123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Which iPod?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 5:35 pm    Post subject: Which iPod? Reply with quote

I've got an iPod Shuffle (1st gen) and when listening, it's easy to work out where you are on a music album because each song is distinctive and you can just recognise the track. Thing is, I listen to a lot of audiobooks, and it's hard to pick up where you last left off and work out where the hell you are because narration is just narration, and it's pretty similar throughout the whole audiobook.

So I want to get an iPod with a screen, so I can visually see which chapter I'm listening to and how far through I am.

I've been onto eBay, and it's a nightmare - the prices are all over the place. iPod Shuffles are being sold at any price between £15 and £55 Shocked . Minis are anywhere between £45 and £65. 1st or 2nd gen Nanos start at £40 and go up to £70 or £80. A seller in the US is apparently selling 3rd gen Nanos for £40+P&P. There's just no pattern to prices at all; first gen Minis are selling for more than 2nd gen Nanos... it's crazy.

So, I thought that the best strategy would be to nail down what I wanted, and go from there. I like the idea of flash memory more than a microdrive, but the 1st gen Nano had problems with screen scratches, so the obvious choice is the 2nd gen Nano. Cool. All I have to do is track down a unit refurb'd by Apple and I'll be happy as Larry....

But then I saw this video review of the 3rd gen Nano, and fell in love. Even without my pre-existing admiration for Apple products, the Nano mark III just knocks me on my arse. It's just an awesome piece of technology.

So if I were to buy a 3rd gen Nano, will I be perfectly happy with the 4GB model? Or am I likely to regret not buying the 8GB model? What does everyone think? Confused
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just found another review of the 3rd gen Nano which says that its sound quality is "good, but not great".... Sad
nmbob

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can tell how "bad" the audio is with a couple of earbud sweating in your ears I think you have bigger problems than we can help you with. Smile The audio quality is just fine.

Get the 8GB, then there won't be any problem...unless you're me and you discover the world of VIDEO, then you're going to want to get a 16GB Touch, which is what I ended up doing. They both have their uses.

Bob
Pleiades
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So many things affect sound quality, I wouldn't worry about it too much, unless you're an audiophile.

If your primary use is audiobooks, if you listen to highly compressed formats (160kbit or less), or if you use inexpensive earphones, I don't think you're going to notice a lick of difference with the 3G iPod Nano versus other models.

However, some folks do have the ears and the equipment to notice the difference, so it's something to be aware of if you're of that type.
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JB. I would think about putting that nano money towards a refurbished 8GB touch. The device just does so much more.
trustory
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben_tex wrote:
JB. I would think about putting that nano money towards a refurbished 8GB touch. The device just does so much more.

Its also a hell of a lot bigger. Size is a big consideration for some folks.
iPhone 4 Black 16GB
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trustory wrote:
Its also a hell of a lot bigger. Size is a big consideration for some folks.

No doubt. That being said, the touch is pretty sleek. It's only 1.5" taller and 3/8" wider than the nano. The thickness is almost a wash. I mean it's not like you're toting around an elephant. Didn't Steve Jobs say it was one of the wonders of the world? Wink
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies, fellas. You've reassured me about the Nano sound quality.

As for buying an iPod Touch - well the prices (incl. sales tax) look like this: refurb'd 2nd gen 2GB Nano, £47; refurb'd 3rd gen 4GB Nano, £69; refurb'd 8GB Touch, £169. So moving from a Nano to a Touch is quite a step up in price, and is probably more than I want to spend to keep track of my audiobook's progress.
Bobaloo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the iPod touch and my wife was so impressed, she bought one to replace her Palm. It does everything that a Palm did and much more. If you need something to replace a Palm, the iPod Touch will suit your needs and more.
AppleTVII
16GB iPod Touch 32Gb iPhone
32GB Wi-Fi iPad
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My daughter bought the current nano earlier in the year and I have to say its superb. Size wise its about half the size of my iPod video and so much thinner. The screen size although slightly smaller doesn't look bad at all. I would definitely buy a nano rather than a classic if I was changing my iPod Video.

For me though it would probably be the Touch, the additional features would make it worth the cost difference and allow me to ditch my HP ipaq PDA. Ideally it would be an iPhone but the high contract prices would prevent me for going that route.

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
supasnail

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking at getting a new Palm, or an HP IPAQ beacuse I wanted a wi-fi PDA, and I was wishing apple did a PDA then it dawned on me that that's pretty much what the Touch is. It confuses me why shops don't include the iPod Touch in their PDA section rather than the MP3 section. It looks an amazing device (especially considering the forthcoming firmware upgrade that'll allow you to 'legally' install applications) and I've now settled on getting the 16GB - just looking around for the best price now.
TheDoctor

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the 16Gb touch to replace my failed G4.

As to the sound quality, I defy anyone to tell the difference. Unless you are listening in a quiet room on a pair of Ec3s then all iPods will be very similar.

If like me, you are mainly listening while outside or on public transport, then any iPod will be fine for sound and your choice falls to capacity, size and features.
Mac SE 8Mhz, 2MB, 40GB Seagate, 6.07
Bobaloo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would definitely recommend replacing the earbuds with others. The new iPod earbuds seem bigger and don't fit in my ear the same way the older ones did, not to mention they don't sound great. I got a pair of Sennheiser noise canceling earbuds which weren't too expensive, but they stay in my ear and sound decent.
AppleTVII
16GB iPod Touch 32Gb iPhone
32GB Wi-Fi iPad
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well until the touch or iPhone can do internet radio I'm sticking to my iPaq, even iTunes radio would be enough since I've found a couple stations with what I like on there.

"When history is forgotten people don't realize when it repeats."

Going to Missouri S&T!!
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobaloo wrote:
I have the iPod touch and my wife was so impressed, she bought one to replace her Palm. It does everything that a Palm did and much more. If you need something to replace a Palm, the iPod Touch will suit your needs and more.

Thank you Bobaloo, I hadn't thought of the Touch as a PDA. If OmniGroup would just write a version of OmniOutliner for the iPhone/Touch, I would be over to the Apple store like a shot... Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> iPods All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: