123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mac mini Faceplate Mod

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 1:43 pm    Post subject: Mac mini Faceplate Mod Reply with quote

Mac mini Faceplate Mod
Tuesday September 6, 2005

MacMod's Great Mod Challenge has inspired another Mac mini mod. This time we have the Mac mini Faceplate Mod. The top of the Mac mini's case has been replaced with a clear piece of 1/8" Plexiglass. There are five 3mm LEDs wired underneath the Plexiglass to light up the top of the case. All the LEDs are wired to a USB cable for power. The Modder has also moved the power button from the back of the Mac mini to the top of the case. He's cut out a custom-made Apple logo from the Plexiglass to be used as the power button. Pretty groovy!

Brian writes: "We have all seen the Mac minis. Having one on your desk is already a focal point. It's a powerful computer in a small package. In the past few years I think Apple's designs for all their computers have been a step above the ordinary PC, especially now with the Mac mini, eMac, iMac, and Power Mac. To me there's only one thing missing, personal customization with the Mac mini. I mean, the iPod mini has 4 different colors, the normal iPod has the U2 edition along with the standard white. But when you buy a Mac mini, that's it, that's what you have, an attractive machine, but everyone who has one has the EXACT same looking one as you. When this happens my brain goes to work, I don't like being like everyone else so this is where my new project got its start."

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/354.html
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People have been yip yapping about doing a light mod for months. It's nice to see someone finally do it. I would've tried to take that sticker off the top of the combo/superdrive though.
iLife's a Bitch!
idek

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any one know if the top of the mini is translucent at all? I think it would look a lot better if you took the metal plate off the back of the white top and put some lights beneath that. The plexiglass is cool and I like pushing the apple to turn it on, but it looks pretty messy.

I definitely give him an A for effort and modding, but I think it's not as 'clean' as the mac mini deserves.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

idek wrote:
Any one know if the top of the mini is translucent at all? I think it would look a lot better if you took the metal plate off the back of the white top and put some lights beneath that. The plexiglass is cool and I like pushing the apple to turn it on, but it looks pretty messy.

That's a good question. Leaving the original top on might let some light shine through and because it's not as translucent it may diffuse some of the light causing a more even glow. It should also do a better job of hiding the ugly wires.
LouieMacGoo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a technical level I'll give this mod an A! But on a creative and visually pleasing level I have to give it a D! I like the idea of the lights but I have never been big fan of showing the inner workings unless it was as good looking as the outside. The Mini was not made with inside looks in mind!
G3 iMac DV 400mhz 512mg RAM 40gb HD, SuperDrive
Follow me http://twitter.com/louiemacgoo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LouieMacGoo wrote:
I like the idea of the lights but I have never been big fan of showing the inner workings unless it was as good looking as the outside. The Mini was not made with inside looks in mind!

Taking that sticker off the drive and getting some clear little cable ties with adhesive bases would go a long way. Ties would look a lot better than electrical tape.

blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This mod is better than the Star Wars one.
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
manatarms

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 4:45 pm    Post subject: Mac Mini Mod Reply with quote

Reminds me of the mac world magazine mac mini cover, but not as cool. This was a mod I had been thinking about but since the drive is all you can really see its not so cool. Maybe someone can try this mod but around the sides of the mini not the top.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: