123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

iPhoto
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> General Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cleekj

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 12:21 pm    Post subject: iPhoto Reply with quote

Why must iPhoto completely FUBAR my photo directory structure when I import photos?

It arranges them by year I think, I already have them in the order I want them, cant I just point iPhoto to those directories (ala ACDSee for windows) or create corresponding libraries or folders and point them to those directories?
aristobrat

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never found a way to do what you're asking.

My organizational system for my 6000+ photos was "folders" too. I imported them all into iPhoto and spent about a week fighting iPhoto to make it manage the pictures the way I wanted them to (something "folder"-like).

In the end I gave up and learned to use iPhoto's ways of managing pictures. It's not half bad, especially once I figured out that when it imported my photos, it named the "ROLL" after the folder that the pictures were in. This lets me quickly find my older, imported pictures.

Going forward, it's a piece of cake to import from my camera and to give the pictures good descriptions, which is awesome w/ the Smart Folders. Smile
charleslaigo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 4:35 pm    Post subject: iPhoto Library Manager Reply with quote

To let iPhoto do YOUR bidding when it comes to folder-management (and not what it wants regardless of your wishes), give iPhoto Library Manager a try.

I hate it when software forces you to do stuff you wouldn't do. It's soooo "Microsoft-like"!

Anyway, iPhoto Library Manager, puts iPhoto in its place so to speak.

Hope this helps.

-Charlie
cleekj

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. iPhoto Library Manager works…… ok. I have had my Mini about two weeks now, and I have to admit OS X is neat and there are things I really really like about it (OS X actually) but there does not seem to be anything I can do on OS X I cannot do in XP but the software for XP Pro IMO is better (for what I do games aside).

iTunes is comparable to WM 10 as a music player but does not hold a candle to WM 10 as a "media" player. WM 10 will play mpg, mp3, DVD (or .vob),SACD, VCD, avi and of course wmv/wma,asx (there could be more) and its library functions work with all those formats. Not to mention the brand new wmv codec, and my biggest peeve, the FREE (and only version) plays movies full screen! What’s this poodoo in quick time only playing full screen with the non free “pro” version?

With XP Pro I do not need third party software to share folders other than my home folders. Group management is easier as well as adjusting ACL/NTFS permissions.

Yes iPhoto is free but for $50 you can get ACDSee for Windows, there is absolutely no comparison between it and iPhoto IMO, As an image cataloging/viewing "photo" album ACDSee wins hands down. I can tell ACDSee to catalog and database my image library and it leaves my folders intact, it supports compressed "zip" and archived files and will also work with several movie formats, although the movie support can be flakey at times with the newer codec’s.

All the problems aside I do plan on saving my pennies for a new Mactel, (even though Apple builds quality stuff there G5’s are way way way over priced, my current PC is in the high end G5 single range and possibly the low end dual) that is if they are not too picky about video hardware. Nvidia 6800 GT's (PC,AGP) are going for $300 right now, $500 is just an absurdly stupid price for one. At the very least it will be worlds faster than my Mini and hopefully Apple will not move off their stance of installing Windows on them, that way I can have the best of both worlds and use Windows for games and OS X for mostly everything else.
aristobrat

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cleekj wrote:
that way I can have the best of both worlds and use Windows for games and OS X for mostly everything else.

Cool. Smile

As you get more and more OS X experience you'll find things that make OS X even better, like VLC, which (as far as I know) will let you play back your videos full screen -- for free.

I think you'll also start to notice that a lot of quality software is available for free for OS X, like AdiumX. The closest to that in Windows (in my experience) is Trillian Pro, which is $30.

IMO, when it comes to Windows, OS X and Linux, each of them has their strengths and weaknesses. I guess its up to each person to figure out which one works the best for them. Hopefully you really didn't walk-in to your mini/OS X experience thinking that it was magical and would do everything better (and then some) compared to Windows. Smile Having said that, I think the vast majority of folks on here who have switched from Windows prefer OS X, so you're going to find that "slant" in the threads. Smile
cleekj

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed.

I have VLC and Mplayer and Windows Media 9 (nothing else will play the newer wmv's) I do wish there was some sort of equivalent “mostly all encompassing media player” (ala WM 10 even though it irritates me sometimes, but I do despise quick time on the PC) for OS X. I do use iTunes on both my Mini and Windows though.

I will say for general "light" computing, web surfing, mail reading, document writing etc...(maybe some light gaming) I would recommend a Mac Mini hands down, over an entry level PC assuming one already owned a monitor, maybe even if they did not.

I am even thinking of buying a Mac Mini and "switching my parents" for Xmas Wink

The largest downside for me is the fact my Mini is really really sloooooooooooooooow compared to my PC for just about everything Crying or Very sad
cleekj

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Opps

Double Post Embarassed
aristobrat

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cleekj wrote:
The largest downside for me is the fact my Mini is really really sloooooooooooooooow compared to my PC for just about everything Crying or Very sad

If you remember that the mini is basically a repackaged laptop, and that its major hardware bottleneck (IIRC) is its harddrive, it might help some.

I think you'd be hard pressed to find any laptop (OS X, Windows) that runs as well as your PC, unless you want to spend big $$$. Crying or Very sad

Fortunately for the mini, it's easy to add and boot from an external FireWire. Smile
charleslaigo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 2:02 am    Post subject: The best part... Reply with quote

Little or no viruses and/or spyware at all! Nada, zip!

I read somewhere that it only takes 12 minutes for an "unprotected" PC to get infected via the internet.

Top $$$ or otherwise, a Windows PC no matter how fast it is, shall always be a virus, spyware magnet.

Its like owning a Lamborghini that gets engine trouble every few miles or so.

No thanks, I'm stickin' to my "slow" mini.

Smile
cleekj

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Little or no viruses and/or spyware at all! Nada, zip!

I read somewhere that it only takes 12 minutes for an "unprotected" PC to get infected via the internet.

Top $$$ or otherwise, a Windows PC no matter how fast it is, shall always be a virus, spyware magnet.

Its like owning a Lamborghini that gets engine trouble every few miles or so.

No thanks, I'm stickin' to my "slow" mini. "

Rolling Eyes

I knew it would only be time before I saw one of these posts...........

I do not nor have I ever had problems with spy ware, add ware or viri with my PC. This is mostly due because I know what causes these problems on Windows and how to avoid them.

12 minutes my ass........I have heard this FUD before, usually spewed out by people who do not understand the technical details about how
such "software" is actually spread. I will be more than happy to give you actual (and technical info concerning NAT routers and the 7 layers of the OSI) FACTS as to why it’s FUD if you wish…………

All OS’s have there advantages and disadvantages, I have tried several different distros of Linux, BSD and now the Mac, and still at this point Windows still seems to be the best combination of ease of use, speed and functionality and security (yes Windows can be made secure……) for me personally.

Amazingly enough I have had more problems with hardware than with Windows, which could be solved when Apple makes there move to Intel processors. Apple makes quality stuff and just about any computer/notebook they make is worth the price (excluding the PowerBooks and power Macs, and the worst of all there Apple blessed video cards)……

I like the Mac Mini and I like OS X, (which is why I plan on buying a Mactel) this is my first Mac because it’s the first time I could justify to my self the price for a Mac, I bought the 1.25 GHz no wireless/no Bluetooth and 512 MB of RAM, It listed for $499 (+$88 for the memory) but since it was “old” I got it for $399 and minus the memory it’s a $399 computer ($499 is pushing it, defiantly nothing more). ………
aristobrat

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cleekj wrote:
12 minutes my ass........I have heard this FUD before, usually spewed out by people who do not understand the technical details about how
such "software" is actually spread. I will be more than happy to give you actual (and technical info concerning NAT routers and the 7 layers of the OSI) FACTS as to why it’s FUD if you wish…………

FWIW, the "infected in 12 (or 20) minutes tests" I've seen involved taking a just built (read: unupdated) Windows 2000 or XP box and plugging it straight into a cable modem (like uneducated home users so often do). NAT's not able to protect them in that situation.

I've personally never put a box on the Internet directly. I do have a Linux server behind a firewall that allows some ports directly thru (http, smtp, etc) and it's amazing to see in the log how many Windows exploits are attempted on it (especially IIS) ... DAILY. Apparently there's quite a few script kiddies still left out there. It's not hard for me to imagine that a Windows 2000/XP box, directly plugged into the Internet, not fully patched, would quickly get compromised by some exploit.

cleekj wrote:
Amazingly enough I have had more problems with hardware than with Windows, which could be solved when Apple makes there move to Intel processors.

What other hardware problems have you had with your mini besides the laptop harddrive in it makes it a slower box than your PC? Apple switching to Intel would definately not help with that. Sad
castufari

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw an NT4 box (no additional service packs) go from clean to infected with a worm in about 10 minutes. If it was secured behind a firewall or something then it might have gotten away with sitting like it was, but I was shocked. I just helped them install it, handed them a CD with all patches on it, told 'em not to plug it in until it was ALL patched - and before I returned to my office it was already infected. Scary.
aristobrat

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that's crazy! Shocked

I know that OS X hasn't had any viruses/worms for it so far but I wonder if it was the main focus of the hackers/crackers/script kiddies (like Windows is), .. would that still be the case? Question
castufari

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aristobrat wrote:
Wow, that's crazy! Shocked

I know that OS X hasn't had any viruses/worms for it so far but I wonder if it was the main focus of the hackers/crackers/script kiddies (like Windows is), .. would that still be the case? Question

Unixes are more secure. If OS X was a "self install" that you had to compile and whatnot then it probably would me more open. When I was helping some folks with FreeBSD I saw many of them install then not make an attempt to secure.
charleslaigo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:35 am    Post subject: Peace of Mind Reply with quote

Personally I'd rather spend most of my time ENJOYING my computer (Mini 1.42), than spend a great deal of it trying to protect the poor thing.

I mean like, honestly, wouldn't that be better?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> General Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: