123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can I transfer photos FROM the Apple TV back to a computer?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Apple TV
View previous topic :: View next topic  
melk

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:11 pm    Post subject: Can I transfer photos FROM the Apple TV back to a computer? Reply with quote

Hi all,

I just received an AppleTV as a gift from my father. He had connected it to his iMac and loaded it up with pictures. Is there any way I can transfer these back to a local machine?

Thanks Smile
ESUNintel

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 12:25 am    Post subject: I don't think you can the way AppleTV is set-up Reply with quote

As far as I know, you can't transfer anything from Apple TV back to your PC, other than downloads and/or to the original PC used to set it up. I suppose if you unplug the HDD, and than place it in an enclosure, than you would be able too; but that would void your warranty. I hope someone else on the forum has a solution, as it be good to learn how to transfer back to your computer, even if it involves hacking AppleTV.
NadiaGeek

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to hack the Apple TV in order to do it. I don't know if Apple did this intentionally or if they didn't think of adding that feature. Who knows. The Apple TV really is useless, considering that a Mac Mini for a few hundred more can do the same thing and is an actual, full-fledged computer!

Apple needs to add more features and lower the price, then the AppleTV would serve a purpose.

iMac G3

1GB iPod Shuffle

2GB iPod Nano

Too Many PCs to Name

ESUNintel

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Apple needs to add more features and lower the price, then the AppleTV would serve a purpose.

The AppleTV is like an iPod for the living room, so it serves its purpose, that would be like saying an iPod doesn't serve it's purpose because it won't let you transfer back to your computer.

Apple did file for a patent that adds DVR capabilities to ATV, if that ever becomes a reality, than they will have to allow people to transfer content to their computer. Considering it runs an Intel processor, RAM, an HDD, it really is like a computer, so Apple could use it for a lot more than the designed it to do, or you can hack it; many have even installed OS X on it successfully.
NadiaGeek

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ESUNintel wrote:
Quote:

The AppleTV is like an iPod for the living room, so it serves its purpose, that would be like saying an iPod doesn't serve it's purpose because it won't let you transfer back to your computer.

Apple did file for a patent that adds DVR capabilities to ATV, if that ever becomes a reality, than they will have to allow people to transfer content to their computer. Considering it runs an Intel processor, RAM, an HDD, it really is like a computer, so Apple could use it for a lot more than the designed it to do, or you can hack it; many have even installed OS X on it successfully.

An iPod does let you transfer back to your computer, which is why I use it to carry non-music and video files. Secondly, the iPod serves a purpose because you can take it with you on a subway, a car, or a long walk. You can't take the AppleTV any place you can't take a Mac Mini. Why bother buying an AppleTV and all the cords for over $400 after tax when you can get a standard Mini for $550? Assuming you don't have to buy the keyboard and mouse from Apple. And don't even bring up the 40gig AppleTV. Anyone who wants to set up a serious media center needs more than 40gigs.

If you hack it, you lose your warranty. Why? Buy the Mini and leave it be and keep your warranty. Your argument will hold water when they discontinue the Mini.

iMac G3

1GB iPod Shuffle

2GB iPod Nano

Too Many PCs to Name

ESUNintel

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NadiaGeek wrote:
ESUNintel wrote:
Quote:

An iPod does let you transfer back to your computer, which is why I use it to carry non-music and video files. Secondly, the iPod serves a purpose because you can take it with you on a subway, a car, or a long walk. You can't take the AppleTV any place you can't take a Mac Mini. Why bother buying an AppleTV and all the cords for over $400 after tax when you can get a standard Mini for $550? Assuming you don't have to buy the keyboard and mouse from Apple. And don't even bring up the 40gig AppleTV. Anyone who wants to set up a serious media center needs more than 40gigs.

If you hack it, you lose your warranty. Why? Buy the Mini and leave it be and keep your warranty. Your argument will hold water when they discontinue the Mini.

ATV has an HDMI output, which the Mini lacks, as well as component and optical outputs. How would you set-up a Mac Mini if you have a nice LCD and surround system? Sure it has DVI, and you could buy a DVI to HDMI cable, but some TV's will not be able to display this the right way. The Mini only has an AUX output for audio, and nice surround systems rather use HDMI or Optical for Audio.
When was the last time you were able to transfer a song from your iPod to a computer? Sure, files can be transfered, not songs of videos, with the iPhone and touch being the exception for songs you purchase via WiFi.
As a DVR the Mini is amazing, if you want the BEST picture and sound, the Mini will not work as well as Apple TV (not that ATV is perfect since it won't do 1080P).

...besides, this is not helping melk out at all, sorry melk.
NadiaGeek

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ESUNintel wrote:
NadiaGeek wrote:
ESUNintel wrote:
Quote:

ATV has an HDMI output, which the Mini lacks, as well as component and optical outputs. How would you set-up a Mac Mini if you have a nice LCD and surround system? Sure it has DVI, and you could buy a DVI to HDMI cable, but some TV's will not be able to display this the right way. The Mini only has an AUX output for audio, and nice surround systems rather use HDMI or Optical for Audio.
When was the last time you were able to transfer a song from your iPod to a computer? Sure, files can be transfered, not songs of videos, with the iPhone and touch being the exception for songs you purchase via WiFi.
As a DVR the Mini is amazing, if you want the BEST picture and sound, the Mini will not work as well as Apple TV (not that ATV is perfect since it won't do 1080P).

...besides, this is not helping melk out at all, sorry melk.

I have an LCD hooked up to the Mini, and it displays fine. Not to mention that most new LCD TVs come with a VGA port, and you get a DVI to VGA with the Mini. Secondly, you most certainly can transfer music and movies from the iPod to the computer. You can't transfer songs and videos bought off the iTunes store, so you are right about that. But just regular songs and videos you did not buy from iTunes, you can. I do it all the time. The only reason you can't with the iTune bought songs is because copyright laws. You can only have the files in 5 iTune libraries.

I think the ATV is a waste of money, but you are entitled to your opinions. And there is no helping the poster of the original message. You simply cannot transfer them back without hacking it, and I don't know how to do that.

As for your bit about the surround sound system on the Mini, well, you got me on that. Unless you buy a USB surround system, and then a few other components to hook the TV up to them. But that would cost a lot. So the ATV may have that advantage, but the Mini has the advantage of being an actual computer, too.

iMac G3

1GB iPod Shuffle

2GB iPod Nano

Too Many PCs to Name

fberens

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every Mac Mini after the Apple Mac mini G4/1.5 have optical (digital)in/out audio minijacks!
ESUNintel

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fberens wrote:
Every Mac Mini after the Apple Mac mini G4/1.5 have optical (digital)in/out audio minijacks!

I don't think you could use an optical cable though? Just an AUX cable.
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ESUNintel wrote:
I don't think you could use an optical cable though? Just an AUX cable.

You can use a Toslink (digital audio) cable with the Intel Mac minis, but not with the G4s.
iLife's a Bitch!
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few things:

Melk,

You CAN transfer those pesky pictures from the ATV to your machine. Check out AppleCoreLLC It's a fairly simply software upgrade/hack that DOES NOT VOID YOUR WARRANY!

ESUNintel,

Yes, optical out and the ability for surround sound with a Mini (Intel) is possible. I agree with your thoughts on the ATV though, me being a new owner of one, I can say it is waaay easier to set up and operate than toting a Mini around.

NadiaGeek,

Transferring media FROM an iPod is not a factory option. You must be using some sort of 3rd party software to make that happen.

Yes, a Mini is a computer that is small but, if I wanted to go away for the weekend and just wanted to take my music, pics and movies to watch on a friend or family members HDTV, an ATV is waaaaay easier. Plug in the power, attached an HDMI cable and I'm done. To lug around a mini, it's power brick (there's none on the ATV) a keyboard and mouse, speakers or the required cables would all be too much hassle.
Not too mention the fact that my wife and kids can now watch all the movies, music, podcasts and pictures stored on all 6 of our machines with no hassle or confusion, all with a simple, little, white remote, simple blows away the ease of use of a Mini.

Hands down, whether you know it, like it or even care about it, the AppleTV simply blows away a Mini for ease of use and portability for all media uses.

If you don't have one, you should go to an Apple store an check them out. Then after purchasing one, install the software I linked to above.

I have a 750GB hard drive connected to my 40GB ATV. 790GB of media, not too shabby.

My 2 cents. . .
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
ESUNintel

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hackersmovie wrote:
A few things:

That was a nice sum up and educational cap of everything. That aTV flash "hack" seems great, thanks for posting that!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Apple TV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: