123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Broadband prices
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Networking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chris..S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
BTW likely your telco is running fiber to a cabinet within your neighborhood.

Not yet. Most of BT residential is copper from residence to the exchange. Fibre to the street is supposed to be coming soon.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris..S wrote:
Bandit Bill wrote:
BTW likely your telco is running fiber to a cabinet within your neighborhood.

Not yet. Most of BT residential is copper from residence to the exchange. Fibre to the street is supposed to be coming soon.

Then your network is certainly different than ours (Canada). Here, there is fiber run to every cabinet throughout the city. These cabinets also contain ADSL equipment. They are located about every 2-3 km apart. Then its copper from those cabinets to the older homes. Any home built within the last 4 years has a mix of fiber and copper to the house. ADSL is still currently only offered through copper unless you are a beta tester for fiber.

Maybe that's part of the reason the UK's cellular system is so much better. They probably put all their money towards it and are neglecting the wired network.
Chris..S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In cities exchanges are often not much more than 2-3km apart, if that, so it might not be that bad. As for cellular, I think that's more due to higher subscriber density, most of Britain is pretty heavily populated. Once you've got your coverage on all major cities and towns and the highways/railways that link them, there isn't that much of the country left.
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
If they don't fix it they are just being lazy and they don't deserve your business. They are a telco. They should take pride in providing a clean, clear phone signal. I can understand issues with a Telco trying to provide television service, but not phone service.

To be fair to BT, the engineers that they've sent have always said "If this problem comes back, give us a call...". I suppose that after calling them out 2 or 3 times, I'm the one who's given up on getting it fixed. But if you think that there's still hope here, Bill, then I suppose I should get back onto them.

I phoned Virgin Media this morning, and they were pretty unrepentant. They just said that £10/month was an introductory offer lasting for a year, and now that 12 months has passed, I'm back to paying the 'standard' £18/month tariff. I said thank you, and that I would decide whether to stay with Virgin or switch. And that was that!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Networking All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: