123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Previews Mac OS X Snow Leopard
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so far from what i have read on apple's web page it will support dual processors it will fully support 64 bit it will use a new graphic subsystem called opencl but what scares me the most is will it be powerpc complient or not.
Chris..S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnnyBoy wrote:
Wow, Snow Leopard Server will use the ZFS file system...
http://www.apple.com/server/macosx/snowleopard/

I think its more, "Bum, Snow Leopard (std) won't use ZFS."
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris..S wrote:

Well, I haven't seen that categorically stated - but even if it were true for Snow Leopard, it does show the direction that Apple is taking OS X. So, maybe 10.7 will give us a new file system?
Chris..S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnnyBoy wrote:
Chris..S wrote:

Well, I haven't seen that categorically stated - but even if it were true for Snow Leopard, it does show the direction that Apple is taking OS X. So, maybe 10.7 will give us a new file system?

To be fair ZFS really shines as a server file system, especially in a multi-disk systems. For desktops/single disk systems, its features aren't particularly special. However, for developers its handy to have access to the same FS used on servesr and you would think supporting one FS across both desktop and server OS's would be worth the effort.
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris..S wrote:
To be fair ZFS really shines as a server file system, especially in a multi-disk systems. For desktops/single disk systems, its features aren't particularly special. However, for developers its handy to have access to the same FS used on servesr and you would think supporting one FS across both desktop and server OS's would be worth the effort.

True, and another poster here (Aquafire, I think) pointed out that the current Mac file system has been around for a comparatively long time.
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I'm getting excited about Snow Leopard.

Not only is it very likely that PPC support will be dropped, but Apple are taking code that is duplicated within many apps and putting it into a central repository accessible to all apps. The result is that common apps are reduced by some pretty incredible percentages:

(MacUser article here and Roughly Drafted article here)

This will certainly make Snow Leopard much less greedy for memory, but could it result in a faster system? Much faster? Twisted Evil
Chris..S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnnyBoy wrote:
This will certainly make Snow Leopard much less greedy for memory, but could it result in a faster system? Much faster? Twisted Evil

Will it?

This is moving stuff from one part of the OS to another part. The strings used to be part of the app directories, they'll now be somewhere else. In so much as some strings are common to more than one application there will be some disk space savings. I don't see that it will speed things up - given that there is probably now an extra layer to go through to access the strings it might slow them down!
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris..S wrote:
Will it?

I don't know Chris, I was just asking the question Very Happy Razz

Chris..S wrote:
This is moving stuff from one part of the OS to another part. The strings used to be part of the app directories, they'll now be somewhere else. In so much as some strings are common to more than one application there will be some disk space savings. I don't see that it will speed things up - given that there is probably now an extra layer to go through to access the strings it might slow them down!

Ah, but if I click the 'System Memory' tab within Activity Monitor, there's a blue slice of the pie chart called 'Inactive' - data that's been called up from the HD and used, but not deleted in case it's needed again. Now if Snow Leopard keeps data in memory that can be used by many apps, then surely the number of HD reads will fall (won't they? Confused ). So maybe that's one way that Snow Leopard will have a speed advantage over Leopard.

Or maybe I'm just talking a load of over-optimistic crap. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: