123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WD Intros 2.5" Scorpio Black Hard Drives

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:48 am    Post subject: WD Intros 2.5" Scorpio Black Hard Drives Reply with quote

WD Intros 2.5" Scorpio Black Hard Drives
Monday, June 2, 2008
Posted by: Glenn

WD today announced that it's shipping its new line of Scorpio Black 7200 RPM 2.5-inch SATA hard drives with 16MB of cache. According to the company, WD Scorpio Black hard drives are designed with ruggedness, reliability, and data-protection features that actively monitor and protect valuable data. They are available in capacities of 80, 120, 160, 250 and 320GB, and carry a suggested retail price of up to $249 depending on capacity and features.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/961.html
Chris..S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Western Digital finally joins the 7200RPM notebook disk crowd and with a 320Gb disk too. Power requirements are the same as their 5400RPM cousins and although WD doesn't give start up power requirements (unlike Hitachi and Seagate, both ~5W) the quoted 2.5W for read/write means it could run off a single USB port.

Does anyone have any ideas when 500GB 2.5" drives are forecast to turn up?
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All these new high capacity notebook drive entries must be the reason why you can now get the 200gb 7200rpm drives from Hitachi and Seagate at bargain basement prices (under $120). I'm tempted to buy the Hitachi while it's on $30 rebate special (OtherWorld Computing), but I still have 40gb left on my Seagate 7200.2 (120gb).
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris..S wrote:

I haven't read anything, but I would bet by the end of this year or early 2009. It kinda sorta seems like they are trailing 5400RPM drives (at the same capacity) by a good 6-9 months. That being said, things are really hoping in the 2.5" space. It could happen sooner rather than later. Competition is fierce with laptops being so hot. It's also driving prices down like crazy. Very Happy
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris..S wrote:
So Western Digital finally joins the 7200RPM notebook disk crowd and with a 320Gb disk too. Power requirements are the same as their 5400RPM cousins and although WD doesn't give start up power requirements (unlike Hitachi and Seagate, both ~5W) the quoted 2.5W for read/write means it could run off a single USB port.

I would love to use one of these for an external when powered eSATA comes out, it would be as fast as any internal with that kind of connection.

"When history is forgotten people don't realize when it repeats."

Going to Missouri S&T!!
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like I might need to get one for my PS3 Razz
scooper
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone seen the 320GB model for sale anywhere? I don't see it listed at any of the stores that I shop at.
zen

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet there will be 1TB 2.5" drives by late 2009
Master8

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
All these new high capacity notebook drive entries must be the reason why you can now get the 200gb 7200rpm drives from Hitachi and Seagate at bargain basement prices (under $120). I'm tempted to buy the Hitachi while it's on $30 rebate special (OtherWorld Computing), but I still have 40gb left on my Seagate 7200.2 (120gb).

I have the 200GB Hitachi Travelstar 7K200 in my Mac mini. It's a little nosier than the stock 5400-rpm drive it replaced, but it performs so much better. I just wish that I had waited a little longer to buy one. I paid almost $160 dollars for mine.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOCOMRAIDER wrote:

You running Linux on that thing? Wink
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
SOCOMRAIDER wrote:

You running Linux on that thing? Wink
I've thought about it, but I don't think I will. Currently I only have 5GB left on my 60GB. That is going to used up come this Thursday. I have so many files on my rig. Even though I can stream them from my computer, I like to save them on my PS3 so I don't have to turn on my Mac.

I've recommended it to my cousin since he doesn't have any computer. I think I'll stick with my Mac. My PS3 is my multimedia/home theater workhorse.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOCOMRAIDER wrote:
I don't think I will. Currently I only have 5GB left on my 60GB. That is going to used up come this Thursday. I have so many files on my rig. Even though I can stream them from my computer, I like to save them on my PS3 so I don't have to turn on my Mac.

I was going to one time, but decided to pass. Plus, the old 80GB out of my Mac mini was just about full. I'm might just throw a regular (5400 RPM) 250GB WD in there one of these days. They are selling for like under a hundred now. I would really just like to have more space for movies.
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
I would really just like to have more space for movies.
There's 720p and 1080p Blu-Ray rips online. My cousin has a few. They clock in at almost 4GB for just the 720p ones!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: