123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CherryPal Cloud computer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> SFF Computer and Netbook Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Pontificator
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:29 pm    Post subject: CherryPal Cloud computer Reply with quote

CherryPal's Website:

http://72.51.37.17/

And a related article:

http://www.engadget.com/2008/06/18/cherrypal-announces-two-watt-freescale-based-cloud-computer/

$249

Comes with Firefox, iTunes, and OpenOffice also b/g wireless, 2 USB ports, VGA port, speaker 'out' port, and Ethernet port. Printer drivers also installed.

Might be pretty cool!
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a fantastic little machine! I would have thought that since everything is solid-state, this is effectively a single circuit-board in a plastic box. Which means that $249 seems a bit steep.

If they could get the price down to something really eye-catching, people would start to write apps that were optimised for this little beastie.
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm keeping my eye on the mini-laptop market, but this one doesn't interest me. It's light, which is great, but the screen size is too small and the shape is wrong (too thick). I also think it would be too underpowered even to do a decent job with a Debian Linux derivative, but that remains to be seen. Even the 7" eeepc is too small a screen for me; I'm looking for a 2-3 lb. with a 9-12" display.
The Pontificator
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The CherryPal would be good for kids who either cannot or will not understand the concept of why you don't click on everything in sight or every attachment you receive.

Could also possibly appeal to seniors as well (less 'techno-fear').

Might also make a great "backup" in case your regular computer needs to go to the shop.

However, the $250 price tag, too me, is too high. I'd consider biting for, say, $199. I'd definitely bite in the $150-175 range. From what I'm reading these units will be sold through the mfr. web site for the month of August and will then be available from national vendors (Amazon.com) starting in September. Newegg? Could be. I'd be interested to see if the price point will be lower.
barnz

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Pontificator wrote:
The CherryPal would be good for kids who either cannot or will not understand the concept of why you don't click on everything in sight or every attachment you receive.

Could also possibly appeal to seniors as well (less 'techno-fear').

Might also make a great "backup" in case your regular computer needs to go to the shop.

I was not very interested until I read your post. I think there is a big market for these - well a big niche market if that's something. Hotels, rental properties, and public applications, where someone wants to provide internet access (and a little more) to people without maintenance and security hassles. I think I will get one the next time the computer in my famiy's rental ski condo goes down with another virus!
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Pontificator wrote:
However, the $250 price tag, too me, is too high. I'd consider biting for, say, $199. I'd definitely bite in the $150-175 range. From what I'm reading these units will be sold through the mfr. web site for the month of August and will then be available from national vendors (Amazon.com) starting in September. Newegg? Could be. I'd be interested to see if the price point will be lower.

I think that you're getting that price estimate about right, Pontificator. $150-175 seems much more reasonable.

These guys might risk sales if they keep pushing the eco-friendly angle too hard. As Bandit Bill has said before, nobody buys a computer because of its power consumption. They need to start pointing out what this machine can do in spite of its 400MHz CPU.

I'd like to see this trend for smaller, simpler computers continuing further. The only computer uses that 11 and 12 year olds seem to have nowadays are web-surfing and gaming. If a machine with a 100MHz processor could be put together for the price of an iPod Shuffle, and loaded up with a simple OS and a friendly programming language, then the current generation of youngsters could find out what its like to make the computer do what you want rather than just being a consumer of other people's programs.
(N.B. I know that this could already happen with a PC and a Linux distro, but I'm thinking of a machine that removes all of the crap (GUIs, OOPs, user accounts, etc.) that gets in the way of just putting some shapes on a blank screen and changing them or moving them about).
Aquafire
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm...

Sorry to be a wet blanket ... but quite honestly ... these so called MiniPc's are almost a dime a dozen...

Given that most of them are a 'variation on a theme', you might want to keep up to speed by visiting this site...

http://www.linuxdevices.com/

In the case of the "Cherrypal"

Take a look at this...

Notice the uncanny resemblance..?

http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS2700059670.html

The only difference being (apart form price), is that the above device has a proper Linux OS (Xubuntu) installed.

Whether such mchines are value for money...?

Well that's entirely up to the buyer...Cool

Cheers

Aqua

Which would you choose?

OS X : LinuX : UniX or MS-BolloX.
Krametash

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmmm....
256 MB RAM, 4GB SSD?
Can you upgrade these? It says on the site that you can't, but could you gut it and put in say, 512MB, or even 1GB?
A bit pricey, I reckon, for a 400MHz machine, that could have been purchased years ago.
Other than that it would be alright for a small cute computer, still think the mac mini's waayyyy cooler though Very Happy

Kramer Smile

Edit: On the other hand, my previous comment was a bit harsh, seeing that the machine uses 2 watts of energy....
If it had 512 MB RAM and maybe a 8 GB SSD and maybe a 800 MHz processor, I might buy it....
Very Happy
20" Samsung Widescreen display
Krametash

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aquafire wrote:
Hmmm...

Sorry to be a wet blanket ... but quite honestly ... these so called MiniPc's are almost a dime a dozen...

Given that most of them are a 'variation on a theme', you might want to keep up to speed by visiting this site...

http://www.linuxdevices.com/

In the case of the "Cherrypal"

Take a look at this...

Notice the uncanny resemblance..?

http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS2700059670.html

The only difference being (apart form price), is that the above device has a proper Linux OS (Xubuntu) installed.

Whether such mchines are value for money...?

Well that's entirely up to the buyer...Cool

Cheers

Aqua

Good spotting, Aqua! Very Happy
If Linutop is correct in saying that their 500 MHz processor "offers the equivalent of an 800MHz processor", that doesn't seem like too bad a machine! I like how it's more customizable, and you can add more memory. Expansion's pretty good too; 4 USB ports (two times more than my Macbook?!?!). Would be cool if you could upgrade the storage though. But one could still use this little machine a a full time computer! (If they didn't need high performance, obviously)

One thing though, this weighs in at $410, and considering the power of this thing, you might as well buy a mac mini, which seriously kicks the linutop's ass......

BTW guys, the CherryPal website says that it's processor is triple core? Ever heard of that before???

Krametash Very Happy
20" Samsung Widescreen display
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:39 pm    Post subject: hmm Reply with quote

Hmmm?
I could probably build something using mini-ITX and get a lot more for your money, the form facter would be bigger, but you could do a lot more with it.

This is the case I would use:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811154090
only 2.7L volume and can fit a slim optical drive and 2.5" HDD, but some boards may be too big to fit in it.

"When history is forgotten people don't realize when it repeats."

Going to Missouri S&T!!
Aquafire
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:28 am    Post subject: Re: hmm Reply with quote

dungeon92 wrote:
This is the case I would use:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811154090

Dungeon.

She' not exactly a beauty queen.... Smile

But I'm sure you'd have fun kitting her out...Wink

Aqua

Which would you choose?

OS X : LinuX : UniX or MS-BolloX.
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnnyBoy wrote:
If a machine with a 100MHz processor could be put together for the price of an iPod Shuffle, and loaded up with a simple OS and a friendly programming language, then the current generation of youngsters could find out what its like to make the computer do what you want rather than just being a consumer of other people's programs.
(N.B. I know that this could already happen with a PC and a Linux distro, but I'm thinking of a machine that removes all of the crap (GUIs, OOPs, user accounts, etc.) that gets in the way of just putting some shapes on a blank screen and changing them or moving them about).

Yeah. Something like this: http://www.pcpro.co.uk/macuser/news/216705/apple-ii-reborn-as-6-pc.html
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnnyBoy wrote:
http://www.pcpro.co.uk/macuser/news/216705/apple-ii-reborn-as-6-pc.html

I was just reading about the same thing on Engadget. Smile
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Devo - Thanks for the heads-up... http://www.engadget.com/2008/08/05/move-over-olpc-the-12-apple-ii-based-pc-is-coming/

I think the best part of those articles is the reader comments at the end. Very Happy
The Pontificator
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cherrypal is "experiencing delays" and they are now offering refunds to those who pre-paid.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> SFF Computer and Netbook Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: