123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

replacing mini with iBook

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Notebooks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 2:08 pm    Post subject: replacing mini with iBook Reply with quote

I am thinking about replacing one of my mini's with an iBook. With the mini having a laptop hard drive and a lesser graphics chipset than the iBook, it doesn't make too much sense to me to add an iBook to the mix when I could simply replace the mini with an iBook. Have, basically, the same (if not better) performance and be mobile as well.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
meow

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: replacing mini with iBook Reply with quote

mavherzog wrote:
I am thinking about replacing one of my mini's with an iBook. With the mini having a laptop hard drive and a lesser graphics chipset than the iBook, it doesn't make too much sense to me to add an iBook to the mix when I could simply replace the mini with an iBook. Have, basically, the same (if not better) performance and be mobile as well.

I wouldn't mind having two Mac mini's. It was a tough call for me between the iBook and Mac mini. I just don't like the iBook's all white look and the Powerbook is too expensive. Another thing that turned me off is how mushy the iBook's keyboard feels. You should really test one before buying. The keys don't have a good feel and the keyboard sinks a little.

Last edited by meow on Tue Sep 06, 2005 3:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: replacing mini with iBook Reply with quote

meow wrote:
I wouldn't mind having two Mac mini's. It was a tough call for me between the iBook and Mac mini. I just don't like the iBook's all white look and the Powerbook is too expensive. Another thing that turned me off is how mushy the iBooks keyboard feels. You should really test one before buying. The keys don't have a good feel and the keyboard sinks a little.

I'll certainly keep that in mind and test one out. I am changing jobs and will have to turn in my current laptop when I do (and will not be issued one at me new job)...so I will definitely need to purchase SOMETHING portable.

I DO have two other Mac minis, so it is not like I would be abandoning you guys. Smile
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
meow

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have three Mac mini's! Shocked
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

meow wrote:

3 Mac mini's and one 17" iMac (G5).
meow

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JC. Are you related to Steve Jobs or something? Why don't you just get a PowerBook. Laughing

All kidding aside, the PowerBook's keyboard feels like a rock compared to the iBook.
Ranter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drove 55 miles over the weekend to the nearest store that stocks Apple computers.

I wanted to ferkle about with a 12" PowerBook. Much to my chagrin they were sold out, although they did have 15" PowerBooks. Too big for my taste.

I also looked at an iBook, but the display seemed rather dim to me. I was reminded of an Averatec notebook I bought once, a really low end notebook, but at least at a low end price.

Next week I'll be in the SF Bay area, half a block from Apple. Maybe I'll go to an Apple store.

Weapons are the tools of violence; all decent men detest them.
Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching
LouieMacGoo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mavherzog wrote:
meow wrote:

Don't let him kid you! The iMac is his wife's!!!! Wink
G3 iMac DV 400mhz 512mg RAM 40gb HD, SuperDrive
Follow me http://twitter.com/louiemacgoo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My iMac is my wife! Wink But we are getting a divorce. I'm thinking about selling her on eBay and using the money towards an Intel PowerBook.
iLife's a Bitch!
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LouieMacGoo wrote:
mavherzog wrote:
meow wrote:

Don't let him kid you! The iMac is his wife's!!!! Wink

All computers in the house belong to me. I just assign them to different people. Very Happy
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I think I've decided to get a 12" iBook. MacMall has a great RAM upgrade rebate going on right now, so I think I will be making the plunge in a week or two. I'll probably swap the 40GB in the iBook with the 80GB in my mini and then look to sell the mini (which will then be 1.42GHz/40GB/1GB/SuperDrive). So, if anyone is looking for a good deal on a used mini, let me know! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Notebooks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: