123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Port Forwarding and setting up a static IP address

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Networking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mastershake301

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:30 pm    Post subject: Port Forwarding and setting up a static IP address Reply with quote

I own an Xbox360 which is hooked up to my router via an ethernet cable. Unfortunately, though, my Xbox says that the NAT on my router is moderate, making some of my friends unable to connect to me. I've researched the problem, and I've found that I must port forward three certain ports in order for my NAT to be open. Port forwarding is relatively easy, but in order to port forward I must setup static ip addresses. The tutorial that I'm using says I have to setup static ip addresses for every computer on my network, but does that include my wireless network as well as my wired. Is there such a thing as setting up a static ip on my Xbox, or would I need to? If I reboot my router, would the modem accidentally assign it an ip identical to one of the statics I set up? Any help is greatly appreciated.
2Gb RAM
16Gb iPod touch
iSight
miniconvert

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of router/modem is it? There are some models that allow you to create a static IP assignment in the DHCP server. The other method is to give your XBox an IP address that is not within the range that your router is configured to give out. For example, many routers start at 100, ie 192.168.0.100 is the starting address. If you tell your XBox to use 192.168.0.99, then you have no worries about the IP address being issued to something else.
mastershake301

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem solved. The only reason you make static ip addresses for your computer(s) is so they won't interfere with the port forwarding that the router does. Also, I believe there is no reason to make the ip's of computers not on the same network (wired or wireless) static. I only had to make the address of my mac mini static because it was on the wired LAN network along with my 360.
2Gb RAM
16Gb iPod touch
iSight
miniconvert

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, really you want a static ip because port forwarding itself is a static entry, you can't port forward to a machine who's IP address your aren't sure of.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Networking All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: