks much better now. No more double vision. I'll just have to get used to "shifting" with my left hand and I'll be set Smile

That sounds a little drastic, but that will do the trick. Do you really think someone will come out with a skin for the 1000h? I don't even know if there are skins for other Eee PCs. I should look that up....
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
Bandit Bill wrote:

That sounds a little drastic, but that will do the trick. Do you really think someone will come out with a skin for the 1000h? I don't even know if there are skins for other Eee PCs. I should look that up....

Honestly it is 100X better. It worked well enough that I have to look at reflective light angles to notice that the numbers were ever there.

I'd never do something like this to a Mac, but there would never be a need.
Wink

Maybe someone will make a skin. This will likely be a popular model.

Again I plan on abusing this thing. The first thing I did was stick an Apple sticker on the back. I'm a big enough Apple fan not to be a poser. I look at it as a joke. Sort of a poke at Apple for not producing something in this category as of yet. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> SFF Computer and Netbook Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 9 of 11

Jump to: