123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DEFINITELY O.T. -- work discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 8:10 am    Post subject: DEFINITELY O.T. -- work discussion Reply with quote

Ok, first off, is there anyone here that currently (or has in the past) worked a third shift? (12am-8am type deal) I'm been an 9-5 guy for the majority of my career (well, aside from the insane time in Saudi during the FIRST Gulf War...but that is another story)

I'm considering making a move to a company that would have me working a third shift. One of the nice things would be that I would alternate 3 days a week and 4 days a week (one of the days would be longer than 8 hours I believe)...but because it is a night shift, the consider the position full-time (even though it is alternating 30 and 35 hrs/wk).

Having 3 young children, I'm thinking this would afford me some additional time to spend with them. Also, I believe that the job wiill be quite technically fulfilling (one of my issues with my current job is that I've gotten away from daily technical work and it is a bit annoying).

Thoughts?? Smile
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like you already have it pretty good. I think you should see if you can get more technical duties thrown into your current job. I didn't hear you complain about it other than that.

What about seniority, pension, holiday time etc. You never gave enough info. But my guess is, if your asking the question. Don't do it.

Be thankful for what you have. Work takes me away from home up to 450 hours a month. There are only 720 hours in most months. I quit and have taken a few months off, but will be returning to similar work soon.
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm an IT security manager for two fairly large datacenters. I currently do things like recommend security best practices, monitor patch management, work on security policy/awareness, etc.

I wouldn't make a move if I had to sacrifice money, vacation time, or benefits that matter (health insurance, 401k, etc).
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mavherzog wrote:
I'm an IT security manager for two fairly large datacenters. I currently do things like recommend security best practices, monitor patch management, work on security policy/awareness, etc.

I wouldn't make a move if I had to sacrifice money, vacation time, or benefits that matter (health insurance, 401k, etc).

So you're saying that this job would be an improvement in pretty much every way besides the hours you would be working? I would say what time you is a concern, especially if you want to spend more time with your kids; I don't know how much sleep you need, but I need a good 8 hours. You could sleep during the day when your kids are at school I guess, but it's just an issue that needs to be addressed.

Overall I don't see why you wouldn't do it, just make sure you have a plan for sleep, though with kids, it's always less of a plan and more of a "please, God, let me sleep" kinda thing.
1.42Ghz PPC Mac Mini, 1Gb RAM, 1st Gen
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm actually thinking the hours would be a benefit. (I would work LESS hours...but they would be at night) Basically, I'd be switching sleep and work schedules, but get 3 days and 4 days off a week (alternating).

We'll see. I am on the fence about leaving my current company (they are truly a top-notch organization...I'm just not sure I can enjoy my current position long-term). I certainly understand that I am one of the fortunate ones that has many opportunities...and for that I am truly thankful.
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mavherzog wrote:
I'm actually thinking the hours would be a benefit. (I would work LESS hours...but they would be at night) Basically, I'd be switching sleep and work schedules, but get 3 days and 4 days off a week (alternating).

We'll see. I am on the fence about leaving my current company (they are truly a top-notch organization...I'm just not sure I can enjoy my current position long-term). I certainly understand that I am one of the fortunate ones that has many opportunities...and for that I am truly thankful.

I would recommend leaving if you're on the fence. Of course your old job is a safe bet, but if there's uncertainty in the long term opportunities, why stay? It doesn't sound like you run any risk by taking this new job besides the risk inherent in any change, because for every aspect related to that job it sounds like its an improvement.

Just don't regret not taking this opportunity down the road...
1.42Ghz PPC Mac Mini, 1Gb RAM, 1st Gen
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think those new hours suck. Believe me... working 400+ hours a month on call 24/7 is my life. I know.
Read up on the health risks of working a graveyard shift.

With kids I wouldn't even consider it. You'll see them less guaranteed and when you do see them you'll be a grouchy zombie.
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
I think those new hours suck. Believe me... working 400+ hours a month on call 24/7 is my life. I know.
Read up on the health risks of working a graveyard shift.

With kids I wouldn't even consider it. You'll see them less guaranteed and when you do see them you'll be a grouchy zombie.

I'd be working alternating 30hrs/wk and 35hrs/wk. I understand where YOU are coming from though. I've done the type of schedule you are talking about and it really DOES suck.

I haven't made up my mind yet...and I'll be chatting with all parties involved for at least another week or so...

BTW, what type of work do you do that has you working such insane hours?? (and, if you are so against it, why do you DO it?) Smile
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I install/troubleshoot/maintain the computer network, satellite communication and instrumentation on drilling rigs.

Need I say why I do it?

I like the work, but it sure takes away a lot of freedom and time. I wouldn't do it if I had kids.
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like fun. I know that pretty much any type of work dealing with oil rigs is pretty wicked hours. I worked with satellite and microwave (troposcatter) comm equipment when I was in the military. Enjoyed it very much.
castufari

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the money is much nicer and you think it will give you more time with the kids then go for it.

The downside is that you're going to need to sleep, correct? Smile If the kids are off from school due to summer vacation or it being a weekend, are they going to run into the bedroom and wake you up? Beat on the door? Is your spouse going to "forget" your off hours and plan for you to watch the kids 1/2 into your sleep time? If you do this shift, tell your neighors so they won't mow the lawn during this time. I'm speaking from experience, my x would wake me up 3 hours into my sleep to go somewhere or she'd invite her nephews over and they'd beat on the door and would also like little interbreeds until I ran them off. (notice the term "x").
homerjatmoes

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to work 3rd shift when I had a factory job. I preferred 1st because it was more "normal" but the weekends were longer. We worked Monday through Friday 10pm to 6:30am and got a whole 35ยข shift differential. I would go home Friday morning sleep till Noon and then have a regular weekend. The only problem was getting up Sunday morning and staying up untill Monday morning.

As for second shift I hated it. It seemed like all you did was sleep and work.

I now work days as an IT at a bank where the work week is only 35.5 hours.
80GB HDD
External DVD burner
45.23 Xbench 1.2 average
FireWire Boot Guide
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, against some of your advice, I decided to take the job. I will be working alternative scheules of 30hrs/wk and 38hrs/wk. (alternating 3-days-on/4-days-off and 4-days-on/3-days-off) Yes, it is a third shift, but it will alot me more time with my kids (even considering the odd sleep schedule I will have to adjust to).
LouieMacGoo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mavherzog,

Welcome to the nightshift! I have been on Midnights for 12 years. Working in a hospital that is open 24/7/365 the midnight shift is the only way to go as far as I am concerned. I to have 3 kids and being able to work 12 hour midnight shifts 3 days a week has allowed us to keep our kids out of daycare and in our home all the time. This is not only a big savings in child care but with my wife's flexible work schedule has also been good for our daughters knowing that someone is always home should they need us. Midnights is not easy and the lack of sleep sucks but the extra time with the family and the long weekends off make it worth it. If you would like any tips on how to survive midnights and the lack of sleep you are welcome to email, IM or PM me through the board here and I will be glad to help. You made the right choice.
G3 iMac DV 400mhz 512mg RAM 40gb HD, SuperDrive
Follow me http://twitter.com/louiemacgoo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Ranter

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was 40 years ago this summer that I worked the Midnight shift. I was always a little tired, but that was prolly largely due to the fact that I was doing manual labor in a steel mill. Like I said, 40 years ago, when there were still steel mills in America that actually made steel.

The best tip I can offer is to try to go to sleep at the same time every day, or as close to it as you can. What you don't want is to end up in bed but unable to sleep.

Weapons are the tools of violence; all decent men detest them.
Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: