123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Asus Eee PC
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> SFF Computer and Netbook Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scooper
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnnyBoy wrote:
You know, I think you're right! I'm really tempted to get one of these. I find that I'm using my MacBook less and less because its weight and occasional hairdryer impersonations are a PITA. I don't need a 2GHz processor when all I want to do is some outlining and text editing.

Go for it! They also appear to be in stock and ready to ship. I contacted Amazon on Monday about mine. They said it could be at least another three weeks.
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really starting to lose interest in UMPCs since the Wind hasn't been released yet and the EEE PC is getting to expensive (thanks to the 40GB SSD they cost $700!), I think if I do get a UMPC it'll be a while.
Also, the Acer Aspire One has gone on sale on Newegg.

"When history is forgotten people don't realize when it repeats."

Going to Missouri S&T!!
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dungeon92 wrote:
I'm really starting to lose interest in UMPCs since the Wind hasn't been released yet...

How come the Brits can get these, and you guys can't? Confused
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnnyBoy wrote:
dungeon92 wrote:
I'm really starting to lose interest in UMPCs since the Wind hasn't been released yet...

No fair! You guys get all the cool stuff first. Netbooks, the Beatles, Zep, the Rolling Stones, Monty Python, free healthcare... Laughing
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was doing a little more research on these things tonight. You may find these videos of interest JB.

Advent 4211 Box opening:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUY9DmnuRNY

Advent 4211 Boot:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiQZ2hIO_uU

Advent 4211 Review:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HteIzivckq4
Krametash

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Guys,

A friend of mine's got one of the original ones, running linux. He says its great, and he got it pretty cheap, less than $300. Apparently they're pretty sturdy too

Kramer Smile
20" Samsung Widescreen display
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnnyBoy wrote:
dungeon92 wrote:

And now it's happened with the Acer Aspire One, the 120GB HDD Linux version isn't available in the NA until next month, but you Brits can get them.

"When history is forgotten people don't realize when it repeats."

Going to Missouri S&T!!
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
I was doing a little more research on these things tonight. You may find these videos of interest JB.

Thank you, Devo! Whilst looking at those, I couldn't help noticing the YouTube vids that demo'd OS X on the Wind. I have to say, the Wind does a far better job of running OS X than the original Eee PC did (the word 'molasses' came to mind while watching OS X on an Eee)...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ov2kJMTK62c
scooper
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still no word from Amazon. Sad

I'm mad because I noticed that mwave has them available. But they are asking $560 for the 3 cell and $630 for the 6 cell.
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dungeon92 wrote:

So now that it has been released, have you seen one yet? They're pretty nice! Smile
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen both the MSI Wind and Asus 1000h in person now. I still can't decide on which one to get. I think the MSI Wind is more refined and Apple looking, but the Asus has slightly better features and specs. I'm mostly thinking about the standard 6-cell battery, 802.11 connectivity and larger multi-touch trackpad. The rest is pretty much a wash.
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen the Asus 1000h yet, but I'm going down to the Philadelphia area this weekend and I'll look for one while I'm there. The 6 cell battery isn't an issue other than for cost - this is a $50 option for the MSI Wind. The store where I bought mine didn't have any in stock and I wasn't certain I liked the battery time - weight tradeoff anyway, so I took what they had (the 3 cell). I can always buy one later if I really want it.

I don't know if 802.11 connectivity is an issue either, unless you're thinking of putting MacOSX on the mini-laptop. If so, the Realtech wifi in the MSI would need to be changed. I don't know about the trackpad on the MSI, but the clicker is a weak point. I prefer having left and right clickers on the side of the trackpad to the MSI arrangement of one longer clicker below the trackpad. I find that I have to move my fingers off the keypad to operate the MSI clicker, partly because of location and partly because of its stiffness.
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just read this review of the Asus 1000h, and it points out a few interesting comparisons with the MSI Wind. The wireless of the Asus is n standard (vs g on the MSI), and that might make a difference to some people. I don't have any n connections, but I don't find g to be slow. The review points out that the MSI can actually give you a faster connection when you're farther from the wireless access point.

Also, the Asus has the clicker below the trackpad like the MSI (rather than one on either side like the Aspire One), albeit two clickers instead of the one pressure-sensitive one of the MSI. But the review noted it to be stiff; same problem as the MSI. Two vs one clicker isn't an issue; you get the right response on the MSI if you touch the portion of the clicker corresponding to left or right click.

Finally, the price of the Asus is about $150 higher than the MSI. About $50 of that is for the 6 cell battery. While all of these mini-laptops seem inexpensive relative to what we're used to paying for an Apple product, I would have been pretty resistant to paying any more than I did for the MSI ($549) given the kind of use I'll make of it. If this was my main laptop, it would be different, but for me, it is a supplement that I'll use when weight and size are an issue.
nickh2

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

even though its not a netbook, im really liking the asus eeebox
Iphone 8gb
Red Ipod nano 4th gen 4gb
CHECK IT OUT
great file hosting/sharing site www.host-a.net
Ipod Master
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting; the specs on the eeebox are almost identical to those of the Wind and several of the other mini-laptops with 9 or 10" displays. Can you open the eeebox and upgrade any of the components (like RAM, HD)?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> SFF Computer and Netbook Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 8 of 11

Jump to: