123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Did you buy a Time Capsule?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Member Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Did you buy a Time Capsule?
Yes, 500GB
13%
 13%  [ 6 ]
Yes, 1TB
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Not yet, but I'm going to
31%
 31%  [ 14 ]
No plans on buying one
52%
 52%  [ 23 ]
Total Votes : 44

ESUNintel

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I'm not sooo sure, I know it backups every night around midnight, it does one computer at a time, so it's usually done by 1AM. It backups the hard drive as it is in the Mac. If a Mac were to crash it is easier to back it up from Time Capsule than it would be the server.
Pleiades
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see. For me, the big huge benefit of Time Machine and/or Time Capsule is the fact that it can do incremental backups, and since it's an Apple based solution, it captures all potential metadata that OS X uses.

I don't have a Time Capsule myself, but I am rolling network Time Machine backups by using my iMac that lives in my home theater system as a TM destination. I back up both the iMac and my girlfriend's MacBook on there, and it's been working like a champ since February. The backups on her MacBook take 5 to 10 minutes tops, and happen without any user interaction.
ESUNintel

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ClunkClunk wrote:
I see. For me, the big huge benefit of Time Machine and/or Time Capsule is the fact that it can do incremental backups, and since it's an Apple based solution, it captures all potential metadata that OS X uses.

I don't have a Time Capsule myself, but I am rolling network Time Machine backups by using my iMac that lives in my home theater system as a TM destination. I back up both the iMac and my girlfriend's MacBook on there, and it's been working like a champ since February. The backups on her MacBook take 5 to 10 minutes tops, and happen without any user interaction.

I'm happy with the WHS right now, since it does provide my the ease of remote access, and allows me to grant other users access to certain files; however, as I do find my self loosing my PC's to Mac's, I have really considered replacing the WHS with an OS X Server running on an iMac or even a Mini (I still have too look into how a RAID would work though), that way I don't have to worry about Windows messing something up. I'll see what happens though, cause I do use it for both personal use and my business, and I still have 2 PC's to worry about, one of them being a main desktop. ...but like I said, if they break down badly, or once it's time for an upgrade I'm more inclined to get a Mac over a PC now. If it becomes REALLY necessary to upgrade my server than I might consider a Mac Pro or even a real Apple server, but I guess it depends how my business does, as I barely started it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Member Polls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: