123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thinking about an Apple TV
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Apple TV
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CNK

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:19 pm    Post subject: Thinking about an Apple TV Reply with quote

Hi All...

I am a very happy owner of a new Mac Mini running along side an Iomega Mini Max connected to my 42" LCD being used as an HTPC. I would love to hear some input with regards to switching over to an Apple TV. My primary objective with purchasing the Mini was (is) creating a digital library of all of my CD's and photos....eventually ripping my DVD library as well but I haven't quite figured that one out yet (another forum post at some point!). After having this HTPC setup for a couple of weeks, getting used to the new interface I am rethinking a few things! We (wife and i) don't really use it for surfing the web all that much but having iTunes, Front Row and a few of the other iLife app's are great in the living room. So here is what I'd like to do......input please!.....move the mini, external hd, cable modem into an adjacent room (which I'm setting up as an office/music workstation) and using it as a media server. Could I then just use an Apple TV to receive content wirelessly from the mini? I simply want to be able to view, browse and listen to my iTunes which is on the mini from the living room...also view our large photo album from the big LCD in that room as well. I would only want to listen to the mini servers music content...not download the whole library to the apple tv like an iPod! I've read many mini vs atv posts here but I'm still a bit confused!

thanks all
Chris
miniconvert

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IF you're not using the wifi in the mini for accessing the internet AND you are near by you could configure the wifi as an access point (create network). You should be able to get away with using wireless in this fashion for your aTV.

For ripping DVDs checkout MacTheRipper.
CNK

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like the mini to be used for the internet....can I still use the atv in the living room via airport? As for MTR.....I have not been able to download it from the website! Is it no longer available?
miniconvert

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you connect your mini to the net?

http://www.mactheripper.org/
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you move your Mini and modem to the adjacent room, be sure to set up internet sharing from your Mini. That way, your ATV (should you get one) will be able to access the internet and any other machines (say a friend brings their machine over and it has wireless as well) that are on the network.

I recently added an ATV and it was the best thing I could have done. Waaay easier to use (for the wife and kids) plus, you'll be able to get rentals, buy movies,music, TV shows from iTunes. Stream content from up to 5 other machines, including pictures.

I'd certainly recommend it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
CNK

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hackersmovie:

when you say stream.....does this mean simply "view" via atv's frontrow? I'm not sure I would want to send all of my music and photo content to the atv's hard drive. I love being able to view content through frontrow with my current setup. My take is that having the mini in the living room is possibly a bit of an overkill for our needs....or should I say mainly my wifes!....I think (hope) the atv would be a great compromise/solution..which brings me to my next question....any thoughts on the atvflash product? by the looks of it it can unlock the atv's USB port and could add an internet browser....this would be incredible and would seal the deal for me with purchasing the atv instead of another mini.

I have tried the mactheripper site....not having any luck with it at the moment.

thanks for all the help!

(next problem to solve would be how to incoporate eyetv's products into my system!)

Chris
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CNK wrote:
Hackersmovie:

when you say stream.....does this mean simply "view" via atv's frontrow?

Exactly.

CNK wrote:
...any thoughts on the atvflash product? by the looks of it it can unlock the atv's USB port and could add an internet browser....this would be incredible and would seal the deal for me with purchasing the atv instead of another mini.

Actually, yes. The ATV Flash is great! I have been using it now for several weeks. I have a 750GB external drive connected and it plays hi-res videos with Dolby Digital surround no problem over USB.

I will say, however, it is a bit time consuming to maintain. When I say this I am referring to transferring/organizing files on the external drive.

You can also access the internal drive as well but, I choose to just let iTunes take care of that, it's just easier.

If you have an iPhone or iPod Touch the ATV Flash is even better. You can type your url's in with the Remote App for iPhone/Touch that's a free download from iTunes. Entering url's with the little white remote can be a bit daunting.

Good luck!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
CNK

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the flash seems like the way to go! I have an apple bluetooth keyboard designated for the mini....will this work for the atv as well? Also....with regards to an external hard drive.....can the atv access content wirelessly? If much of my content is set up on a 500gig minmax in another room will the atv be able to "see" it. Example: Lets say I'm working on the mini in some application....my wife wants to watch a movie I have on the minimax external hard drive that is next to the mini in my workspace.....can she access a movie (using the mini's airport extreme) on the atv so she can watch it in the living room? At some point after I purchase the atv and get more familiar with it I will probably just get an external hard drive designated for the atv in the living room!
usarcher

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my Apple TV Very Happy

With your issue downloading MTR, the new version is pay to play. You can try the old version which is free and I haven't had any issues with it yet. You could probably find the a newer build of MTR for free by doing some googling Wink Don't forget to download Handbrake as well.

The nice thing about the Apple TV unlike all of Apple's other products, ac3 is passed through. No fiddling around it just works. I don't know why Apple doesn't just add it for everything else that uses Quicktime.
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

usarcher wrote:
You could probably find the a newer build of MTR for free by doing some googling Wink

If you can't, cough P cough cough M cough me. I have one of the v3.x ones around here somewhere. Laughing

By the way usarcher, got an iPhone going with Remote + ATV. I love it!
iLife's a Bitch!
usarcher

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

g5g5 wrote:

By the way usarcher, got an iPhone going with Remote + ATV. I love it!

Isn't it a wonderful thing Very Happy
CNK

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no iPhone but I'm hoping the apple wireless keyboard will work! I'll search around for MTR....perhaps g5g5 I may just see if you ever find the one that is laying around there somewhere!

I'm pretty sure this is going to be a great purchase.....thanks again for all of the input...!

c
usarcher

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CNK wrote:
no iPhone but I'm hoping the apple wireless keyboard will work! I'll search around for MTR....perhaps g5g5 I may just see if you ever find the one that is laying around there somewhere!

I'm pretty sure this is going to be a great purchase.....thanks again for all of the input...!

c

The keyboard will not work, it uses bluetooth and the Apple TV doesn't have that built in. I don't know if a usb bluetooth dongle would work or not, but then you would have to plug in a hub if you are planning to attach an external drive. Unless you go for the esata mods that are out there. I was looking at adding the esata but then I came to my senses and realized that I was trying to cut down on the clutter in my entertainment system and become more minimalist, which is another reason I love the AppleTV and Apple Cool
CNK

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

disappointing that the keyboard won't work....and I'm certainly not a fan of clutter. So.....hope this doesn't sound silly....if one were to have the atvflash installed on the apple tv...would it be possible to run the remote buddy app so I could use the apple remote with a bit more functionality?...or even a different remote like the harmony?

On another note........I have handbrake now....but I still am having problems finding MTR...a solid point in the right direction would be awesome.

thanks!
Chris
usarcher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CNK wrote:
disappointing that the keyboard won't work....and I'm certainly not a fan of clutter. So.....hope this doesn't sound silly....if one were to have the atvflash installed on the apple tv...would it be possible to run the remote buddy app so I could use the apple remote with a bit more functionality?...or even a different remote like the harmony?

On another note........I have handbrake now....but I still am having problems finding MTR...a solid point in the right direction would be awesome.

thanks!
Chris

Well the link to the old version i posted earlier works, but if you google for Mac The Ripper 3.0 r14i, one of the links might help you Wink

For the keyboard issue, I highly recommend the iPhone. If you don't want to have a monthly bill added get the iPodtouch. This way you have a great hand sized keyboard.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Apple TV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: