123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mac mini: Memory Specifications [U]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading
View previous topic :: View next topic  
barnz

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ClunkClunk wrote:
the Core 2 Duo Mini can accept 2x2GB modules, though only 3GB will be usable.
Many users have been successful installing 2x2GB for a total of 3GB.

I presume some of us know (but I didn't) about OWC's testing with mismatched pairs. Their conclusion was that getting 3 GB from a mismatched 1 + 2 set was a good thing to do, compared to using a matched set of 2 +2 to get a total of 3.

Quote:
Although the Core 2 Duo Mac mini is limited to 3.0GB addressed, the 4GB Set (2GB x 2 Pair) does appear enable 128 Bit addressing. While there does seem to be a small performance benefit gained with the 4.0GB vs. 3.0GB config, we'd recommend sticking with 3.0GBs max (in Core 2 Duos) unless you absolutely are seeking every last trickle of performance boost possible.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/apple/memory/Mini_Intel_Memory_Benchmarks
Pleiades
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

barnz wrote:
Their conclusion was that getting 3 GB from a mismatched 1 + 2 set was a good thing to do, compared to using a matched set of 2 +2 to get a total of 3.

From reading their conclusion, I interpreted it as the 1+2GB config was "better" simply due to cost. 2+2GB had a performance increase, though very slight, and for most users, it won't offset the price difference.

However when that article was written, the cost difference between the various modules was larger so it made a bigger point to be cost conscious. With today's pricing, that gap diminishes even further.
barnz

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ClunkClunk wrote:

From reading their conclusion, I interpreted it as the 1+2GB config was "better" simply due to cost. 2+2GB had a performance increase, though very slight, and for most users, it won't offset the price difference.

However when that article was written, the cost difference between the various modules was larger so it made a bigger point to be cost conscious. With today's pricing, that gap diminishes even further.

Here is a direct link to their ram configs (on the site it's about 4 or 5 clicks to get there from the benchmark results).
http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/mac_mini/intel

As of this writing, the cost differential is $25. Not a killer, but it will buy me a case of beer, or a record.
Pleiades
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

barnz wrote:
As of this writing, the cost differential is $25. Not a killer, but it will buy me a case of beer, or a record.

Or you could shop it around, and find other vendors that offer RAM a bit cheaper. While OWC is probably the best Mac friendly value retailer, their prices can be a bit higher than others.

Just by shopping around for 5 minutes, I found 18004memory.com has the difference down to $2. $20 for a 1GB module and $42 for a 2GB module.
http://www.18004memory.com/focus.asp?sku=502748
http://www.18004memory.com/focus.asp?sku=502319
barnz

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ClunkClunk wrote:
18004memory.com has the difference down to $2.

I assume that's a typo and you meant $20.
Pleiades
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm.. Either those prices I linked went up in the last few hours, or the site dynamically prices lower if you link from www.dealram.com (appears they do adjust pricing based on the referring site: this link should pull up a $20 module).

Either way, I meant $22, not $2. Thanks for the catch.

The price for 2x1GB is $40, versus $62 for the 1x1GB+1x2GB (compared to OWC's $70 and $95).
maxpowers_68

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:31 pm    Post subject: Didn't want to beat a dead horse and make a new thread but.. Reply with quote

Go easy on me I'm relatively new to this forum (not to computers) although I have looked at it from time to time. It's definitely time to upgrade my memory and was wondering whats the max I could put and can I get some recommendations on what brand.
Thanks in advance.

Mac Mini - 1.66 Core Duo, 80 gb hard drive, 2 gb memory, cd-r/rw dvd-r/rw...
trustory
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Didn't want to beat a dead horse and make a new thread b Reply with quote

maxpowers_68 wrote:
Go easy on me I'm relatively new to this forum (not to computers) although I have looked at it from time to time. It's definitely time to upgrade my memory and was wondering whats the max I could put and can I get some recommendations on what brand.
Thanks in advance.

As you have a Core Duo processor you can install up to 2gb of ram. You can't go far wrong with crucial as you simply choose your Computer from a series of drop down menus so they guarantee compatibility and I think you get a lifetime warranty.
iPhone 4 Black 16GB
maxpowers_68

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Didn't want to beat a dead horse and make a new thread b Reply with quote

trustory wrote:
As you have a Core Duo processor you can install up to 2gb of ram. You can't go far wrong with crucial as you simply choose your Computer from a series of drop down menus so they guarantee compatibility and I think you get a lifetime warranty.

I'm planning to upgrade to a core2duo (if possible) in the future. Would that change the amount to ram I'm able to install?

trustory
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Didn't want to beat a dead horse and make a new thread b Reply with quote

maxpowers_68 wrote:

I'm planning to upgrade to a core2duo (if possible) in the future. Would that change the amount to ram I'm able to install?

I think it is a limitation on the motherboard, the processor has no impact on how much RAM you can install. So a 1.66Ghz Core Duo can accept 2gb and if you upgrade it to a Core 2 Duo you will still be capped at 2gb.
iPhone 4 Black 16GB
maxpowers_68

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Didn't want to beat a dead horse and make a new thread b Reply with quote

trustory wrote:
I think it is a limitation on the motherboard, the processor has no impact on how much RAM you can install. So a 1.66Ghz Core Duo can accept 2gb and if you upgrade it to a Core 2 Duo you will still be capped at 2gb.

Ok so you confirmed what I was thinking, thanks alot.

I4ko

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my Kingston KTA-MB667K2/4G for USD 87 from shopdango.com and now I'm runnig very smooth. It is strange that "About this Mac" shows 4G but system uses 3G. It's 10.5.3, may be they will enable all the 4G in a new release. This could be done actually.
SimpleLife

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone who shared info on this thread.

For a month now I've been running 4GB on my Mac Mini 1.83 GHz Core 2 Duo.

I originally wanted to buy my RAM from OWC (macsales.com) ($100). I had bought from them before and was a happy customer. I sent them an email inquiring if 4GB would work OK with Boot Camp. Unfortunately, they never replied to me at all. I bought from them before, and I liked that they publicized their findings about using 4GB RAM with MacBooks and Mac Minis.

Anyway, I was a bit annoyed by the lack of response to my email. I ended up buying at my local Fry's for $90 with a $30 rebate=$60 Very Happy

Here is a link to a Hi-Res JPEG of the Crucial RAM packaging in case anyone's interested (2.2 MB):

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2yjr9xj&s=3

Here are some links that I used for the "How To Do It" (YouTube is good too).

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=81881

http://soledadpenades.com/2007/11/01/diy-replace-your-intel-mac-minis-hard-disk-drive/

I got 4GB because it was super cheap and to take advantage of the dual channel mumbo jumbo (i think that's what it is sorry for un-techy info).

It does just show as a total of 3 GB in OS X and Boot Camp. I no longer use Boot Camp, but use VMware Fusion, which was the original reason I got the extra RAM in the first place.

Results: 4GB RAM works excellently with 10.5.3, Boot Camp, and VMware Fusion. I toggle between OS X and Windows XP easily.

Very happy. Thank you to everyone, and I hope my info helps others too.

Cheers.
kaidomac
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SimpleLife wrote:
Thanks to everyone who shared info on this thread.

For a month now I've been running 4GB on my Mac Mini 1.83 GHz Core 2 Duo.

I originally wanted to buy my RAM from OWC (macsales.com) ($100). I had bought from them before and was a happy customer. I sent them an email inquiring if 4GB would work OK with Boot Camp. Unfortunately, they never replied to me at all. I bought from them before, and I liked that they publicized their findings about using 4GB RAM with MacBooks and Mac Minis.

Results: 4GB RAM works excellently with 10.5.3, Boot Camp, and VMware Fusion. I toggle between OS X and Windows XP easily.

Very happy. Thank you to everyone, and I hope my info helps others too.

Cheers.

That's too bad about their email service, they're a great company! Having worked in tech support jobs in the past, my advice is that if you can get a live person, do it - that's the best method because then they're on the spot and talking to you live. OWC actually has a Live Chat feature on their site, so if you snag them during their normal business hours you can usually chat with a knowledgable rep and you don't have to phone in (personally I prefer Live Chat because it's easier to send links and cut-and-paste technical terms instead of trying to speak them verbally over the telephone, haha).

When you say that 4GB RAM works excellently with 10.5.3, do you mean that the 2x2GB sticks showing up as 3GB works fine, or does 10.5.3 now recognize the full 4 gigs? I'm assuming it's just working smoothly while recognizing 3GB RAM, but I just want to be sure Twisted Evil
SimpleLife

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With either 4GB or 3GB, the computer per Activity Monitor (not "About this Mac" menu) will only recognize 3GB.

By going with 4GB, there is a very slight performance benefit of having "matched pairs" of memory sticks.

In addition, I already cracked the Mac Mini open. The RAM was dirt cheap at $60 for 4GB, so that's what I put in.

I'm sure there's a technical reason Apple caps the specs at 2GB of RAM. Regardless, with 4GB everything works fine for me so far.

Regarding tech support, email is great. The representative can take their time to find the answer. Oftentimes, when a customer calls in the representative has no clue what is going on , so the customer ends up waiting while the rep looks things up in a database or asks a supervisor, etc.

Email is very convenient. As are forums. No company of any size should just plain old ignore a customer and never respond. That's an instant no-sale. They spend tons of money advertising, but can't even respond to an email. This isn't just about OWC. It's about any company generally.

A really good website for customer service, tech support, and quality issues is http://macintouch.com/.

It's all about community and sharing experiences. That's what makes forums and online sharing so awesome.

Cheers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 7 of 11

Jump to: