123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Apologizes to MobileMe Subscribers
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:25 am    Post subject: Apple Apologizes to MobileMe Subscribers Reply with quote

Apple Apologizes to MobileMe Subscribers
Wednesday, July 16, 2008
Posted by: Fran

Apple sent out an email to MobileMe subscribers today apologizing for the rocky transition from .Mac to MobileMe. The company also announced that current subscribers would receive a free 30-day extension to their MobileMe subscription for the trouble. Additionally, Apple promised to stop using the word "push" to describe everything in MobileMe. At least until pushing to the cloud can happen instantly from a Mac or PC.

Read more...

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/996.html

Last edited by admin on Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:53 pm; edited 2 times in total
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first set is to admit that you have a problem. Wink
Yvan256
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are on a free trial, you also get an extra 30 days!
2nd gen. iPod shuffle (1 GiB)
Zalez

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yvan256 wrote:
If you are on a free trial, you also get an extra 30 days!

What if you just signed up an hour ago? Smile
hafamaca

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.Mac/MobileMe still doesn't work on my iBook running the latest Tiger...... Mad
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just started having problems syncing contents from my macbook to the "cloud". Cool though, about the extra 30 days, I have two accounts!

I have to admit/hand it to Apple, at least their apology letters are written for normal people. They even used "regular people jargon".

Kudos Apple.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm holding out for three extra trial months! Wink

I really haven't had that many issues with MobileMe. That being said, I got home from a trip on Sunday. I missed that early mess.

I also haven't had much time to play around with it.
Bobaloo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are having problems, try some of these fixes from Version Tracker:

Reset the synchronization data On your Mac open the MobileMe iSync preferences (from the iSync menu or in the system preferences) and under the "Sync" tab select "Advanced". Then click the "Reset Sync Data" button and you will be presented with the option to replace all sync info or just one type of information (calendars, bookmarks, etc). Select the desired data type and click one of the arrows to ensure you reset in the proper direction. If the data on your Mac is current and up to date, then click the right arrow to replace the data on MobileMe. iSync will then re-sync itself, but it is also recommended to manually invoke sync again by clicking the "Sync Now" button.

Enable automatic synchronization This is required for the MobileMe "push" synchronization to work properly for some services. Many .Mac users have had their synchronization preferences set to either Manual or to sync at a specific interval, and changing it to automatic will allow the sync to occur when changes are made, resulting in the desired "push" behavior. Go to the iSync system preferences and in the "sync" tab ensure "Synchronize with MobileMe" is checked and set to "Automatically" in the drop-down menu.

Remove relevant preferences files After resetting the synchronization data and ensuring all contact and calendar data are available on the servers (albeit not syncing automatically), go to the ~/Library/Preferences folder and remove the synchronization preferences files. These are:

~/Library/Preferences/iCalExternalSync.plist
~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.AddressBook.plist
~/Library/Preferences/ByHost/com.apple.DotMacSync.****.plist (**** is unique identifier information)
Workarounds
AppleTVII
16GB iPod Touch 32Gb iPhone
32GB Wi-Fi iPad
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobaloo wrote:
If you are having problems, try some of these fixes from Version Tracker:

Reset the synchronization data On your Mac open the MobileMe iSync preferences (from the iSync menu or in the system preferences) and under the "Sync" tab select "Advanced". Then click the "Reset Sync Data" button and you will be presented with the option to replace all sync info or just one type of information (calendars, bookmarks, etc). Select the desired data type and click one of the arrows to ensure you reset in the proper direction. If the data on your Mac is current and up to date, then click the right arrow to replace the data on MobileMe. iSync will then re-sync itself, but it is also recommended to manually invoke sync again by clicking the "Sync Now" button.

Enable automatic synchronization This is required for the MobileMe "push" synchronization to work properly for some services. Many .Mac users have had their synchronization preferences set to either Manual or to sync at a specific interval, and changing it to automatic will allow the sync to occur when changes are made, resulting in the desired "push" behavior. Go to the iSync system preferences and in the "sync" tab ensure "Synchronize with MobileMe" is checked and set to "Automatically" in the drop-down menu.

Remove relevant preferences files After resetting the synchronization data and ensuring all contact and calendar data are available on the servers (albeit not syncing automatically), go to the ~/Library/Preferences folder and remove the synchronization preferences files. These are:

~/Library/Preferences/iCalExternalSync.plist
~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.AddressBook.plist
~/Library/Preferences/ByHost/com.apple.DotMacSync.****.plist (**** is unique identifier information)
Workarounds

Bobaloo, I thought you might had fixed my problem but, alas, it's still there. This is what I get:

I've done everything I can think of:

1) changed the computer name
2) changed the computer's file sharing name
3) deleted all the plist files
4) unregistered the computer from MobileMe

I'm at a lost now.

Anyone, anything?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

K, so I had a brainfart. Everytime I resynced to MobileMe I kept telling it to replace the data on my machine instead of replacing the data on MobileMe, once I did that, it synced fine.

DOH!
ESUNintel

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apple did a good thing by apologizing, unlike others in the industry. I personally, was not greatly affected by the transition, but do thank them for adding an extra month of service. Thanks Apple.

...now the iPhone, that was headache, a free month of service would be greatly appreciated Very Happy
idave

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope they issue another apology tomorrow for this weekend. I'm either in that 1% that can't access mail or they are having major troubles again. I think my worst fears have come true about MobileMe. The backend appears to be lacking and the service wasn't ready for primetime. This was nothing more than a rush job to ship with the iPhone. Steve and company should be ashamed. Sad
2.0GHz Core 2 Duo Mac mini '09 (sold)
2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 Mac mini
ESUNintel

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

idave wrote:
I hope they issue another apology tomorrow for this weekend. I'm either in that 1% that can't access mail or they are having major troubles again. I think my worst fears have come true about MobileMe. The backend appears to be lacking and the service wasn't ready for primetime. This was nothing more than a rush job to ship with the iPhone. Steve and company should be ashamed. Sad

I've been able to get e-mails. They did do something to their SMTP server though, cause I can't get smtp.mac.com nor smtp.me.com to work, and I've tried a possible ports. ...so now I can't get Window Server reports sent to my .mac/mobile me e-mail address.
hafamaca

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some reason my iBook running the latest Tiger doesn't recognize my username in the .Mac preferences...so I can't sync anything. Having this problem since MobileMe came out.

Works fine on Leopard though.

Rolling Eyes Mad
ESUNintel

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hafamaca wrote:
For some reason my iBook running the latest Tiger doesn't recognize my username in the .Mac preferences...so I can't sync anything. Having this problem since MobileMe came out.

Works fine on Leopard though.

Rolling Eyes Mad

I had that same issue with Leopard a few days ago. I got tired of trying, and a few hours later it worked.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: