123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dell Intros Studio Hybrid
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:13 am    Post subject: Dell Intros Studio Hybrid Reply with quote

Dell Intros Studio Hybrid
Tuesday, July 29, 2008
Posted by: Glenn

Dell today introduced its Studio Hybrid desktop, a new rival for the Mac mini. According to the company, the Studio Hybrid is about 80 percent smaller than the typical desktop minitower, and uses up to 70 percent less energy. It can be set up in a vertical or horizontal orientation, and be personalized with a choice of seven optional, interchangeable external finishes or color sleeves. Pricing for the Studio Hybrid starts at $499. This includes a 1.83GHz Intel Pentium dual-core processor, 160GB hard drive, 1GB of RAM, Intel X3100 graphics, 8X slot-loading CD/DVD burner, DVI and HDMI, Gigabit Ethernet, integrated audio with 5.1 digital output and more. Beyond that, Dell offers a number of processor, memory and hard drive upgrades, as well as built-in 802.11n wireless networking and a 6X Blu-ray drive for the Studio Hybrid.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/1004.html

Last edited by admin on Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:49 am; edited 2 times in total
Aargh-a-Knot
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, now I have to admit, that is a sexy machine! Only problem I can see with it, is that it runs windows. Doh! Its like a really sexy girl with no brain. Nice to look at, but wouldn't want to live with it. Now if you could somehow get it running Leopard.. uh oh. I gotta go. My mini is starting to get jealous!
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

opensky42 wrote:
Doh! Its like a really sexy girl with no brain.

Very true! Laughing

That being said... If Apple doesn't upgrade the mini soon, I might grab one these for Blu-ray and WMC.
TonyMontana
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No doubt about it. Nice machine. No way Apple would release something with these specs under $800 or $900.
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TonyMontana wrote:
No way Apple would release something with these specs under $800 or $900.

Comparing Apples to Dells. They are basically beating the top Mac mini by $200 with better specs. I mean when you price one out with a 2.0GHz C2D. I also have my doubts about an updated Mac mini including HDMI. That is, unless HDMI becomes the default connection for updated Cinemas.

Last edited by Ben Tex on Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You probabaly could make it run OSX 86, but still, it's not an real Apple!
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James T Kirk wrote:

True, but mark my words. The guys over at the OSx86 Project will get Leopard going and smack an Apple sticker on it. Laughing
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No doubt! Rolling Eyes
Rightondamark

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't care much for the looks of this computer, but give Dell props for talking up the "green" aspects. It's something Apple should be with the Mac mini. Well, that and updating it for god's sake!
Aargh-a-Knot
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben_tex wrote:
James T Kirk wrote:

True, but mark my words. The guys over at the OSx86 Project will get Leopard going and smack an Apple sticker on it. Laughing

You could get OSX running on it easy enough, but then you'd have no blueray support. That would defeat the purpose if you ask me. Thats the one thing (besides looks) that this thing has on a mini. That and wireless-N, but theres a workaround for that.
FullGaz

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reckon one of these http://www.efi-x.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=21&language=english and off you go to OS X land with a better machine than the Mini. Same as Ben_tex above: if Apple doesn't come up with a better Mini soon (and I'm talking before the end of August at this point, 1 year since last update Shocked) I will grab one of them and Hackintosh it Smile
Waiting for Mac Mini update to sensible graphics...
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

opensky42 wrote:

You could get OSX running on it easy enough, but then you'd have no blueray support. That would defeat the purpose if you ask me. Thats the one thing (besides looks) that this thing has on a mini. That and wireless-N, but theres a workaround for that.

At least voor bluetooth. In a shop back home (I'm in the States on vacation right now) friends of mine bought dirt cheap BT USB sticks, say about $ 15.00 and they worked great on several Mac's
FullGaz

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James T Kirk wrote:

So, who cares??? What you really want is to run OS X. Do you care if it's from a really good looking non Apple branded box? The internals are the same, it does the same job as your current Mini (and probably better because of the updated specs) and you're probably paying less for all that. For those who bought a Leopard family pack and have a license to spare, using it as a hackintosh sounds to me like a very good solution. Have a look at the link I posted earlier and you'll see that it's now becoming easy to run OS X on non Apple branded hardware.
I say all that with the utmost love for my iMac, MBP and hopefully upgraded Mini soon Razz. But realistically, it's OS X that makes all the difference, not the box. And of course, the price...
Waiting for Mac Mini update to sensible graphics...
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FullGaz wrote:
Same as Ben_tex above: if Apple doesn't come up with a better Mini soon (and I'm talking before the end of August at this point, 1 year since last update Shocked) I will grab one of them and Hackintosh it Smile

Actually.... I think the longer Apple goes without updating the Mac mini, the more they are forcing people into going the Hackintosh route. It's not all about people wanting an expandable Mac. I know a lot of people that just don't want an iMac. I'm in that boat myself. Been there, done that. Plus, I couldn't stare at the iMac's glossy screen for an hour without getting a headache. I much prefer a traditional matte LCD display.
barnz

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

opensky42 wrote:

You could get OSX running on it easy enough, but then you'd have no blueray support. That would defeat the purpose if you ask me.

That's my problem as well. I don't want to go back to windows, but I am ready for a BluRay option, Mr Jobs!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: