123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chase Freedom card Apple store bonus

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> General Mac Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CaliforniaMini
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:22 am    Post subject: Chase Freedom card Apple store bonus Reply with quote

Just thought I'd throw this out there for anyone that has or may be considering a Chase Freedom credit card. As some here know, I recently purchased a refurbished MacBook from the online Apple store. I paid with my Chase Freedom Visa card which I would have done anyway. I won't go into details, but Chase Freedom is a rewards credit card which lets me choose either reward points or cash back. I choose cash since its easier to spend than points. Long story short, 1% cash back on all purchases, 3% back on certain categories. Also, they have bonus rewards. When you click a link from Chase's site to certain participating merchants (Apple Store is one of many), you get bonus cash or points on top of what you get for using your card. Apple store currently is 3% plus the 1% back for using the card. All totalled, I got about $43 back for the MacBook purchase which made it right around $1016 before tax.

And the rewards are simple to redeem. Once you save up $50 you can request to have a check sent. I've always received them within a week when I did. Or, if you can wait until you save up $200, they'll send a check for $250. Granted, I realize its not a whole lot, all $$$ counts, especially at times like now. And for using a credit card which I would have done already, its not a bad deal.

I've got no affiliation with Chase, besides having one of their cards, just thought I'd pass this along to anyone who may be interested.

BTW Apple doesn't only do this with Chase. I've got a Citi rewards card as well, and it is the same thing there. So if you've got a rewards card, look into the bonus rewards before you make that next online purchase!!! Smile
Mini 2.0GHz (Early 2009), 4GB RAM, 320GB 72k RPM HD
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would have thought that a company the size of Apple would have announced an Apple credit card by now. Amazon offer their own credit card, although I haven't looked into the benefits of having one.
Rightondamark

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnnyBoy wrote:
You would have thought that a company the size of Apple would have announced an Apple credit card by now. Amazon offer their own credit card, although I haven't looked into the benefits of having one.

I'm not surprised by that. Our county is on the verge of a major credit card and mortgage crisis. Why do they need that hassle? It's not like they need incentives to help sell their products. At least not for now. Our economy could get worse before it gets better.
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rightondamark wrote:
I'm not surprised by that. Our county is on the verge of a major credit card and mortgage crisis.

I didn't say that I thought Apple should announce a credit card NOW, I said that I was surprised that they hadn't done it BEFORE now. Just like Amazon.
Rightondamark wrote:
Why do they need that hassle? It's not like they need incentives to help sell their products.

You can use your Amazon card at stores other than Amazon. If Apple brought out a credit card, you wouldn't just be limited to spending it with Apple. Apple would make money from the card wherever people used it. It would just be one more way of leveraging their very popular brand-name. I'm sure that many people would want to be seen carrying an Apple credit card.
Rightondamark wrote:
Our economy could get worse before it gets better.

Yep. I think everybody's economy is in the same boat, dude. Sad
CaliforniaMini
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore?instantcredit=yes

That as close as Apple comes to their own card. Doesn't look like it has the Apple or iTunes logo on it. This might be betterif it offered Apple 'cash' that could be used for iTunes or anything else in the Apple store.

One benefit, I think, of having a card like the one I have is that the cash back is just that, a check which can be cashed and spent anywhere or saved, which I like to do.
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CM, I didn't know about that card. I like the 'black-on-black' styling, but like you say there's no Apple branding.

I guess I'll just stick to my old, reliable IndyMac credit card... Wink
CaliforniaMini
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnnyBoy wrote:

I guess I'll just stick to my old, reliable IndyMac credit card... Wink

Does that thing still work?
Bobaloo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few years back, there was a Citibank MasterCard that had an Apple logo on it. You earned points towards Apple merchandise with it. For some reason, it was discontinued and replaced with a standard Citi MasterCard. I never really got the reason why.
AppleTVII
16GB iPod Touch 32Gb iPhone
32GB Wi-Fi iPad
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobaloo wrote:
A few years back, there was a Citibank MasterCard that had an Apple logo on it. You earned points towards Apple merchandise with it. For some reason, it was discontinued and replaced with a standard Citi MasterCard. I never really got the reason why.

Ah, so it looks like Apple have already dipped their toes in that one...
CaliforniaMini
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobaloo wrote:

Yea, I had one of those. Bought my first Mac ... a Performa with it. That shows how long ago it was. Must be about 13 years ago since they got rid of it.
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess what I found...

CaliforniaMini
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW! A collectors item there. I'd love to have a card that looks like that, only with my name on it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> General Mac Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: