123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Local Apple...experience?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> General Mac Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
miniconvert

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:42 am    Post subject: Local Apple...experience? Reply with quote

I can't remember what they called it, but my local Best Buy now has an elaborate Apple section complete with nice wood table to display the machines and a large black wall with TV in it playing some video over and over.

On the table was a 24" iMac, 20" iMac, ACD, two Macbook Pro's, a Macbook Air and a black Macbook.

I MBA is unbelievably thin. I mean, I've seen the pictures but I'm the kind of person that just doesn't get it until I actually see it and hold it. As a person who has grown up enjoying tearing things apart I feel like I generally have a good handle on how much space different components take up. The MBA has a surreal quality to it because it seems to defy logic. How could they possibly make it that thin and light? I found performance to be adequate but note that I only had about 5 minutes to really play with it.

So the MBA is cool but one thing that also really surprised me was the mouse on the iMacs. I had read that these newer Apple mice were pressure sensitive and I thought, "neat." It's such a simple thing, but the fact that the mouse has no seams, no additional buttons and is still capable of recognizing a right click is just great. Gone is the typical "there's just one button?" complaint.

Anyway, I just had to share what most of you probably already know. It was tough to look at all that great hardware and not just buy something on a whim!
kyle

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats cool. I haven't stepped into a Best Buy in forever so I am not sure if the local ones here are selling apple components.
SlipperyRock

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our local Best Buy just put in a Mac kiosk about a month ago. It was also my first chance to see the MBA up close and in person. The funny thing is, they have it locked down in this bracket type thing. It's so darn thin that it slips right out. I have a feeling that thing is going to be gone in like a week. Laughing

Do any of you guys have a local Mom and Pop Mac shop close by? Say like a Smalldog.

Last edited by SlipperyRock on Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:15 am; edited 1 time in total
miniconvert

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never heard of Smalldog but we do have just one or two other smaller shops that fix and/or deal in Apple products.
SlipperyRock

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we have a few, but they are closer to Pittsburgh.
The Pontificator
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in a Best Buy in Summerville, SC earlier this week. No Apple kiosk. However, one 10 miles away does have one (Rivers Ave in N. Charleston).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> General Mac Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: