123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Which Office suite do you use?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Member Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which Office suite do you use?
MS Office
33%
 33%  [ 21 ]
OpenOffice
12%
 12%  [ 8 ]
NeoOffice
11%
 11%  [ 7 ]
Apple iWork
36%
 36%  [ 23 ]
Other (please explain)
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
I don't use an office suite
4%
 4%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 63

ESUNintel

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NadiaGeek wrote:
For my Mac I use Office, for my Windows PCs I use Open Office. I had Microsoft Office for Windows, but lost the damn installation CD. I know you can download the program, but I feel no need to. I have it on my Mac, and Open Office can save in Office format, which is what my school uses. iWork, while being nice, doesn't get my dollar until it can save and work with Office formats. My school uses all office, so the doc and docx type files are necessary for me, and Open Office is great for being free.

iWork could convert to Office format, it's just a pain though, it's not something it does for you automatically, and if you don't get used to converting the document, you'll end up sending someone something they can't open.
NadiaGeek

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ESUNintel wrote:
NadiaGeek wrote:
For my Mac I use Office, for my Windows PCs I use Open Office. I had Microsoft Office for Windows, but lost the damn installation CD. I know you can download the program, but I feel no need to. I have it on my Mac, and Open Office can save in Office format, which is what my school uses. iWork, while being nice, doesn't get my dollar until it can save and work with Office formats. My school uses all office, so the doc and docx type files are necessary for me, and Open Office is great for being free.

iWork could convert to Office format, it's just a pain though, it's not something it does for you automatically, and if you don't get used to converting the document, you'll end up sending someone something they can't open.

I didn't even know that it could. I'll have to check it out. If it is a pain, as you say, maybe it can be automated with AppleScript? I'll have to read more on that.

iMac G3

1GB iPod Shuffle

2GB iPod Nano

Too Many PCs to Name

ESUNintel

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NadiaGeek wrote:
I didn't even know that it could. I'll have to check it out. If it is a pain, as you say, maybe it can be automated with AppleScript? I'll have to read more on that.

...actually, it's not a pain to do, just the fact that if you forget to do it in iWork you'll end up with a file you can't open on a PC. All you do is select file, than export. Than just pick PDF, Word, RTF, or Plain Text. That's for iWork08, not sure about others.
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read that after all of the pressure that MS has been under to stop locking end-users in, the next version of Office will be able to natively save to ODF and PDF format. All that's needed is for other office suites to include ODF as an export format, and our interoperability worries will (hopefully) be over...
threengs

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MS Office only because my wife is a MS Office master certified trainer.
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

threengs wrote:
MS Office only because my wife is a MS Office master certified trainer.

What does she think of OpenOffice?
threengs

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think she's ever used open office quite frankly. The main thing about being a trainer in MS Office is knowing the fastest way to do things. Keyboard short cuts are one of the main training points. At least that's the impression I get from me wife.
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

threengs wrote:
I don't think she's ever used open office quite frankly. The main thing about being a trainer in MS Office is knowing the fastest way to do things. Keyboard short cuts are one of the main training points. At least that's the impression I get from me wife.

Oh, okay. I'm always on the lookout for a business opportunity and I wondered if there was any money to be made in charging companies a 'small' amount to re-train their staff to use OpenOffice, in order to re-coup a larger amount when Microsoft software licences aren't renewed. Just curious! Smile
Livenstak

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both MS and NeoOffice. MS I use more with my Windows-created files, to avoid compatibility issues (I had some), while I use Neo for my Mac-created stuff.
jazzman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to write a lot - sometimes as much as 20 - 30 pages in a day. I usually use OpenOffice and all my business stationery is in OpenOffice but I use MS when editing documents sent to me in MS. For web content and layout work I use TextWrangler or BBedit.
I prefer to be able to do most formatting from the menu bar rather than have palettes open everywhere.
Mac+, SE30, Classic, 4400 (metal), 603, LC475, iMac bondi (3), iBk orange. In use: iBk 'ice' G3/500, PB12" G4, Mini C2D 1.83, MacBkPro 13", WiFi hub, 1 mouse & 1 keyb thru Teleport, 3 Acer 19", 1 Acer 23"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Member Polls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: