123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Successful dual monitor installation with Mac Mini
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bryan9

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:49 pm    Post subject: Successful dual monitor installation with Mac Mini Reply with quote

I've successfully set up a dual-monitor system with a Mac Mini, despite the fact that it has only one video output.

My main display is a 24" Dell. The dual-monitor support is provided by an inexpensive USB adapter, the EVGA Plus - see http://www.evga.com/articles/409.asp . Go to Display Link to download the beta Mac OS support -- see http://www.displaylink.com/mac_beta_drivers.html. The USB video driver correctly detected my 19" Samsung monitor and handles it surprisingly well at 1280 x 1024 resolution, but you can't use it for anything that requires acceleration (like an iPhoto slide show). Display Link says it's working on this. But I don't care -- I use the second monitor mainly to display static data in Web pages, PDFs, or databases while I'm working in the main display. For this type of data, the USB display is not noticeably slower than the main display -- you'd think you had a second video card installed. So this solution is perfect for me, as it is. The USB-driven display is completely independent, although you can enable mirroring if you wish. The addition of the USB display driver seems to make no appreciable demand on the Mini's processor, which makes sense given the data transfer speed limitations of USB 2.0. In System Preferences, it looks like you have a "real" dual monitor display, with resolution and color options available separately for each monitor. I would not recommend this approach to anyone who wants to display slide shows, watch videos, or play games in the USB-driven monitor.
Maxime

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No picture?
fhall1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes....c'mon....we need pics!
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were a gambling man, I'd wager good money that the OP is spam.
imola.zhp

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ x2

Look at the post count...

Current
32g iPhone4; 13" MBP 2.4/4g Ram/250g hd; 1TB TC; 2 ATV2's; Airport Express

Previous
8g iPhone Edge; 32g iPhone 3gS
8g iPod Nano (2nd); 16g iPod Nano (6th)
Mini 2.0/4g Ram/120g hd
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad Crying or Very sad I was excited for a moment Smile
DonMateo51

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that's spam it's a very well written spam post, I must say. Smile
iPod - 5th gen, 30GB, black
bryan9

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:42 pm    Post subject: Take heart, O ye of little faith! Reply with quote

Here are some pics. Crappy, but they do get the point across.

My Mac Mini setup, with dual monitors:

http://lh5.ggpht.com/BPfaffenberger/SGV5A7lA2QI/AAAAAAAABMI/CBuR4m3uGRA/IMG_0144.JPG?imgmax=800

The EVGA+ USB display unit - a tiny little thing - driven by Mac OS beta drivers from Display Link:

http://lh3.ggpht.com/BPfaffenberger/SGV49qpHuQI/AAAAAAAABME/b9wo9TZPJdE/IMG_0143.JPG?imgmax=800

Glad to answer questions.
Best wishes,
Bryan
DonMateo51

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:55 am    Post subject: Re: Take heart, O ye of little faith! Reply with quote

bryan9 wrote:

http://lh5.ggpht.com/BPfaffenberger/SGV5A7lA2QI/AAAAAAAABMI/CBuR4m3uGRA/IMG_0144.JPG?imgmax=800

The EVGA+ USB display unit - a tiny little thing - driven by Mac OS beta drivers from Display Link:

http://lh3.ggpht.com/BPfaffenberger/SGV49qpHuQI/AAAAAAAABME/b9wo9TZPJdE/IMG_0143.JPG?imgmax=800

Best wishes,
Bryan

Cool, so you're not spam? By the way does that MacBook Air superdrive work with the mini?
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:19 am    Post subject: Re: Take heart, O ye of little faith! Reply with quote

DonMateo51 wrote:
bryan9 wrote:

Best wishes,
Bryan

Cool, so you're not spam? By the way does that MacBook Air superdrive work with the mini?

No, no other computers are made to power it since it's proprietary protocol for delivering 1.5A, which is 3 times normal USB spec.

"When history is forgotten people don't realize when it repeats."

Going to Missouri S&T!!
DonMateo51

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: Take heart, O ye of little faith! Reply with quote

dungeon92 wrote:
DonMateo51 wrote:
bryan9 wrote:

Best wishes,
Bryan

No, no other computers are made to power it since it's proprietary protocol for delivering 1.5A, which is 3 times normal USB spec.

Yeah thought so, but he has one on top of his mini so what's he using it for?
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnnyBoy wrote:

Hmmm. Looks like I'd have lost my money! Embarassed Very Happy

Sorry, Bryan9. We recently had a spate of posts from new 'members' with a single post count. These posts would ask questions or give answers that strongly recommended a particular product - often designed to run on Windows.

Anyway, my mistake and welcome to the forum! Smile
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnnyBoy wrote:
JohnnyBoy wrote:

Hmmm. Looks like I'd have lost my money! Embarassed Very Happy

Sorry, Bryan9. We recently had a spate of posts from new 'members' with a single post count. These posts would ask questions or give answers that strongly recommended a particular product - often designed to run on Windows.

Anyway, my mistake and welcome to the forum! Smile

I would have lost the same bet, the detail he went into was really good with links, but the lack of a posted email address was the only thing really seperating it from spam Laughing .

"When history is forgotten people don't realize when it repeats."

Going to Missouri S&T!!
bryan9

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need to apologize! But I really am not a spammer. Actually, I'm a university professor.

To answer a question in an earlier post, yes, that's the Superdrive from my Macbook Air on top of the stack. However, I haven't tested it yet. I can't see why it wouldn't work, though.

One other aspect of my setup that I'd like to recommend to others is the Griffen Firewave - see

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/firewave

It's designed to enable MacBook and Mac Mini users to make use of existing analog 5.1 surround systems. I had spent quite a lot of money on my Dell 5.1 system, so finding out about this unit was great. Plus, it's being discontinued, so Griffin has cut the price from $99 to $29.

I have tested this, and I'd say the results are mixed. I'm sure there are lots of superior sound solutions. But for anyone wanting to hang on to an existing analog 5.1 surround system, you can hardly go wrong for $29.

Best wishes
Bryan
ADent

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get the MacBookAir Superdrive to work with a mini, but it requires an extra part and some soldering.

http://tnkgrl.wordpress.com/2008/06/24/macbook-air-superdrive-for-all/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: