123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Will you pick up the 3G iPhone?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Member Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Gettign an iPhone now it's in 3G
Yes, what I was waiting for!
34%
 34%  [ 11 ]
Already got one.
15%
 15%  [ 5 ]
Not getting one.
50%
 50%  [ 16 ]
What's an iPhone and what's 3G?
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 32

dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:01 pm    Post subject: Will you pick up the 3G iPhone? Reply with quote

Well since some people were waiting for a 3G iPhone before buying (like myself) I was wondering who all would be buying one? Right now I need to get a job to get the money and then to pay the extra a month for the iPhone line.

"When history is forgotten people don't realize when it repeats."

Going to Missouri S&T!!
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given the costs of the new iPhone vs the Touch, I think I will be buying the iPhone now rather than a Touch.

I can't afford the £35/month contract though and as the third party apps need iTunes it might mean the phone has to be registered to get the full use out of it. So I'm going to sit back for a while and see how this pans out.

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are going to be a lot of people who want the iPhone without a phone contract. It will be interesting to see how the pricing will fit in without a contract vs. the iPod touch.

It will be sad if it loses functionality without phone service.
kez

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the current iPhone and like it very much. I'm not in a rush to upgrade it since I don't want to have to sign an extended contract with AT&T (didn't have to do it with the first one since I was already an AT&T subscriber).

I will be graduating from graduate school in approx. 11 mos. so I need my contract to be free from any handcuffs in the case my employer recommends/uses something else.
barnz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kez wrote:
I have the current iPhone and like it very much. I'm not in a rush to upgrade it since I don't want to have to sign an extended contract with AT&T (didn't have to do it with the first one since I was already an AT&T subscriber).

I will be graduating from graduate school in approx. 11 mos. so I need my contract to be free from any handcuffs in the case my employer recommends/uses something else.

My contract with Verizon expired in January, and I've been waiting for this to make the switch. Not sure where the money will come from - guess I need to sell some records or some hi-fi gear!
Weee
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think AT&T's price hike just took me out of the game. Sad
NadiaGeek

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta wonder why Apple doesn't lease the phones to all cell phone companies who want the phone. That's what LG, Nokia, etc. do.

Either way, I don't have much use for an iPhone. I carry my laptop with me most places, and if not, I have a phone that can browse the Internet and play MP3s. It only cost me $100, too.

iMac G3

1GB iPod Shuffle

2GB iPod Nano

Too Many PCs to Name

hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am certainly getting the iPhone 3G. My wife will get my current iPhone (her idea!). I know, for some, the cost of the iPhone and/or the AT&T plans are a bit much and even some don't use/want .Mac service. Yesterday was a HUGE deal for me though!

Having .Mac turned into MobileMe and the new faster, cheaper iPhone WITH GPS is going to keep me happy. (for about 6 months! LOL) I'm a big .Mac user. I use it for all sorts of stuff and $ to GB, it pretty cheap and getting cheaper as Apple is doubling the storage again! For me, it's the symmetry of it all. I know there are other solutions (i.e. other phones, online services etc.) but, I've come to enjoy the simplicity and seamless integration Apple provides with their products/services.

I can't wait for July 11th!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
barnz

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weee wrote:
I think AT&T's price hike just took me out of the game. Sad

Wait, WHAT price hike?
Yesterday it looked affordable, today, there's no info about service plans related to iPhones.... Confused
ghostdawg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I read something that ATT will charge about $30 for all you can eat data plan, plus the normal monthly service charge, probably starting around 39.95 per month.
Pleiades
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's been floating around the news sites is that the 3G iPhone will require a $30 a month data plan on top of whatever voice plan you choose. This compares to the previous generation iPhone which only required a $20/month data plan.

There's lots of complaining all over the place that the $10/month spread out over the 2 year contract adds $240 to the price of the phone (vs. the previous gen iPhone + contract), which makes the new iPhone more expensive than the previous generation. I concur, it does make it more expensive, but I think the benefits of 3G data and GPS are worth the extra $40 over two years to me.
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ClunkClunk wrote:
I concur, it does make it more expensive, but I think the benefits of 3G data and GPS are worth the extra $40 over two years to me.

I feel the same way. It all really equals out in the end. Plus, there's really nothing you can do about it. It would take a massive boycott or pressure from Apple to get them to lower it.
frankdawsonjr

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fact that At&t wont allow prepaid plans with the 3g phone takes me out of the 3g game. and i am really upset about it! its like our money is somehow no good. the extra 10 dollars for 3g data wouldnt have been that big of a deal even though i don't live in a g3 area, but they don't want my money anyway it seems. I love my iPhone and have been a loyal At&T customer and as long as i have my iphone i will be, but what happens if it breaks an i need to replace it? they won't give me a contract, and i can't afford 1000 dollars security deposit! At&t You really need to review all of this and not leave loyal customers out in the cold!

off my soap box now, sorry everyone!
WheelSpinners
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm beginning to think that's why Apple lowered the price of the iPhone. They knew AT&T was going to jack up the price. I mean, when else has there been such a dramatic price drop with an Apple product? This was a way for them to fight off bad PR. They'll probably make up the difference and then some with App Store sales anyways.
trustory
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm getting one, it seems there is a lot of people excited by the iPhone hardware update on 123MM.
iPhone 4 Black 16GB
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Member Polls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: