123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lenovo now enters the "netbook" fray:
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> SFF Computer and Netbook Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grover Time

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the styling of this one. It also has an ExpressCard slot. Cool
Aquafire
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:51 am    Post subject: Re: Lenovo now enters the "netbook" fray: Reply with quote

The Pontificator wrote:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10005683-1.html?tag=cnetfd.mt

Let's just hope that it's not preloaded with the usual array of trialware, Junkware...and even spyware....Shocked

remember...Lenovo's links to the Chinese government, via Legend

Of course, that won't matter if your installing your own preferrred Linux Distro...(unless Lenovo install Red Flag Linux on your behalf...)... Wink

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Flag_Linux

In the meantime...

Take a look at this up and coming Dell contender...

No release date as of yet..but I am keeping my fingers crossed and hoping it's gonna be sooner than later... Cool

Aqua

Which would you choose?

OS X : LinuX : UniX or MS-BolloX.

Last edited by Aquafire on Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:21 am; edited 1 time in total
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:05 am    Post subject: eh Reply with quote

I've heard Dell is supposed to be releasing a thin XPS around the same time as their netbook seemingly taking on two niche markets at the same time. I love the express card slot on the Lenovo, but wonder how well it would work with Linux.
Also the Linux version of the S10 will be the S9 which has a 8.9" screen and an 8GB SSD.

"When history is forgotten people don't realize when it repeats."

Going to Missouri S&T!!
xmen65
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: eh Reply with quote

dungeon92 wrote:
I've heard Dell is supposed to be releasing a thin XPS around the same time as their netbook seemingly taking on two niche markets at the same time.

I read somewhere that Dell is going to have larger netbook with a 12" screen, but it's going to have a 1.8" hard drive. I would rather have one that comes with a standard 2.5" SATA drive. It's going to be faster and easier to replace or upgrade. Personally, I'm waiting for the new MacBooks. I think a 13" screen is small enough.
Aquafire
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: eh Reply with quote

xmen65 wrote:
I'm waiting for the new MacBooks. I think a 13" screen is small enough.

And what is wrong with the 12" Powerbook ?

Here is an interesting comparison.

Not much bigger, but a whoppingly larger & more usable screen.... Cool

This explains why they're still highly sought after on sites like eBay...

Cheers

12" Aqua...

Which would you choose?

xmen65
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:14 pm    Post subject: Re: eh Reply with quote

Aquafire wrote:

Nothing really. I just wouldn't want to go below 12-13". And I prefer that it be a Mac. I also think that Apple is tied into the 13" screen size now. Mostly because of the MacBook Air. I can't see them going much below that in the near future. I guess they could come out with some little touch device though. That would be kind of sweet.
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:40 pm    Post subject: Re: eh Reply with quote

xmen65 wrote:
Aquafire wrote:

Nothing really. I just wouldn't want to go below 12-13". And I prefer that it be a Mac. I also think that Apple is tied into the 13" screen size now. Mostly because of the MacBook Air. I can't see them going much below that in the near future. I guess they could come out with some little touch device though. That would be kind of sweet.

And it will be able to make phone calls and have iPod features, but make it impossible to get without a contract. Sounds familiar, wonder why Laughing Rolling Eyes Wink .

Going to Missouri S&T!!
xmen65
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:47 am    Post subject: Re: eh Reply with quote

dungeon92 wrote:
And it will be able to make phone calls and have iPod features, but make it impossible to get without a contract. Sounds familiar, wonder why Laughing Rolling Eyes Wink .

No contracts!!!!!!
ghostdawg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:17 pm    Post subject: Aussies, Americans Lose Out in Lenovo's Linux Netbook Push Reply with quote

I guess MS is up to their old tricks again...

Quote:
It seems Lenovo is being selective in which markets get Linux on its new range of IdeaPad netbooks. "People in most markets Lenovo serves, including Singapore, China and the UK, will be offered the company's new IdeaPad S10 with either Microsoft Windows XP or a Linux OS, but Australian and US computer buyers will only be offered Windows XP according to Lenovo."

http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php/id;490285321

If they were going with Suse, I would dump it and install something else anyway. Surprised
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Aussies, Americans Lose Out in Lenovo's Linux Netbook Pu Reply with quote

ghostdawg wrote:

Quote:
It seems Lenovo is being selective in which markets get Linux on its new range of IdeaPad netbooks. "People in most markets Lenovo serves, including Singapore, China and the UK, will be offered the company's new IdeaPad S10 with either Microsoft Windows XP or a Linux OS, but Australian and US computer buyers will only be offered Windows XP according to Lenovo."

If they were going with Suse, I would dump it and install something else anyway. Surprised

I just think it's a shame you can't get the lower Linux prices. I mean if you want to run Linux. I'm not sure how this is Microsoft's fault though. I mean what tricks are they really playing? It just seems Lenovo is being selective. They probably figure sales will do better with XP in certain markets. Plus, there are fewer and fewer systems actually shipping with XP these days. To a certain degree, these companies are using the loophole of XP being allowed to ship with Netbooks. We also know that most people prefer XP to Vista. This becomes an outlet for them to get it a system with XP. That pushed up demand for these things as well. Not sure if that makes sense, but it's been a long day. I also have a migraine. Laughing
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Aussies, Americans Lose Out in Lenovo's Linux Netbook Pu Reply with quote

ghostdawg wrote:

Quote:

Me too I would probably use Ubuntu or Fedora instead (just need to find out if Fedora can be installed via USB flashdrive).

Going to Missouri S&T!!
ghostdawg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm not sure how this is Microsoft's fault though. I mean what tricks are they really playing?

Alot of what you say is true, Devo...but I'm sure if MS came to lenovo and ask them to please($$$)install XP only, on these machines in the biggest consumer market in the world, we would appreciate it.

at least that's how I see it.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ghostdawg wrote:
Alot of what you say is true, Devo...but I'm sure if MS came to lenovo and ask them to please($$$)install XP only, on these machines in the biggest consumer market in the world, we would appreciate it.

I see where you're coming from. I wouldn't put something like that past them. I think Microsoft knows they are losing ground to Apple on the big machines. They probably don't want to see Linux take hold or dominate in a growing Netbook market.
Aquafire
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ghostdawg wrote:

devo wrote:
I see where you're coming from. I wouldn't put something like that past them. I think Microsoft knows they are losing ground to Apple on the big machines. They probably don't want to see Linux take hold or dominate in a growing Netbook market.

Well. it seems that MS might end up shooting themselves in the foot.

Apparenty, MS has set out 'conditions' on the use of XP in the ULCPC (Ultra low cost PC) Market..

For starters, the machine is to be limited in both motherboard/chip speed along with being limited to just 1 Gb of ram.

On top of that, XP will not be available for machines, that carry a screen larger than 10 inches.

The 'shooting themselves in the foot' matter, arises from circumstances where for example, HP offers an 11 inch screen, or something with more on board grunt than currently found in an atom chip...

In the HP case: does MS stick to its own guidelines and force HP buyers to upgrade to Vista, or risk HP offering their customers a choice of clean skin, (no OS) or force HP to up the price of their Low cost PC, (thus making them uncomptative)...or will it drive HP into the arms of Linux...

Added to that, MS is also in a financial straight~jacket, in that it is forced to maintain two Home systems at the same time...XP & Vista.

One that is limited, and one that nobody really wants..

No matter how you look at it, MS is taking a big gamble..that might blow up in their faces...*

Aqua.

*Not that I'd be crying in my beer.... Wink

Which would you choose?

blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Lenovo S10 is ready to order. Based on price, styling and the company, I think this might be the one for me.
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> SFF Computer and Netbook Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: