123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Older Power PC Mini Needs Wireless

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Networking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dgatanis

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:00 am    Post subject: Older Power PC Mini Needs Wireless Reply with quote

I have 1.25GHz PowerPC Mini I would like to set up for my son in the living room with wireless. It does not have an Airport card installed. I have a G5 MacBook Pro with Time Machine/Airport Hub set up in my bedroom (small NYC apartment). We use Time Warner Cable for Internet access.

I also have an Airport Express module that I have set up on my wireless network. I thought that if I connected the Mini to the Airport Express through the Ethernet jack I would be able to have internet and network access to the Mini. But I can't seem to make it happen.

Any ideas?

Other notes: The Wireless mode on the AE is "Join A Wireless Network". The Wireless mode on the Base Station is "Create a Wireless Network" - I tried the WDS thing but kept getting errors.

Thanks in advance.
tales
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem with my sons cube. I was told:
"As for your network setup, I don't believe that will work. Since the Airport Express needs to be hooked first to your cable or DSL modem, then wirelessly connect to your computers on the network, I don't think the Cube will be able to connect.
In your circumstances, I think your two options would be to either get the USB wireless device working, or replace/augment your Airport Express with a router that has both hard wired and wireless ports."

My cube didn't recognize a airport card made for the cube.
You can buy an airport card MADE for your mini, or a USB wireless adapter that works with a PPC G4. I used the USB wireless its a PITA to set up but does work fine.
Or the router that has both hard wired and wireless ports
dgatanis

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much for the reply, Tales.

After your reply I went to the Apple store to see what their "geniuses" had to say. Looks like you are a genius too! They confirmed your suggestions. I think the older Mini might have to go to the local school as a donation and I'll pick up a newer Airport-ready Mini for my son. Wife will kill me, but big bonus points for Dad.

Thanks again.
Squonk

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dgatanis wrote:
Wife will kill me, but big bonus points for Dad.

Laughing Sorry, can't help it - how many times have I had that same thought going through my head.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Networking All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: