123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do you buy much from the online Apple store?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> General Mac Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WheelSpinners
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:15 pm    Post subject: Do you buy much from the online Apple store? Reply with quote

I mean other than Macs, iPods, iPhones and other Apple branded gear. I find their prices to be high on most stuff in comparison to Amazon and Newegg. They never seem to discount or have sales. Most things listed are at the MRSP. Do they have more sales in the stores?
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've avoided them for the reasons you mentioned. Its cheaper to buy things elsewhere.

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
Influx

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto for me. The only time I'll get something that's not Apple branded is if it's something I can throw in with a computer or ipod order to take advantage of the cheaper shipping rates.
Mac user since Aug 27 1956
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't buy much from them outside of those things. I think the last time was during the Black Friday sale. I buy most of my stuff online from Newegg. Best Buy pretty much has me covered in the B&M world.
iLife's a Bitch!
jb
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used the online Apple Canada store quite a bit, and my reasons are almost the reverse of most who have posted here.
In Canada Amazon sells only DVDs and books, NewEgg will not ship to Canada, at least the last time I checked with them, and even brick and mortar Apple stores are almost none existent, to that end, I have no idea what a "Genius Bar" is.
In fact, after re-reading what I just posted, I now realize as a citizen of Canada, I must be somewhat crazy to be an Apple fan.

jb.
WheelSpinners
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a feeling that I wasn't the only one. That being said, they sure have a lot of customer reviews on their website for accessories and software. I guess you don't have buy from them to post though. I wonder why they don't let people post reviews for the big stuff? It would be nice to have reviews for Macs and stuff.
Pleiades
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the last few years, I've only purchased a few refurb machines on the Apple Store. Beyond that, zilch.
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought my Mini and maybe a few iPod accessories I couldn't find at any other local stores, at the Apple store. Other than that, I really only go to "window shop".

With the economy being so bad, Apple will contact you if you save things to your "saved cart". I've been solicited by Apple for the MacBook and various items I was looking at in my saved cart. They even offered a discount if I was willing to make the purchase.
NadiaGeek

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought my Mac and iPod from them. I bought AGE of Empires II and a 4GB Flashdrive from them, too, but only because I had a $75 gift card that needed to be used. Normally, though, I wouldn't dare pay the price for the 4GB drive they were selling it for Could have got it cheaper on Newegg. I go to apple.com all the time, though, usually just to see what they have. Plus, their web site is pretty cool, I feel.

iMac G3

1GB iPod Shuffle

2GB iPod Nano

Too Many PCs to Name

JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was surprised when Apple launched the on-line Apple Store, as were many of the small, independent Apple retailers who had been shifting gear for Apple since the 1980s. That's why I still prefer to give my business to my local Apple retailer but if I wanted a refurb, then I'd use the Apple Store.
ghostdawg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't bought anything since I bought the mini in '05...
barnz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I buy the core items there, b/c I can get a better deal on a refurb, and frankly because trying to get anthing purchased in the local Apple Store (Emeryville, CA) is tremendously frustrating. It's in a crowded shopping mall that's tough to get in and out of, and then there is always a ridiculous line at the counter. I like my instant gratification as much as anyone else, but that strore seems to suck the fun out of my pores. Crying or Very sad Would that it were not so.

So
Yes, I use the Apple online store, as an alternative to the Bricks & Mortar Apple Store for core items.
No. I don't use the Apple online store, other online stores offer better choices and prices for accessories/upgrades.
kyle

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After thinking about it, I didn't even get my Mini from there. The brick and mortar place was offering a rebate... Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> General Mac Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: