123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Partitions in Tiger?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac OS X
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TaleRocker

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:24 am    Post subject: Partitions in Tiger? Reply with quote

Hi,

Twisted Evil I've been using OS 9 forever and was reluctant to 'upgrade'.

I had trouble getting 'classic' to run stuff I really need. then it went nuts and it looked like nothing would run without error messages saying all the os x stuff wasn't supported by classic.

so I re ran the install tiger disk. lost appleworks... I can probably load AW 5 in classic, which did work the second time around.

I saw an app on a MacAddict disk that supposedly gave us back a sort of upper right hand corner pull down 'whatcha got running' and 'switch between running programs' thingy, but when I tried to install it, it vanished into the ozone. spotlight seems close to worthless. sherlock doesn't want to look at my hard drive for anything...

the jury's still out and I'm just beginning to find my way around in here- but, sheesh! This is way too much like winders XP's 'we know what you want, & you don't-' attitude. (first impressions, anyway)

Oh, when I read the readme files, it said, "yeah yeah, partition yer hard drive, But put os x in all your partitions." (What?????)

none of the 'utilities' gave me the option to partition the hard drive.

And then I start to wonder, has anybody tried to fire up a mini using OS 9? can it be done? Can you attach a fire wire box with an ATA HD in it and tell the machine that that is its new startup drive?

I couldn't figure out how to browse the local network from the mini, but using the good old yosemite, it hooked up to the mini fine, mini telling it it's a server... I half heartedly tried to change the icon for the hard drive. nope, it didn't like that. -well I don't like lookin at that stupid ugly hard drive icon.

shrug. humour me?

.....Jim
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
homerjatmoes

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Partitions in Tiger? Reply with quote

TaleRocker wrote:
Hi,

Twisted Evil I've been using OS 9 forever and was reluctant to 'upgrade'.

I had trouble getting 'classic' to run stuff I really need. then it went nuts and it looked like nothing would run without error messages saying all the os x stuff wasn't supported by classic.

so I re ran the install tiger disk. lost appleworks... I can probably load AW 5 in classic, which did work the second time around.

I saw an app on a MacAddict disk that supposedly gave us back a sort of upper right hand corner pull down 'whatcha got running' and 'switch between running programs' thingy, but when I tried to install it, it vanished into the ozone. spotlight seems close to worthless. sherlock doesn't want to look at my hard drive for anything...

the jury's still out and I'm just beginning to find my way around in here- but, sheesh! This is way too much like winders XP's 'we know what you want, & you don't-' attitude. (first impressions, anyway)

Oh, when I read the readme files, it said, "yeah yeah, partition yer hard drive, But put os x in all your partitions." (What?????)

none of the 'utilities' gave me the option to partition the hard drive.

And then I start to wonder, has anybody tried to fire up a mini using OS 9? can it be done? Can you attach a fire wire box with an ATA HD in it and tell the machine that that is its new startup drive?

I couldn't figure out how to browse the local network from the mini, but using the good old yosemite, it hooked up to the mini fine, mini telling it it's a server... I half heartedly tried to change the icon for the hard drive. nope, it didn't like that. -well I don't like lookin at that stupid ugly hard drive icon.

shrug. humour me?

.....Jim

You are a godd candidate for this book.

Everything I have seen states the mini will not boot OS 9.

The Dock places a black arrow under running applictions.

As for networking, just open Finder click on Network and browse from there.

Look here to change the drive icon.

Apple Works should be on the Tiger install disk under Aditional apps.

OS X is not all that complicated. I was able to pickup and run with it after a week of using it. Just put your reluctance behind and be open to change and all will be well.
80GB HDD
External DVD burner
45.23 Xbench 1.2 average
FireWire Boot Guide
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TaleRocker

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Partitions on a Mini. Reply with quote

Homer-

Wow, thanks. Glad I didn't drive everybody nuts with my whining.

Elmira, hey? I was in Ithaca for like three years...

It took you about a week to get used to OS X?

I'm doing a lot better, I'm like three days into the left brain anxiety nonsense and it's abating. I think I'll live.

-D'oh!

(sort of a p.s. : I dreamed somebody told me the local newspapers all went bankrupt ( specifically, the Ganett papers in the finger lakes region). that was scary- big brother types controlling all the news- then I woke up and remembered we do have the internet and nobody's figured out how to control that beast yet...)

.....Jim
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
homerjatmoes

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Partitions on a Mini. Reply with quote

TaleRocker wrote:
Homer-

Wow, thanks. Glad I didn't drive everybody nuts with my whining.

Elmira, hey? I was in Ithaca for like three years...

It took you about a week to get used to OS X?

I'm doing a lot better, I'm like three days into the left brain anxiety nonsense and it's abating. I think I'll live.

-D'oh!

(sort of a p.s. : I dreamed somebody told me the local newspapers all went bankrupt ( specifically, the Ganett papers in the finger lakes region). that was scary- big brother types controlling all the news- then I woke up and remembered we do have the internet and nobody's figured out how to control that beast yet...)

.....Jim

I knew you could do it Very Happy.

The bank I work for has a "cashless" office in Ithaca and I am there quite often, it is definatly an interesting town.
80GB HDD
External DVD burner
45.23 Xbench 1.2 average
FireWire Boot Guide
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac OS X All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: