123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hackersmovie is an ATV owner!!! Woot!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Apple TV
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 07 Nov 2006
Posts: 3173
Location: Maryland, U.S.A

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:15 pm    Post subject: Hackersmovie is an ATV owner!!! Woot!! Reply with quote

So, I just dropped the cash for a refurb ATV. Anyone got any cool tips/tricks/hacks for it? I've already looked up the ATV Flash and will most likely get it. Has anyone used it? Can I just point it to a folder with all my .avi's and play them? (That would soooo awesome!)
_________________
Digital Marketing For Small Business
Digital Marketing Forum
Mac Repairs & Upgrades
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
usarcher
Senior Member
Senior Member


Joined: 18 Dec 2007
Posts: 446
Location: Maine, USA

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No hacking tips from me, mine is stock. I just stream all of my content which are rips from video_ts to m4v, any avi's I had I used Quicktime Pro to convert to m4v. Highly recommend the Remote app for the iPhone.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 07 Nov 2006
Posts: 3173
Location: Maryland, U.S.A

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

usarcher wrote:
Highly recommend the Remote app for the iPhone.


Already got it! Wink
_________________
Digital Marketing For Small Business
Digital Marketing Forum
Mac Repairs & Upgrades
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 25 Jan 2005
Posts: 2762
Location: Virginia

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on the new ATV Hacker! I'm thinking about giving ATV Flash a whirl myself. Mostly for Perian and the external storage option.
_________________
1.25GHz Mac Mini / 1.8GHz iMac G5 / 2.0GHz C2D Mac mini (2009)
4GB iPod mini / 2G iPod shuffle / 16GB iPhone 3G
Apple TV 2
iLife's a Bitch!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 07 Nov 2006
Posts: 3173
Location: Maryland, U.S.A

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the ATV today, hooked it up, set it up and am surfing videos, etc. Only took about 10mins total!

One question. My itunes asked me to set up an iTunes account. I already have 2 does the ATV need one all by it's lonesome?

So far I'm very pleased with the little box. Streaming over my "G" network works without a hitch too!

Funny too, it was shipped with the old 2.0.1 software. . . Rolling Eyes
_________________
Digital Marketing For Small Business
Digital Marketing Forum
Mac Repairs & Upgrades
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 25 Jan 2005
Posts: 2762
Location: Virginia

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hackersmovie wrote:
One question. My itunes asked me to set up an iTunes account. I already have 2 does the ATV need one all by it's lonesome?

Your primary iTunes account should work. I mean, it doesn't need one of its own.
_________________
1.25GHz Mac Mini / 1.8GHz iMac G5 / 2.0GHz C2D Mac mini (2009)
4GB iPod mini / 2G iPod shuffle / 16GB iPhone 3G
Apple TV 2
iLife's a Bitch!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 07 Nov 2006
Posts: 3173
Location: Maryland, U.S.A

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

g5g5 wrote:
hackersmovie wrote:
One question. My itunes asked me to set up an iTunes account. I already have 2 does the ATV need one all by it's lonesome?

Your primary iTunes account should work. I mean, it doesn't need one of its own.


I finally got it all sorted. I'm really diggin' the ATV. The wife likes it too! That's like a license to spend money in my house!
_________________
Digital Marketing For Small Business
Digital Marketing Forum
Mac Repairs & Upgrades
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
usarcher
Senior Member
Senior Member


Joined: 18 Dec 2007
Posts: 446
Location: Maine, USA

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hackersmovie wrote:
g5g5 wrote:
hackersmovie wrote:
One question. My itunes asked me to set up an iTunes account. I already have 2 does the ATV need one all by it's lonesome?

Your primary iTunes account should work. I mean, it doesn't need one of its own.


I finally got it all sorted. I'm really diggin' the ATV. The wife likes it too! That's like a license to spend money in my house!


At first my wife was like "why do we need it," but now she loves the thing being able to rent movies and listen to music. She really likes that apple finally allows us to view the photos individually and not just through the slideshow feature.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
UpNorth
Junior Member
Junior Member


Joined: 11 Aug 2007
Posts: 26

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

usarcher wrote:
At first my wife was like "why do we need it," but now ...


I just got my ATV and that was the first thing she said. I'm still in the "convincing" stage. I love the ability to stream my Music over the air and the quality is really quite good.

However, over my WiFi "G" network, trying to even PREVIEW a movie is ridiculous. For a 3 minute trailer, it takes probably 9 or 10 minutes to load and start. Also, I don't like the fact that my Mini has to be "on" with iTunes running to stream music. I typically put the Mini to sleep after 30 minutes or so of inactivity, so it's just a bit of a letdown when I try to stream music or something and the Mini is sleeping. I don't really want to leave it on all of the time.

What's more troubling, though, is the time it takes to load a movie preview. Music previews seem to start immediately - movies do not. I'm trying to justify the existence of the thing in my living room, but taking so long to preview (much less RENT) a movie is not helping my cause. It probably has a lot to do with my WiFi and DSL speed, but still...

I'm assuming that connecting via Ethernet cable would be much faster, but it's not an option right now without a major cable-run project.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 07 Nov 2006
Posts: 3173
Location: Maryland, U.S.A

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UpNorth wrote:
usarcher wrote:
At first my wife was like "why do we need it," but now ...


I just got my ATV and that was the first thing she said. I'm still in the "convincing" stage. I love the ability to stream my Music over the air and the quality is really quite good.

However, over my WiFi "G" network, trying to even PREVIEW a movie is ridiculous. For a 3 minute trailer, it takes probably 9 or 10 minutes to load and start. Also, I don't like the fact that my Mini has to be "on" with iTunes running to stream music. I typically put the Mini to sleep after 30 minutes or so of inactivity, so it's just a bit of a letdown when I try to stream music or something and the Mini is sleeping. I don't really want to leave it on all of the time.

What's more troubling, though, is the time it takes to load a movie preview. Music previews seem to start immediately - movies do not. I'm trying to justify the existence of the thing in my living room, but taking so long to preview (much less RENT) a movie is not helping my cause. It probably has a lot to do with my WiFi and DSL speed, but still...

I'm assuming that connecting via Ethernet cable would be much faster, but it's not an option right now without a major cable-run project.


UpNorth, I feel your pain, however, I'd would suggest taking the time to run the CAT5e cables you need and buying a 10/100/1000 switch if needed. My movie previews and movie streaming as well as music all happen instantly! No lag even if I'm streaming a movie with AC3 surround! It will be worth the headache and pain, what's better, your wife will certainly be "sold" at that point!

Good luck!
_________________
Digital Marketing For Small Business
Digital Marketing Forum
Mac Repairs & Upgrades
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
UpNorth
Junior Member
Junior Member


Joined: 11 Aug 2007
Posts: 26

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hackersmovie wrote:
... I'd would suggest taking the time to run the CAT5e cables...Good luck!


I was afraid you would say that. Ugggg...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
usarcher
Senior Member
Senior Member


Joined: 18 Dec 2007
Posts: 446
Location: Maine, USA

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UpNorth wrote:
hackersmovie wrote:
... I'd would suggest taking the time to run the CAT5e cables...Good luck!


I was afraid you would say that. Ugggg...


I'm on a G network and my previews are pretty much instant. SD rentals are instant to a few seconds, and sometimes HD rentals start within 30 sec to a minute. So I would say maybe it has to do with your internet provider, or you have a very weak signal going to the apple tv.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 07 Nov 2006
Posts: 3173
Location: Maryland, U.S.A

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

usarcher wrote:
UpNorth wrote:
hackersmovie wrote:
... I'd would suggest taking the time to run the CAT5e cables...Good luck!


I was afraid you would say that. Ugggg...


I'm on a G network and my previews are pretty much instant. SD rentals are instant to a few seconds, and sometimes HD rentals start within 30 sec to a minute. So I would say maybe it has to do with your internet provider, or you have a very weak signal going to the apple tv.


Good point. There's no substitute for a wired connection though. . .
_________________
Digital Marketing For Small Business
Digital Marketing Forum
Mac Repairs & Upgrades
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
usarcher
Senior Member
Senior Member


Joined: 18 Dec 2007
Posts: 446
Location: Maine, USA

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hackersmovie wrote:
usarcher wrote:
UpNorth wrote:
hackersmovie wrote:
... I'd would suggest taking the time to run the CAT5e cables...Good luck!


I was afraid you would say that. Ugggg...


I'm on a G network and my previews are pretty much instant. SD rentals are instant to a few seconds, and sometimes HD rentals start within 30 sec to a minute. So I would say maybe it has to do with your internet provider, or you have a very weak signal going to the apple tv.


Good point. There's no substitute for a wired connection though. . .


Very true, less chance of interference too.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
UpNorth
Junior Member
Junior Member


Joined: 11 Aug 2007
Posts: 26

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

usarcher wrote:
I'm on a G network and my previews are pretty much instant.


I actually "borrowed" a 50ft. Cat6 cable and plugged the thing in - same thing. Slow City! What a bummer! I'm thinking it must be my connection, which is DSL (300K download, I think?) and not Cable. I think that when I had a Cable Modem in the past, the download speed was a bit faster compared to DSL.

This sucks, though, because I LOVE the music streaming into the Living Room, and a couple of the other features, but it seriously takes almost 10 minutes to play a SD trailer. That just kind of makes the whole thing a big buzz kill.....especially when I'm trying to "sell" the idea of having it at all!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Apple TV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum



      

Shop:  Apple Store  |  Refurbished Macs  |  Refurbished iPads  |  MacConnection  |  Mac Mini Vault  |  Other World Computing

MK 1 Studio Mac mini Racks  |  Crucial Mac Memory  |  Top Free Mac Apps  |  Top Paid Mac Apps



123Macmini.com is an independent publication and has not been authorized, sponsored, or approved by Apple Computer, Inc.
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owners.
Copyright © 2011 123Macmini.com. All Rights Reserved.