123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Has anyone......?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Networking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:18 pm    Post subject: Has anyone......? Reply with quote

I'm trying to think of a way to use the internet via wireless while using a network for my room. I was thinking of using a router and have a wireless bridge supply the internet connection so that I would be able to have internet on PC's that don't have wireless. Have any of you done it or know if it will work.

"When history is forgotten people don't realize when it repeats."

Going to Missouri S&T!!
miniconvert

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you rephrase that at all? I sounds to me like you want to share internet access through your mini and your mini would be connected to a wireless router. Is that right?
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:39 pm    Post subject: well Reply with quote

It would involve a wireless bridge hooked to a router in my room to supply my wirelessless(?) machines (mostly old PC's running Linux) with internet and have them networked to share files, after looking into it though it seems to be a bit pricey.

Going to Missouri S&T!!
quade1492

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume you are opposed to just purchasing a good wireless router? Because that sounds like a wireless router would suit your needs and wouldn't set you back more than ~$150.

Or are there other goals you were trying to reach?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have old machines without wireless (an old P3 Linux box and a G3 Power Mac), so I've been trying to figure out a way to get internet to them either through my other machines. I've been thinking though since I found an old 4-port Netgear hub that I was wondering if there would be a way to share the internet connection throught the RJ-45 on another computer to the hub then to the other machines.

Going to Missouri S&T!!
Retrogamer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is your internet entry point? You mention you have wireless at your location. Does that come from a wireless router somewhere in your location or are you leeching off somebody else's signal? If you have a wireless router at your location you could buy a couple of powerline ethernet adapters and feed the ethernet segment to your other room with it, then connect your switch and 4 other computers to it and you have yourself connectivity.
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Retrogamer wrote:
What is your internet entry point? You mention you have wireless at your location. Does that come from a wireless router somewhere in your location or are you leeching off somebody else's signal? If you have a wireless router at your location you could buy a couple of powerline ethernet adapters and feed the ethernet segment to your other room with it, then connect your switch and 4 other computers to it and you have yourself connectivity.

It's my connection I'm using, but I've looked at powerline networking and haven't seen it in action and don't know anyone who does use it.

Going to Missouri S&T!!
Retrogamer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Powerline ethernet works great. There are some issues if the power grid in your house is split amongs several segments, but this occurrs only if fairly large houses. If you have the option of returning them if they don't work in your setting (so far I've only seen 1 ocassion where it has not worked correctly in over 50 scenarios), I'd say it's worth a try. I'm currently using a pair in my house to extend the wired ethernet to a closed circuit DVR Recorder. Wireless bridges should be your last option, and it can get costly as you would need two wireless routers that can act as bridges in order for it to work right. The other way of course, is to run an ethernet cable from where your internet is sourced to the room with the 4 pc's.
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:04 am    Post subject: Okay Reply with quote

What powerline adapters have you used? Also, what happens if there is a power surge and can it be used on a surge protector?

Going to Missouri S&T!!
Retrogamer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The use on a surge protector is variable at best, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I use mine directly connected to the wall, then I protect my equipment by using surge protection on the ethernet segment coming out of the powerline equipment. The surge supressors I use for equipment have Ethernet protection on them. I personally use these
http://www.netgear.com/Products/PowerlineNetworking/PowerlineEthernetAdapters/XAVB101.aspx
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:46 pm    Post subject: hmm Reply with quote

I think I'll just get the ZyXEL PL-100 kit, it's cheap and does what I need. Have you ever mixed different versions or brands though?

Going to Missouri S&T!!
Retrogamer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never mixed brand versions. They are supposed to be standards based (Homeplug 1.0 standard), but I've always gone with netgear on it.
optikinescant

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like you're overthinking this no? Most wireless routers have 4-8 Ethernet ports, that should work just fine with your older, non-wireless PCs and peripherals. Plug your internet connection into the WAN port, plug your PCs into the ethernet jacks, and set up your wireless settings for any wireless devices and voila. simple enough, no?
Retrogamer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

His internet entry point is far away from the room with the other PC's and running a cat5 cable seems to be out of the question, that's why I suggested powerline ethernet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Networking All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: