123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Safari or Firefox
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> General Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
homerjatmoes

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Safari or Firefox Reply with quote

dubmick wrote:
Which do you guys use?

I use Firefox 99.9% of the time Opera 0.1% (got a free licencse last month from there 10 year celebration) safari 0%.

I have nothing against Safari but it is lacking the free and numerous extensions I have become used to in Firefox and Opera is just plain fast. I also use Windows a lot and having the same browser accross the platforms is nice. If I only used IE on Windows I would probably grow to like Safari.

This of course comes down to the Coke v. Pepsi debate, it's a personal choice and thankfully we have a few browsers to choose from.

P.S.

I like Pepsi
80GB HDD
External DVD burner
45.23 Xbench 1.2 average
FireWire Boot Guide
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ba747heavy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey all -

Pretty new to the Mac world. A mere 3 days as a matter of fact Smile I have been a die-hard, long standing FF fan. I use it on my gentoo linux box, my Fedora box (before it turned into a server), and my windows box. I thought I would use it on my Mac Mini as well. However, I find that FF is just slow on the mini. I don't know what it is (ram?), but I find load times is exceedingly long. I suspect it is a ram issue, and when the vendor I bought the mini from gets the 512 stick of ram in I probably will be more happy. However, I found some odd UI quirks in FF that I have never seen on linux or windows. One being installation of extensions locks up FF for up to 5 minutes. I click on the extension, and the browers takes a nap. The traditional warning dialoge comes up, with the option to "install" all lit up nice, but clicking on it does nothing. I can get FF to like me again in a couple of minutes, extension installs fine, and life goes on. Again, could be a ram issue, but the system responds just fine during the whole thing. I can open new windows of safari, finder, etc etc and the system acts just fine.

I have been trying Safari and I have to say it is a fantastic browers. If I wasn't so entrenched in my FF extensions (weather, mouse gestures), and FF tabs Safari would be an admirable browser for me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> General Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: