123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

new iphone 3g

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> iPhone, iPod touch and iPad
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
nickh2
Member
Member


Joined: 28 Jan 2008
Posts: 175
Location: Winnipeg

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:47 pm    Post subject: new iphone 3g Reply with quote

so the new iphone was released today, i was wondering if any of you would pick it up?
the most attractive part of it to me is the price, i mean 199 for an 8gb and 299 for 16, thats amazing. with that strategy i think apple will sell more iphones because most people dont wanna pay 400 fro a phone, but 200 is do able.
considering the new iphone 8gb is 199 i wonder how much old ones are gonna be going for on ebay soon, because it would be ridiculous if you could pick up the previous gen for under 200, and if that happens i might go with that route rather than buying a new one.
_________________
powerbook g4 15" 1.5ghz backlit keyboard, 80gb 768mb
17" Imac g4 1ghz 80gb 512 ram
ipod classic 80gb
Iphone 8gb
Red Ipod nano 4th gen 4gb
CHECK IT OUT
great file hosting/sharing site www.host-a.net
Ipod Master
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
helicoil
Member
Member


Joined: 26 May 2006
Posts: 224
Location: Essex, UK

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm nearly tempted...
A couple of reasons that put me off:

I'd quite like to stick with my current payg provider- Orange

I don't want to get mugged into an 18 month contract for at least £30 a month when I don't really spend more than a tenner a month.
_________________
Les Paul Traditional
Fender Std Stratocaster (USA)
Marshall DSL5C
Orange Micro Terror
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mr.187
Member
Member


Joined: 08 Mar 2006
Posts: 240
Location: Nottingham, UK

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

o2 have just text me and offered the new 8GB for free, but I've got the 16gb at the mo.
_________________
Current: 20" iMac 2.4GHZ 2GB RAM 500GB HDD 10.6 using a 1TB Time Capsule, 2.4GHZ Macbook and 2G 16GB iPhone.

Had: Core Duo Mac Mini, 30GB Video iPod,ATV and the Apple Hi-Fi.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
familiarstranger
New Member
New Member


Joined: 10 Jun 2008
Posts: 8
Location: Cali

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the Iphone is wifi compatible for data transfers, but is it dual mode compatible so that I can use T-mobile's WIFI at home?
Thanks in advance,
Bryan
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
imola.zhp
Senior Member
Senior Member


Joined: 29 Feb 2008
Posts: 312
Location: Mud Island, TN

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Technically, it was announced. They will not be available until July 11th...

I'll get one on State Farm's tab as my EDGE 8gig has a cracked outter screen...
_________________
--Marcus

Current
32g iPhone4; 13" MBP 2.4/4g Ram/250g hd; 1TB TC; 2 ATV2's; Airport Express

Previous
8g iPhone Edge; 32g iPhone 3gS
8g iPod Nano (2nd); 16g iPod Nano (6th)
Mini 2.0/4g Ram/120g hd
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jensonb
Member
Member


Joined: 28 May 2008
Posts: 60

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

O2 have confirmed Pay/Go, so I'm getting one. Just waiting on the details of the Pay/Go release.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
ESUNintel
Senior Member
Senior Member


Joined: 18 May 2008
Posts: 490
Location: Colorado

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came past this article on Cnet:

http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-9717097-1.html?tag=bubbl_1

...but it does a better job at confusing I guess that helping. I thought anyone could buy the 3G iPhone for $199-$299; but apparently it'll be only for those signing a 2 year AT&T contract. I'm already an AT&T customer, but I'm not eligible for an upgrade yet, so does that mean those of us in that situation will not be able to get the 3G iPhone at the new, lower, price?

Also, wouldn't their new process for activation cause a line that's going to be waiting for hours in front of an Apple/AT&T store? ...or will it keep many from getting the new iPhone, making it easier for those that really want it?

If anyone knows, or has some info it be greatly appreciated. Thanks Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Jensonb
Member
Member


Joined: 28 May 2008
Posts: 60

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ESUNintel wrote:
I came past this article on Cnet:

http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-9717097-1.html?tag=bubbl_1

...but it does a better job at confusing I guess that helping. I thought anyone could buy the 3G iPhone for $199-$299; but apparently it'll be only for those signing a 2 year AT&T contract. I'm already an AT&T customer, but I'm not eligible for an upgrade yet, so does that mean those of us in that situation will not be able to get the 3G iPhone at the new, lower, price?

Also, wouldn't their new process for activation cause a line that's going to be waiting for hours in front of an Apple/AT&T store? ...or will it keep many from getting the new iPhone, making it easier for those that really want it?

If anyone knows, or has some info it be greatly appreciated. Thanks Smile

No, you get the iPhone for $199 or $299 and your contract restarts (So it ends 2 years from activation on the iPhone 3G). The upgrade of which you speak (The one you're not yet eligible for) would, I believe net a free or even more discounted iPhone 3G
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
doups333
New Member
New Member


Joined: 16 Jun 2008
Posts: 1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:42 pm    Post subject: Lines? Reply with quote

How long do you think the lines will be to get the Iphone?

I can't wait.
_________________
Nate
www.tradeshowhandbook.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Jensonb
Member
Member


Joined: 28 May 2008
Posts: 60

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jensonb wrote:
ESUNintel wrote:
I came past this article on Cnet:

http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-9717097-1.html?tag=bubbl_1

...but it does a better job at confusing I guess that helping. I thought anyone could buy the 3G iPhone for $199-$299; but apparently it'll be only for those signing a 2 year AT&T contract. I'm already an AT&T customer, but I'm not eligible for an upgrade yet, so does that mean those of us in that situation will not be able to get the 3G iPhone at the new, lower, price?

Also, wouldn't their new process for activation cause a line that's going to be waiting for hours in front of an Apple/AT&T store? ...or will it keep many from getting the new iPhone, making it easier for those that really want it?

If anyone knows, or has some info it be greatly appreciated. Thanks Smile

No, you get the iPhone for $199 or $299 and your contract restarts (So it ends 2 years from activation on the iPhone 3G). The upgrade of which you speak (The one you're not yet eligible for) would, I believe net a free or even more discounted iPhone 3G
Wow, I just found out I was misinformed. AT&T really are going to charge existing customers without iPhones more unless they qualify for an upgrade.

Own goal AT&T. Own goal.
_________________
Mac mini Core2 Duo 1.83 GHz (1GB RAM/80GB HDD) with EyeTV for DTT and 750GB Maxtor External HDD
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
ESUNintel
Senior Member
Senior Member


Joined: 18 May 2008
Posts: 490
Location: Colorado

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jensonb wrote:
Wow, I just found out I was misinformed. AT&T really are going to charge existing customers without iPhones more unless they qualify for an upgrade.

Own goal AT&T. Own goal.


Actually I e-mailed them, and this is what Julee from customer care replied... (I blanked out my name)

Dear Mr. P___,

Thank you for contacting the new AT&T regarding upgrading to the new
iPhone 3G device and if you qualify for it. We understand the urgency of
resolving this quickly for you, and I will be happy to assist you with
this.

AT&T and Apple announced that the iPhone 3G will be available in the US
on July 11. 2008. iPhone 3G combines three products into one small,
lightweight device: a revolutionary mobile phone, a widescreen iPod, and
it puts the Internet in your pocket with the best email, web browsing,
search and Maps applications ever on a mobile phone.

There will be 2 iPhone 3G models available. The models available are the
8 gigabytes and 16 gigabytes. The 8 gigabyte will be $199 and the 16
gigabyte model will be $299. All customers will be required to sign a 2
year agreement. When the 3G device launches, all active postpaid
customers in good standing with a 2G iPhone will be eligible to receive
the qualified upgrade pricing for a 3G device regardless of service
tenure. You will be billed a one time upgrade fee of $18.00.

The new version of the iPhone harnesses the power of AT&T's broad and
powerful 3G mobile broadband network, which offers 3G mobile phones
download speeds of up to 1.4 Mbps.

All iPhone 3G customers are required to have one of the new data plans
and qualifying voice plan. Customers intending to use the 3G iPhone for
access to corporate email, business applications or access to corporate
intranet are required to activate with Enterprise Data Plan for iPhone.

The 2G data rate plans will remain available for 2G devices until
further notice. Data pricing will be as follows:

Consumer Data Plan (must be added to qualified Voice plan):
$30 - Unlimited Data (Email/Web), includes Visual Voicemail

Enterprise Data Plan (must be added to qualified Voice plan):
$45 - Unlimited Data with personal and Corporate Email, Web, includes
Visual Voicemail

You can find out more information at www.att.com/iPhone. You can also
locate this information at www.att.com/wireless and select iPhone 3G on
the right had side of webpage right below my shopping cart.

AT&T Company owned stores and Apple stores are the only sales channels
that will sell the iPhone 3G at launch. The iPhone 3G will not be
available at att.com, apple.com, and sales, Local Dealers, National
Retailers or National Dealers.

The link to our Store Locator is http://www.wireless.att.com/find-a-store/.
You can also access the store locator online at the AT&T website at
www.att.com/wireless by selecting the Find a Store link on the upper
right hand corner of the screen.

The link to Apple's store locator is http://www.apple.com/buy/locator/.
You can also access Apple's store locator online from Apple's website at
www.apple.com by typing in store locator in the search option.

I hope we were able to resolve any issues and answer any questions you
had. Should you need to contact us again, please don't hesitate to send
us another email or call us at 1-800-331-0500 from any landline phone or
611 from your AT&T Wireless phone. The hours of operations are Monday
through Friday 7:00 am to 9:00 pm, Saturday 9:00 am to 6:00 pm and
Closed on Sunday.

Mr. Pe___, I see that you have had your AT&T account open since
10/25/07. We definitely appreciate you choosing us as your wireless
carrier! I hope that you are enjoying your service thus far and hope
that you continue to enjoy the great service AT&T is committed to
provide.

We are here to assist you. I encourage you to visit us at
www.att.com/wireless often to view your monthly account statements, make
payments and shop for new products and services. We greatly appreciate
the opportunity to serve you. Please let us know if we can assist you in
any other way, and thank you for choosing the new AT&T.


Sincerely,

Julee Gonsoulin
AT&T
Online Customer Care Professional


...so it seems we can upgrade after all, as long as we sign an other 2 year contract. I'm happy with AT&T, so I don't mind.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> iPhone, iPod touch and iPad All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum



      

Shop:  Apple Store  |  Refurbished Macs  |  Refurbished iPads  |  MacConnection  |  Mac Mini Vault  |  Other World Computing

MK 1 Studio Mac mini Racks  |  Crucial Mac Memory  |  Top Free Mac Apps  |  Top Paid Mac Apps



123Macmini.com is an independent publication and has not been authorized, sponsored, or approved by Apple Computer, Inc.
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owners.
Copyright © 2011 123Macmini.com. All Rights Reserved.