123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Reports Third Quarter Results

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:57 pm    Post subject: Apple Reports Third Quarter Results Reply with quote

Apple Reports Third Quarter Results
Monday, July 21, 2008
Posted by: Glenn

Apple today announced financial results for its fiscal 2008 third quarter ended June 28, 2008. The company posted revenue of $7.46 billion and net quarterly profit of $1.07 billion, or $1.19 per diluted share. These results compare to revenue of $5.41 billion and net quarterly profit of $818 million, or $.92 per diluted share, in the year-ago quarter. Gross margin was 34.8 percent, down from 36.9 percent in the year-ago quarter. International sales accounted for 42 percent of the quarter's revenue.

Apple shipped 2,496,000 Macintosh computers during the quarter, representing 41 percent unit growth and 43 percent revenue growth over the year-ago quarter. The company sold 11,011,000 iPods during the quarter, representing 12 percent unit growth and seven percent revenue growth over the year-ago quarter. Quarterly iPhone units sold were 717,000 compared to 270,000 in the year-ago-quarter.

"We're proud to report the best June quarter for both revenue and earnings in Apple's history," said Steve Jobs, Apple's CEO. "We set a new record for Mac sales, we think we have a real winner with our new iPhone 3G, and we're busy finishing several more wonderful new products to launch in the coming months."

You can listen to the conference call here for more information.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/997.html
Zuma

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Apple Reports Third Quarter Results Reply with quote

I hope a couple of those are new products are desktops. Preferably ones without a display attached. A netbook class device for under a grand would also be nice.
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Apple Reports Third Quarter Results Reply with quote

Zuma wrote:
I hope a couple of those are new products are desktops. Preferably ones without a display attached. A netbook class device for under a grand would also be nice.

Word!
Fire89

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a shame that Apple didn't update the Mac mini or come out with a replacement. They would have sold 2,496,001 Macs this quarter. Razz
Yvan256
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fire89 wrote:
It's a shame that Apple didn't update the Mac mini or come out with a replacement. They would have sold 2,496,001 Macs this quarter. Razz

Make that 2 496 002 if they changed the form-factor. Like I have a choice anyway. Wink
2nd gen. iPod shuffle (1 GiB)
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apple shares are getting hammered after hours. It's been down as much as $18. Surprised

I guess they guided lower and there are still concerns over the health of Steve Jobs. That said, you gotta be excited about the "wonderful new products" comment. Very Happy
iLife's a Bitch!
WheelSpinners
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope Apple comes out with new Cinema displays soon. They haven't touched them in years.
ESUNintel

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Their stock keeps dropping though cause many investors are worried they fell short of their goal. They have great potential though, no other in the industry has all that Apple has going for them right now, such as the iPhone, Apps store, etc...

It be nice to see a major US/Euro company switch over to OS X from Microsoft to show the world the potential Apple has.
Aargh-a-Knot
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WheelSpinners wrote:
I hope Apple comes out with new Cinema displays soon. They haven't touched them in years.

No doubt! I just checked out the specs on the cinema displays, and couldn't believe how horrendous they are! 700:1 contrast ratio? 16ms response time?(They still claim this to be "Lightning-fast pixel response for full-motion digital video playback") I know its 30" and all, but $1800? Dang. Put down that crack pipe, Mr. Jobs, and get them boys to work!
ESUNintel

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Apple Reports Third Quarter Results Reply with quote

Zuma wrote:

I wish Apple came out with the following things:
-An answer to the ASUS EEE PC
-An UMPC (It probably sell, unlike the Sony UX or Samsung Q1)
-A new Mini (with HDMI for those wanting to plug it into an HDTV)
-A redesigned MacBook Air (with at least one more USB connection, I could live with out the DVD drive, just wish I had more than one USB connection)
-Blu-Ray support!!
-A microATX desktop that fits between the Mac Mini and the Mac Pro (something aimed more towards gamers with a stand alone graphics card, and ability to add more into it, while not as powerful as the Mac Pro)
-Aluminum Macbooks!! (to match the Air and Mac Book Pro)
-iBook, a response to the SOny eReader and Amazon Kindle

...k, sorry, that was a bigger list than I was hoping for Very Happy
WheelSpinners
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

opensky42 wrote:
16ms response time?(They still claim this to be "Lightning-fast pixel response for full-motion digital video playback")

And they wonder why gaming companies can't get excited... Laughing

Thank god for Dell LCDs!!!

ESUNintel wrote:

That's a good list ESUNintel. Smile

I would just add a price reduction and removable battery for the MacBook Air. That would get me more interested in buying one.
ESUNintel

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WheelSpinners wrote:
ESUNintel wrote:

That's a good list ESUNintel. Smile

I would just add a price reduction and removable battery for the MacBook Air. That would get me more interested in buying one.

...that too, cause for the RAM being capped at 2GB, and the CPU being limited to 1.8GHz, the price is a bit high.

...although, if they put in at least a 2.0GHz CPU, allowed for RAM upgrades (and capped it at 4GB), and that USB port I mentioned (maybe 3, rather than 2), than that would justify the price a bit better I would think??

I got mine as a present from my parents, cause it would have been up to me, I wouldn't have gotten one, but so far I love the Air.
WheelSpinners
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ESUNintel wrote:
I got mine as a present from my parents, cause it would have been up to me, I wouldn't have gotten one, but so far I love the Air.

Sweet! That is a nice gift. I would take a free one, upgraded or not. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: