123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Releases Mac OS X 10.5.3 Update [U]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James T Kirk wrote:
A couple of days ago, I had terrible problems with my Firewire connection, it seemed like there was a defect. Dtrange enough, the following day it was all OK. Now I read about improvement of recognising external discs. Should this be a Firewire fix too? I've updated and I did not see much difference,...yet...

That's hard to say. It would have been nice knowing which chipsets it helped with. Out of curiosity, what kind of drive is it?
iLife's a Bitch!
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnnyBoy wrote:
Mac Help's not working. I don't know what's going on, I'm sure it was working under 10.5.2.

Google was my friend. Found this article, and followed its instructions to ditch username/Library/Caches/com.apple.helpui and then to try using help again. Worked first time. Cool
SlipperyRock

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnnyBoy wrote:
JohnnyBoy wrote:
Mac Help's not working. I don't know what's going on, I'm sure it was working under 10.5.2.

Google was my friend. Found this article, and followed its instructions to ditch username/Library/Caches/com.apple.helpui and then to try using help again. Worked first time. Cool

I actually had that happen to me once and got the answer here. Smile

http://www.123macmini.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2400

I also found out later that OnyX has a feature that will reset Help for you. I would assume that it just deletes the same files. That said, it's a handy application to have in your arsenal. I use it all the time for keeping my mini in shape.
WheelSpinners
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
It happened more on some pages than others, but it happened on most pages; even our venerable CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Company) news and MacNN. It was pretty pathetic. I tried various fixes I read about off the internet, but nothing worked. The problem was on every Mac I have at home; not the ones at my university. My solution was to change to Firefox, which didn't stall.

That does sound strange. Maybe the issue isn't with Safari, it's with your home network, proxy settings or DNS name servers. Then again, Firefox seems to be working perfectly for you.
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly; if it happened with Firefox too, I would know it's something else. Even now, I find some of Safari's behaviour strange on occasion. I am registered on a forum on another site and even as I re-enter my ID and password, it's accepted and then immediately forgotten. Not so in Firefox. In the case of Safari, I thought it might be an old cookie so I removed all cookies relating to the site and then it worked for that session but not the next time I accessed it. Still, I like Safari the best and will now use it all the time except for sites where it hiccups. It's always good to have more than one browser for such occasions.
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SlipperyRock wrote:
I actually had that happen to me once and got the answer here. Smile

http://www.123macmini.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2400

I also found out later that OnyX has a feature that will reset Help for you. I would assume that it just deletes the same files. That said, it's a handy application to have in your arsenal. I use it all the time for keeping my mini in shape.

Thanks for that, SR. I think that I'm also supposed to repair permissions after an update to improve the reliability of the machine.
zen

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The update was 204MB on my C2D mini
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Believe it or not, I just applied 10.5.3 last night. I don't know if Safari is faster, but the performance of Spaces and Exposé feels improved. iPhoto doesn't feel bad either. Now the bad, Mail is hanging on me at launch. Not everytime though. Confused
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

downloaded installed now several pieces of software are causing beach ball effects.

including.

Frostwire

Limewire

garageband

imovie

finder
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Macman, have you tried the usual fixes? e.g. repairing permissions, etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: