123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Unveils iPod nano
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 1:29 pm    Post subject: Apple Unveils iPod nano Reply with quote

Apple Unveils iPod nano
Wednesday September 7, 2005

Apple has unveiled the iPod nano, a revolutionary full-featured iPod that holds 1,000 songs yet is thinner than a standard #2 pencil and less than half the size of competitive players. The iPod nano features an ultra-portable, lightweight design with a gorgeous color screen, Apple's patent pending Click Wheel and the ability to hold 1,000 songs or 25,000 photos. iPod nano works seamlessly with the iTunes Music Store, the world's number one digital music service. The iPod nano is available immediately in a 4GB model priced at just $249 and a 2GB model priced at just $199, with both models available in stunning white or black designs.

"iPod nano is the biggest revolution since the original iPod," said Steve Jobs, Apple's CEO in the press release. "iPod nano is a full-featured iPod in an impossibly small size, and it's going to change the rules for the entire portable music market."

iPod nano, thinner than a standard #2 pencil and weighing only 1.5 ounces, comes in two models -- the 4GB iPod nano holds up to 1,000 songs and the 2GB iPod nano holds up to 500 songs. iPod nano features Apple's innovative Click Wheel for precise, one-handed navigation, and its ultra-portable design fits into even the smallest pocket making it easy to take iPod nano to the gym, in the car, traveling, commuting or anywhere you go.

The most fashionable and wearable iPod ever, the iPod nano features optional accessories including lanyard headphones, which integrate the headphone cables into the lanyard, so users can wear their iPod nano around their neck without dangling headphone cables. For customers looking to personalize their iPod nano with colors, an optional set of iPod nano Tubes in pink, purple, blue, green and clear offers fashionable protection in a sheer casing while enabling full operation of all functions including the Click Wheel. Optional armbands available in gray, pink, blue, red and green allow users to wear their iPod nano as the ultimate fashion and sports accessory.

iPod nano features the same 30-pin dock connector as the iPod and iPod mini, allowing it to work effortlessly with a wide range of over 1,000 accessories developed for iPod, including home stereo speakers and iPod car adapters for an incredible music experience at home or in the car.

Featuring seamless integration with the iTunes Music Store and the iTunes digital music jukebox, iPod nano includes Apple's patent pending Auto-Sync technology that automatically downloads a user's digital music collection, photos or Podcasts onto iPod nano and keeps it up-to-date whenever iPod nano is plugged into a Mac or Windows computer using USB 2.0. With its stunning, high-resolution color screen, iPod nano allows users to display album art while playing music, view photo slideshows or play games in full color. iPod nano features up to 14 hours battery life and completely skip-free playback, as well as new stopwatch, world clock and screen lock applications.

The 4GB and 2GB white and black models of iPod nano for Mac or Windows are available worldwide immediately for a suggested retail price of $249 (US) and $199 (US) respectively, through the Apple Store, Apple's retail stores and Apple Authorized Resellers. All iPod nano models include earbud headphones, a USB 2.0 cable and a CD with iTunes for Mac and Windows computers.

New optional accessories designed for iPod nano with the following suggested retail prices include: Lanyard headphones for $39 (US), armbands in five colors each for $29 (US), dock for $29 (US) and a set of iPod nano Tubes in five different colors for $29 (US) and will be available within the next 30 days.

iPod nano requires a Mac with a USB 2.0 port and Mac OS X version 10.3.4 or later and iTunes 4.9 (or later); or a Windows PC with a USB 2.0 port and Windows 2000, XP Home or Professional (SP2) and iTunes 4.9 (or later).

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/355.html
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in black! Cool
iLife's a Bitch!
aristobrat

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Apple Unveils iPod nano Reply with quote

Quote:
The 4GB and 2GB white and black models of iPod nano for Mac or Windows are available worldwide immediately for a suggested retail price of $249 (US) and $199 (US) respectively, through the Apple Store, Apple's retail stores and Apple Authorized Resellers.

Ugh.

I wish "Apple Authorized Resellers" in this area (read: Best Buy, CompUSA and Circuit City) would get this stuff the day it launches. Rolling Eyes Very Happy
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The iPod nano looks way cool. However, I am a little disappointed with the capacities and headphone jack location.
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Apple Unveils iPod nano Reply with quote

aristobrat wrote:

I wish "Apple Authorized Resellers" in this area (read: Best Buy, CompUSA and Circuit City) would get this stuff the day it launches. Rolling Eyes Very Happy

That would be nice, but Apple would never be able to keep a secret that way.
iLife's a Bitch!
mojofrojo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it will not come with a firewire cable? you think they will have that option in the future?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mojofrojo wrote:
So it will not come with a firewire cable? you think they will have that option in the future?

Don't expect one from Apple.
mojofrojo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh well... time to buy a new hub anyway.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
aquaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't you use one of these?

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/dock400/index.php
mojofrojo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

was hoping ot not have to buy an extra cable I'm not gonna use. but hey. whatever.
chinarut

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Apple Unveils iPod nano Reply with quote

[quote="aristobrat"]
Quote:

Did you get an ETA from anybody? I was thnkin bout pickin mine up from Circuit City myself (remotely that is Smile
aristobrat

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No ETA at my local Best Buy or Circuit City.

As for those stores not having it in stock on launch day because they'd leak the secret early, ... good point. Would it be too hard for Apple to come up with boxes that explode if opened before the announcement? Or to schedule deliveries to all of the Best Buys and Circuit Cities the day of the announcement, Willie Wonka style? Wink
slickrick

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

curt wrote:
headphone jack location.

That could be a little awkward. I think they got too caught up with people wearing them with a lanyard. I really like the rest of the design and can't believe how thin it is. Any chance Apple comes out with the Mac nano, a smaller version of the Mac mini? Laughing
aristobrat

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure the bottom headset jack is going to be an issue for me.

If the nano works out like my current iPod, it'll spend a lot of time in my pocket and on my desk.

This means when I slide it out of my pocket, I'll be able to read the screen without having to flip the unit around quickly.

As for my desk, with my current iPod, usually after moving around a bit, it ends up with the headset jack pointing towards me anyways, which means the screen is upside down. With the nano, the advantage will be that the screen will be right-side up.

We'll see. Smile
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aristobrat wrote:
I'm not sure the bottom headset jack is going to be an issue for me.

If the nano works out like my current iPod, it'll spend a lot of time in my pocket and on my desk.

This means when I slide it out of my pocket, I'll be able to read the screen without having to flip the unit around quickly.

As for my desk, with my current iPod, usually after moving around a bit, it ends up with the headset jack pointing towards me anyways, which means the screen is upside down. With the nano, the advantage will be that the screen will be right-side up.

We'll see. Smile

On the bright side: Having the jack on the bottom will give it a clean look when it's in the dock. You can plug your headphones into the back to the dock and it will be out of sight. No more cables running down the screen and body. On the down side: This is going to look real clumsy with some accessories. I'm thinking about things like the iTrip in particular.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: