123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Powerbooks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Notebooks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 4:09 pm    Post subject: Powerbooks Reply with quote

If I really take a liking to OS X, I'm thinking maybe I have my work buy me a PowerBook instead of a new ThinkPad once my current one becomes dated.

Anyone currently own one? And, if so, is there anything new on the horizon in regards to Mac portables that I should be waiting for?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
leftplay

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mavherzog, before you make that buy make sure you spend some time in front of the PB's screen before you buy. I love, love the PBs, except for their screens. I don't know if it's because of the anti-glare layer that's used but fonts look horrible on them - especially if you're used to good screens that produce sharp fonts. I borrowed a friend’s 17-inch PB for a month to see if I really wanted one and in the end the screen just didn't do it for me - especially with all the typing I do. To be fair, other people don't seem to notice the problem as much as I do so you might be fine with it. But like I said try to spend some time in front of one with apps you would normally run on it so you can decide for yourself.

I think when the new Intel PBs come out I'll fall in love all over again - and if any of the rumors that Apple's been hiring ex-Sony Viao engineers is true then we can look forward to long battery life operation as well as maybe an Xbrite like LCD layer - I'm crossing my fingers for that one.

Sam
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

leftplay wrote:
Mavherzog, before you make that buy make sure you spend some time in front of the PB's screen before you buy. I love, love the PBs, except for their screens. I don't know if it's because of the anti-glare layer that's used but fonts look horrible on them - especially if you're used to good screens that produce sharp fonts. I borrowed a friend’s 17-inch PB for a month to see if I really wanted one and in the end the screen just didn't do it for me - especially with all the typing I do. To be fair, other people don't seem to notice the problem as much as I do so you might be fine with it. But like I said try to spend some time in front of one with apps you would normally run on it so you can decide for yourself.

I think when the new Intel PBs come out I'll fall in love all over again - and if any of the rumors that Apple's been hiring ex-Sony Viao engineers is true then we can look forward to long battery life operation as well as maybe an Xbrite like LCD layer - I'm crossing my fingers for that one.

Sam

I posted that in March. Smile

I am thinking of going with an iBook sometime this winter. Of course, waiting for the Intel ones might be an option as well.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
leftplay

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha Laughing Laughing Laughing

Ops! I forget the Portables forum doesn't get that many postings.

I like the iBook as well - it would be perfect for me if it had a widescreen display.
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My sister has a PB and it's her only computer. 1.25Ghz, 15". She loves it a lot. I would get a PB just because of the backlit keyboard. If you have no urgent need for a notebook, I would wait for the Mactels. The PBs produce a ridiculous amount of heat and it comes out of all of the machine since it's all metal. It runs a little too hot for me as it has burned me a couple times. My Windows laptop doesn't, though. It runs the Pentium M that the new Mactels will be based on, and it's nice and cool.
1.42Ghz PPC Mac Mini, 1Gb RAM, 1st Gen
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Notebooks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: