123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

So who has ATT, and can't get the subsidized price?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> iPhone, iPod touch and iPad
View previous topic :: View next topic  
UMJonny

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:58 pm    Post subject: So who has ATT, and can't get the subsidized price? Reply with quote

I've been looking forward to this 3g iPhone for some time now.

$199 isn't really "half the price" when you consider the added 10 dollars per month ATT is throwing in. ($240 extra after your two year agreement). Really, it's like ATT is saying "Hey, put 200 down, and you have 24 months to pay the rest!"

So, with the non-subsidized price being $399, you're looking at around $640. I don't think so.

I just upgraded and renewed my contract with ATT in December. So, i'm not eligible now for the subsidized price. Oh well, Apple/ATT won't be getting my business for some time i guess...
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: So who has ATT, and can't get the subsidized price? Reply with quote

I'm pissed about the data plan increase, but I'm still getting one. Have you tried talking to them in person, or did you just check with the online eligibly thingy?
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: So who has ATT, and can't get the subsidized price? Reply with quote

UMJonny wrote:
I just upgraded and renewed my contract with ATT in December. So, i'm not eligible now for the subsidized price.

Why is that? I've gotten new phones multiple times during a "contract period". All that happened was each time I got a new phone (at the discounted price) they renewed my contract for two years starting from that date. Why would the iPhone be any different?

I have an iPhone now that I'm going to replace with the new one. My old phone will go to my wife. If they try to make me pay the full price of the iPhone they will be losing a ton of money in the end. That's something I'm sure they (AT&T) have thought about. . .
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
barnz

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: So who has ATT, and can't get the subsidized price? Reply with quote

[quote="hackersmovie"]
UMJonny wrote:
I've gotten new phones multiple times during a "contract period". All that happened was each time I got a new phone (at the discounted price) they renewed my contract for two years starting from that date. Why would the iPhone be any different?

Mee too.
UMJonny

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess i'll have to look into it. I'm not gonna be around the store any time on friday though lol

bunch of psychos tryin to get it the first day...
imola.zhp

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ yes, do look into it...

I called ATT this morning, even though I just got my EDGE iPhone in September of 2007, I'm eligible for an upgrade...

Not sure if I'm going to go ahead and get a 3g or wait until I've had the insurance policy on the EDGE for just over a year. Its through State Farm and though the phone's screen is cracked, its working just fine. If I replace it prior to having the policy open for a year I fear I might get dropped, then if the 3g is damaged, lost or stolen I'd be up a creek...

Current
32g iPhone4; 13" MBP 2.4/4g Ram/250g hd; 1TB TC; 2 ATV2's; Airport Express

Previous
8g iPhone Edge; 32g iPhone 3gS
8g iPod Nano (2nd); 16g iPod Nano (6th)
Mini 2.0/4g Ram/120g hd
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:14 pm    Post subject: eh Reply with quote

I'm almost giving up on getting an iPhone if the Android phone would just come out Laughing .

"When history is forgotten people don't realize when it repeats."

Going to Missouri S&T!!
idave

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: eh Reply with quote

dungeon92 wrote:
I'm almost giving up on getting an iPhone if the Android phone would just come out Laughing .

We could be on a 2nd generation iPhone 3G by then. That project is moving sloooooooooooow.
2.0GHz Core 2 Duo Mac mini '09 (sold)
2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 Mac mini
Poison Apple

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: So who has ATT, and can't get the subsidized price? Reply with quote

UMJonny wrote:
I just upgraded and renewed my contract with ATT in December. So, i'm not eligible now for the subsidized price. Oh well, Apple/ATT won't be getting my business for some time i guess...

Yes, I'm concerned also. I thought AT&T would just re-start my contract for 2 years from the date I purchased the iPhone. Now based on what I've read on their web site they may what to charge me another $200 to "Purchase an early upgrade" as they state it on their iReady document. That along with a $10 a month increase for the iPhone capability plus $5 for 200 text messages (which was included with the 2G plan), I'm not sure I'm willing to put down that much coin no matter how nice it would be to have an iPhone. I'm going to go by a couple of AT&T and Apple stores tomorrow and see what happens.
Dell E228WFP Dispaly
Monsoon Speaker System
Poison Apple

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I got the new 3G iPhone today after waiting only an hour and a half. Yep, they wanted to charge me another $200 for an "early upgrade", so I added a line to my account and swapped the SIMs between the iPhone and my old Razr phone and gave the Razr phone to my daughter who has been ridding me for a phone for sometime. I just need to verify the charges are correct and I don't get charged for data on the iPhone now that I'm using my old number in it. Customer Service for AT&T is not open on Sunday! Who's the idiot who made that move?
Dell E228WFP Dispaly
Monsoon Speaker System
UMJonny

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been trying, and have had absolutely no luck getting an iPhone for 199.

One of the lines on our account it eligible on November 23rd. So, i have to wait until that exact day.

They offered to upgrade me to ANY OTHER phone, just not the iPhone, as that was the agreement they had with Apple.

Why would apple prevent certain people from having an iPhone in their hand? They make the same money either way, no?

I don't get these people...
Poison Apple

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UMJonny,

AT&T may have put the blame on Apple, but they are the service provider so I think it's their issue. After I added the line, swapped SIM cards and linked the iPhone with iTunes again I THOUGHT I was good to go. When I checked on the web, AT&T was still showing the iPhone data plane on the new phone number and not my existing number. Well it took a couple of weeks which during that time I didn't use the AT&T data network (3G or EDGE) but it's finally all straight.

On the two days that I had used the iPhone on my existing number without the iPhone data plan, I used 25 Mb and at a penny per Kb I had ran up a bill of over $250!! When I first called AT&T Customer Service they gave me the company line. I was at the airport and my flight was over 2 hours late so I was already in a mood. Evil or Very Mad

I backed off wrote everything down and called again the following morning. I asked to speak with a supervisor and after waiting 5 minutes finally got a supervisor. I explained to him what was going on and how I was told I could swap the numbers by swapping the SIM cards and syncing with iTunes and I had done all of that and the data plan was still on the new number. I explained to him I could use the new number on the iPhone but all it would do is cause a hassle for me and they were going to make the same amount of money either way. He told me they were having problems because of the volume of activations they experiencing and he would look into getting it straight. He told me someone would call me on Friday (this was a Tuesday) and I asked for a number I could reach him at, and to my surprise he gave me his direct line.

Friday came and went and no one called, so on the following Monday I called the supervisor back. He answered right away and I told him no one had called on Friday. He apologized and told me there had been a problem with his request going to the people who took care of this kind of thing and again he would look into it and have someone call me by Friday. On Thursday someone called me and told me everything had been corrected and the iPhone Data plan was now on the number I've had for over 16 years. Because of the billing cycle, it wasn't showing up correctly on my on-line billing and it said it would after the 26th of July. The supervisor I spoke with called and left a message saying he did see where my $250 data bill was going to billing and he had credited my account to zero that out.

I used to work in the Technical Operations Department of AT&T Wireless, the first time they were AT&T Wireless. I have an idea of what it takes to do all of this and I understand it's not always easy. With any thing technical if something goes wrong it can usually be traced back to a person who messed up along the way. Computers (no mater the type or size) are stupid and only do what we tell them to do, they just do it very quickly. I want to try and find out where to send a letter to thank this supervisor because he did more than give me the company line.

I know none of that solves your problem and I don't know how your account is set up, number of phones and things like that. If you're not tied to your number, add another line for the iPhone, turn off the phone / number you are going to replace it with and when the contract on that phone expires cancel it?

I'm really enjoying my iPhone and I think all the nay say'ers are people locked into other carriers and don't want to switch to AT&T. I don't see anyone in line waiting for their supposed iPhone Killer? I travel a lot, like every week and I carry movies and TV shows to watch on the plane. I try to stay at the Hyatt Place that has a 42" plasma in every room, so I bought the video cable from Apple and now I can watch my movies on the big screen while I'm there. I've managed to sync all my contacts from my work computer and that's been a God send. I've never been a big fan of YouTube, but now I find myself checking out videos there. I have a number of mobile web pages like my local paper and USA Today that I can easily surf. All of that and the fact that Apple design is like nothing else out there, I think the iPhone is a revolutionary technological device that is going to change the way we work and play.
Dell E228WFP Dispaly
Monsoon Speaker System
UMJonny

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had this number for like 6 years, so i don't want to give it up.

We have three lines on our account, the closest upgradeable one is eligible in November on the 23rd. So, i have to wait until that exact day.

I'm so tempted to just pay 399 for one, but i can't do it. It's garbage to give them that kind of money.
Poison Apple

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel your pain and understand, maybe AT&T will come to their senses and just restart the 2 year contract from the day you get an iPhone, that's what they did with the first generation iPhone. It's not going to cost them any more money to do that. Keep the faith man and hopefully things will work out soon.
Dell E228WFP Dispaly
Monsoon Speaker System
UMJonny

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My brilliant freaking plan:

You can get the iPhone for 399 no matter what if you're an att customer. So, that's what i did.

So, after i've done that, i still have to option of upgrading a phone on my mom's line of service. Her phone is brand new, nice phone too. So, she doesnt need it.

LG VU is $129 subsidized from ATT, and sells for 350+ on ebay.

There's my subsidized iPhone price!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> iPhone, iPod touch and iPad All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: