123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dell unleashes the "Mac Mini Killer"
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> SFF Computer and Netbook Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aquafire
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:56 am    Post subject: Dell unleashes the "Mac Mini Killer" Reply with quote

Well....

That's what Michael Dell thinks anyway... Rolling Eyes

http://crave.cnet.co.uk/desktops/0,39029426,49298344,00.htm

Clearly it's got some good points...( reduced power consumption being one)

But its outer case....?

I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but for me...

it's FUG-UGLY.....(FUGLY)....

Sure it might appeal to some customers...drug crazed bass guitarists, or other assorted fruitloops..

But I can't help think that it looks like a Sushi Roll (the bamboo covered one especially) that some fat~assed office worker has sat on, and then shoved a CD into...

Maybe its just me....

But, I just wish the Dell company would hire real industrial designers, instead of picking 'off the planet whackos' from the Dole que...

This design also reminds me of the apple clam laptop.. and other late curved designs...

Trouble is, (as with so many curvy designs) they go out of fashion so fast....

Aqua

And as for it being a Mini killer...?

yeah...

In your dreams sunshine... Cool

Which would you choose?

OS X : LinuX : UniX or MS-BolloX.
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had about the same reaction as Aqua when I saw the picture of the new Dell. What is it with PC makers that they have such trouble with design?
Chris..S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They also seem to have humstrung it.

No 7200RPM disk option.
No Vista Business option.

Limited CPU choice, although that might be constrained by CPU power constraints.
Texark

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris..S wrote:
Limited CPU choice, although that might be constrained by CPU power constraints.

They might be in the same family, but you have a few options.

Quote:
Intel® Pentium™ Dual Core T2390 (1.86GHz/533Mhz FSB/1MB cache) [Included in Price]
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T5750 (2.00GHz/667Mhz FSB/2MB cache) [add $50 or $2/month1]
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T5850 (2.16GHz/667Mhz FSB/2MB cache) [add $100 or $3/month1]
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T8100 (2.1GHz/800Mhz FSB/3MB cache) [add $175 or $6/month1]
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T9300 (2.5GHz/800Mhz FSB/6MB cache) [add $350 or $11/month1]
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T9500 (2.6GHz/800Mhz FSB/6MB cache) [add $625 or $19/month1]

I've said this a million times. It's really silly that Apple doesn't offer processors as a build-to-order option. I think it would get more people off the sidelines that are waiting for an update. If you want the better CPU, you pay up. Apple isn't moving that fast with hardware design anyways. The iMac is the only system to see a major change in the last three years or so.
gigaguy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the HDMI output, and the bluray option. come on Steve.
Krametash

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The stupid thing is, it's supposed to be a green machine, but they went ahead and wrapped one of them in wood.... Confused
I have to say though, the specs look alright.

Kramer Smile
20" Samsung Widescreen display
Influx

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) It's UGLY
2) It doesn't run OSX

Yeah, real competition for the Mini.... Rolling Eyes
[/i]
Mac user since Aug 27 1956
barnz

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krametash wrote:
The stupid thing is, it's supposed to be a green machine, but they went ahead and wrapped one of them in wood.... Confused

Bamboo is actually one of the most renewable resources on earth. It fits well with the "Green Ethos" as well as the aesthetic desires of those who live that way.
Chris..S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texark wrote:
Chris..S wrote:

They might be in the same family, but you have a few options.

Quote:
Intel® Pentium™ Dual Core T2390 (1.86GHz/533Mhz FSB/1MB cache) [Included in Price]
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T5750 (2.00GHz/667Mhz FSB/2MB cache) [add $50 or $2/month1]
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T5850 (2.16GHz/667Mhz FSB/2MB cache) [add $100 or $3/month1]
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T8100 (2.1GHz/800Mhz FSB/3MB cache) [add $175 or $6/month1]
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T9300 (2.5GHz/800Mhz FSB/6MB cache) [add $350 or $11/month1]
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T9500 (2.6GHz/800Mhz FSB/6MB cache) [add $625 or $19/month1]

Wow, you get more options than Dell UK give (unless they are hidden away in some secret part of the UK website).

Quote:
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T5750 (2.0GHz, 667MHz FSB, 2MB L2 Cache) [Included in Price]
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T7250 (2.0GHz, 800MHz FSB, 2MB L2 cache) [add £30.00 or £1/month1]
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T8100 (2.1GHz, 800MHz FSB, 3MB L2 Cache) [add £60.00 or £2/month1]
The Pontificator
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I like the bamboo cover.

However, the Studio Hybrid isn't as small as the pics would lead you to believe. check out the video at cnet.com

Also, I thought that it had N-wireless as a standard feature. Nope.
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Pontificator wrote:
Also, I thought that it had N-wireless as a standard feature. Nope.

No standard wireless, bluetooth, or remote. That said, it has built-in support for the matching wireless keyboard and mouse.
usarcher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gigaguy wrote:
I like the HDMI output, and the bluray option. come on Steve.

I second that Wink
will94

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
They also seem to have humstrung it.

You do realise that this pile of rubbish is designed primarily for hippies and n00bs who dont give an sh*t about the HD speed or even the processor.
Who are they kidding? It is not possible to 'tread lightly' with any computer in an environmental way, as Dell claim on their website.[/quote]
Salesman: Hi, welcome to Microsoft Windows [punches customer]
Aquafire
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

barnz wrote:

Bamboo is actually one of the most renewable resources on earth. It fits well with the "Green Ethos" as well as the aesthetic desires of those who live that way.

Actually...it's not..

In many countries, Bamboo is an invasive pest that does untold enviromental damage to both land and rivers.

Bamboo is notorious, in that it sucks up much of the available nutrients in the soil and draws on huge amounts of water. It chokes the life out of the land, in that it kills off all competing native plants. When burning, it gives rise to high temperature fires, that often sterilize the soil beneath. It takes years for the microlife of the soil to recover. In many rivers where it was planted to stop erosion; it has now taken over with subsequent impacts on the breeding cycles of local water fowl, fish and other animals, dependent on a pristine native environments for their continued existence.

No doubt, in some areas, Bamboo has a benefit, but I doubt one can seriously support the claim that its the "most renewable resource on earth". As part of the wider "grasses group" yes..but of itself no.

In comparison, fodder & grain crops such as wheat, barley, oats & rice,etc (which are paret of the same family as bamboo); not only provide food for most of the worlds' human and domesticated animal population, which Bamboo does not..(sorry to say, 'Bamboo Shoots' are hardly up there as a major food source), but these same fodder and grain groups, also provide most of the raw material for fuel, as well as material for building, where dried stubble, is used with mud to make bricks, or as "straw~bale" houses...etc.

This genus of grasses also include specific species that 'fix nitrogen' and are benificial as a "green manure" that can be ploughed back into the soil.

They may not be as 'sexy' or as "trendy" as bamboo seems to be with certain sectors of the Green movement; but pound for pound, they far outstrip Bamboo in terms of enviromental benefit and renewability.

So if Dell really wanted to make a statement about enviromental renewables, they should have made the case out of compressed straw/hay/stubble...

Aqua

Which would you choose?

OS X : LinuX : UniX or MS-BolloX.
Krametash

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aquafire wrote:
barnz wrote:

Actually...it's not..

In many countries, Bamboo is an invasive pest that does untold enviromental damage to both land and rivers.

Bamboo is notorious, in that it sucks up much of the available nutrients in the soil and draws on huge amounts of water. It chokes the life out of the land, in that it kills off all competing native plants. When burning, it gives rise to high temperature fires, that often sterilize the soil beneath. It takes years for the microlife of the soil to recover. In many rivers where it was planted to stop erosion; it has now taken over with subsequent impacts on the breeding cycles of local water fowl, fish and other animals, dependent on a pristine native environments for their continued existence.

No doubt, in some areas, Bamboo has a benefit, but I doubt one can seriously support the claim that its the "most renewable resource on earth". As part of the wider "grasses group" yes..but of itself no.

In comparison, fodder & grain crops such as wheat, barley, oats & rice,etc (which are paret of the same family as bamboo); not only provide food for most of the worlds' human and domesticated animal population, which Bamboo does not..(sorry to say, 'Bamboo Shoots' are hardly up there as a major food source), but these same fodder and grain groups, also provide most of the raw material for fuel, as well as material for building, where dried stubble, is used with mud to make bricks, or as "straw~bale" houses...etc.

This genus of grasses also include specific species that 'fix nitrogen' and are benificial as a "green manure" that can be ploughed back into the soil.

They may not be as 'sexy' or as "trendy" as bamboo seems to be with certain sectors of the Green movement; but pound for pound, they far outstrip Bamboo in terms of enviromental benefit and renewability.

So if Dell really wanted to make a statement about enviromental renewables, they should have made the case out of compressed straw/hay/stubble...

Aqua

Jeez... do I have to say something as genius-like as that in order not to sound like an idiot?? Shocked
Barnz; ok maybe my previous comment about bamboo wasn't 100% accurate, but Dell also uses a plastic cover, which I AM 100% sure is not one of the most renewable resources out there... Very Happy
BTW, You used to work in Ikea? Din't expect that from a comp genius... Very Happy

Kramer Smile
20" Samsung Widescreen display
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> SFF Computer and Netbook Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: