123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Which Office suite do you use?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Member Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which Office suite do you use?
MS Office
33%
 33%  [ 21 ]
OpenOffice
12%
 12%  [ 8 ]
NeoOffice
11%
 11%  [ 7 ]
Apple iWork
36%
 36%  [ 23 ]
Other (please explain)
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
I don't use an office suite
4%
 4%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 63

hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I slowly converted all my MS office stuff to iWork files... I'm in heaven!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Bobaloo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use iWork '08 for the most part, mainly because Office is not universal. When it becomes universal, I'll upgrade, but probably still use iWork.
AppleTVII
16GB iPod Touch 32Gb iPhone
32GB Wi-Fi iPad
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobaloo wrote:
I use iWork '08 for the most part, mainly because Office is not universal. When it becomes universal, I'll upgrade, but probably still use iWork.

I switched to iWork '08 for the same reason (Office 2004 being dog slow with Rosetta). The addition of Numbers didn't hurt either. I can't even see myself buying Office 2008 now. I just like iWork '08 that much.
Bobaloo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
Bobaloo wrote:

I switched to iWork '08 for the same reason (Office 2004 being dog slow with Rosetta). The addition of Numbers didn't hurt either. I can't even see myself buying Office 2008 now. I just like iWork '08 that much.

I know what you mean, but I will buy the Student Teacher Edition of Office '08 when it comes out for my daughter as she will be going to college next fall and I want to be sure she's compatible there. With the student teacher version, it can be installed on 3 computers. I'll install it on the 2 Macs here which are Intel and I'll be buying her a 17" MacBook Pro for graduation.
AppleTVII
32GB Wi-Fi iPad
Futa_Mill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobaloo wrote:
devo wrote:
Bobaloo wrote:

I know what you mean, but I will buy the Student Teacher Edition of Office '08 when it comes out for my daughter as she will be going to college next fall and I want to be sure she's compatible there. With the student teacher version, it can be installed on 3 computers. I'll install it on the 2 Macs here which are Intel and I'll be buying her a 17" MacBook Pro for graduation.

Why not just just use neoOffice it is just as good but is free.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of iWork...I used Keynote to give a presentation for the first time yesterday. I have to say it is very slick.

I need to learn a bit more about the features...but having had ZERO experience with it previously, it was very easy to put together a competent presentation.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Bobaloo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just picked up Office 2008 today. So far, I like the looks of it and it's much faster now that it's universal. I only used Entourage and Word. The last of the BIG apps to become Universal.
AppleTVII
32GB Wi-Fi iPad
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobaloo wrote:
Just picked up Office 2008 today. So far, I like the looks of it and it's much faster now that it's universal. I only used Entourage and Word. The last of the BIG apps to become Universal.

Cool! How would you rate the overall speed of Word compared to Pages or iWork '08 in general?
Bobaloo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
Bobaloo wrote:

Cool! How would you rate the overall speed of Word compared to Pages or iWork '08 in general?

I can't say just yet that it faster than Pages, that will take a getting used to. It seems as though Word launches about as fast as Pages now. I like the new features in Office '08, a lot of similarities to iWork now. Office has a Project Gallery where you select from templates which then launch the app to create them, not only Word, but Excel, etc. Entourage is much faster now, I'll be using it for awhile to see if I want to go back to it entirely. It does have something called My Day which launches sort of a desktop PalmPilot where your daily schedule is from your Entourage calendar. Overall, I like the look and feel of Office 2008. As Steve said, 'the last of the big apps to come to Intel!'
More updates to follow.
AppleTVII
32GB Wi-Fi iPad
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like you're a happy camper then. I wouldn't mind giving Word and Entourage a look. I'm just too busy with building RC planes at the moment. All of my "mad" money is going towards that one.
WheelSpinners
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a trial version of Office 2008? I don't see anything on the Microsoft site.
Bobaloo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
It sounds like you're a happy camper then. I wouldn't mind giving Word and Entourage a look. I'm just too busy with building RC planes at the moment. All of my "mad" money is going towards that one.

Now after a month of using Microsoft Office 2008, the consensus here is that it sucks. I've gone back to using iWork '08, my wife who is a graphic designer and has to use Word, finds it to be very slow. My daughter is using it for school and will use it when she goes to college in the fall, (with a brand new 17" MacBook Pro.) I've also gone back to using Mac Mail and iCal rather than Entourage. If you have to use Word, than you should get it, but if not, go with iWork for less money.
AppleTVII
32GB Wi-Fi iPad
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ClunkClunk wrote:
I'm a bit different. I use WriteRoom to do my raw writing, then I use InDesign to format documents.

I've just stumbled upon a free alternative to WriteRoom, thanks to a very complementary article about Bean.

Shift-command-F switches Bean into (and out of) full-screen mode, with a combination of white text on a blue background, which is very easy on the eye. Not bad for a 1.3MB download!
ESUNintel

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on my mood. If I'm happy with Microsoft that day I'll use Office 2008, if I feel like a Mac geek, than I'll use iWork. Haha, actually it depends on how creative I need to be, I find my self being more creative with iWork, like creating tables, charts, etc... Although it is easier to use SmartArt in Office 2008. If I'm virtualizing or if I need to use Access, than I'll use Office 2007, although I find myself creating databases and data vaults with FileMaker Pro a lot more often lately. FileMaker rocks!!! Very Happy
NadiaGeek

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For my Mac I use Office, for my Windows PCs I use Open Office. I had Microsoft Office for Windows, but lost the damn installation CD. I know you can download the program, but I feel no need to. I have it on my Mac, and Open Office can save in Office format, which is what my school uses. iWork, while being nice, doesn't get my dollar until it can save and work with Office formats. My school uses all office, so the doc and docx type files are necessary for me, and Open Office is great for being free.

iMac G3

1GB iPod Shuffle

2GB iPod Nano

Too Many PCs to Name

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Member Polls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: