123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anything else to consider besides Extreme for new network?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Networking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CaliforniaMini
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:18 am    Post subject: Anything else to consider besides Extreme for new network? Reply with quote

I'm tired of not being able to connect to my network. I thought the main problem was with my old TiBook but I'm having the same problems with my new MacBook. Signal drops in-and-out, unable to locate network, etc.
I've come to the conclusion that the main problem is with the old snow Airport Extreme. I don't need huge range since I'm in a fairly small condo, but I want it to be consistent. I want to upgrade and like the current Airport, but is there something else I should consider for reliability?

Thanks!!!
Mini 2.0GHz (Early 2009), 4GB RAM, 320GB 72k RPM HD
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't need the extra wired ports, I'd recommend an Airport Express. I've been using one, worry free, now for over 2 years and wireless printing all the while to 6 machines!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
CaliforniaMini
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a g Express that I'm using as a range extender and print serve rand for that it works fine. I do want to be able to print wirelessly and I am interested in eventually some sore of network storages so an Express alone wouldn't do it. What I had in mind, if I do get another Extreme, I'll most likely get an n Express as well and keep my set-up mainly as-is and only upgrade. I've dpne some more looking around and from what I've seen, it sounds like the new Extreme resolves a lot of the connectivity issues I'm experiencing.
miniconvert

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can, reflash the router and then reset it to the defaults and test from there. If it works fine in its default settings then reconfigure it to your desired settings. Test some more. If it is fixed then..it is fixed. If it still gives you issues then it is time to replace the router.
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought an AirPort Extreme and Express (mostly for a receiver connected to outdoor speakers) a few weeks ago. They are working beautifully together. The rest of my Macs are connected to the Extreme via Ethernet. I can't wait to sit on the porch and control my tunes. Just waiting on AT&T to get more iPhones. Mad
iLife's a Bitch!
CaliforniaMini
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

g5g5 wrote:
I just bought an AirPort Extreme and Express (mostly for a receiver connected to outdoor speakers) a few weeks ago. They are working beautifully together. The rest of my Macs are connected to the Extreme via Ethernet. I can't wait to sit on the porch and control my tunes. Just waiting on AT&T to get more iPhones. Mad

I'm assuming n Extreme and Express? If so, hows coverage? Any dropouts? Are there any other networks in your area? I'm thinking thats part of the problem I have as well. I'm in a fairly high density area. There are times when I see up to 15 other networks in the area.
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaliforniaMini wrote:
I'm assuming n Extreme and Express? If so, hows coverage? Any dropouts? Are there any other networks in your area? I'm thinking thats part of the problem I have as well. I'm in a fairly high density area. There are times when I see up to 15 other networks in the area.

They are the 802.11n models. That being said, the Apple TV is my only real 802.11n device. I've decided to wait on buying a MacBook until they come with a multi-touch trackpad. I have an older IBM Thinkpad with 802.11g, but haven't even tried it out. No issues with the Apple TV though. The signal is at full strength.

Oh yeah, we have a ton of wireless networks in our neighborhood. But most of them are using channel 11. I use channel 7 to avoid any conflicts. I still scan with AirRadar every now and again to see what's going on.

Come to think of it, I would try changing your channel and enabling interference robustness on the old AirPort. That might help with some of your drops.
iLife's a Bitch!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Networking All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: